Hotsprings Sovereign - Temp Set To 102, Actual Temp Is 105

rihallix

We just bought a Hot Springs Sovereign, we've had it ~3 weeks. If we set the temperature to 102F the actual temperature next day is 105F - way too hot. Where we live it has been in the 70s, so it is not the weather heating it up. We called the dealership (who seem to take a long time responding) who contacted the factory but haven't had any response in 2 weeks (despite being promised a response in a week).

The solution seems to be to set the temperature 3F under what you actually want - does this seem right for a top of the range spa which we payed $10k for?

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue with a HotSprings unit?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's on the Sovereign LCD screen display that's built into the spa. I'm not sure where the sensor is.

The sensor is mounted in the heater. It is a thermistor. You will need to have a Tech check it. There is a resistance value chart to test the thermistor. But if you have it set to 102 and it heats to 105 my guess would be a bad thermistor. But this needs to be tested to confirm that.

• 2 weeks later...

I am really disappointed with Hot Springs! We decided not to buy a Costco (Strong) Spa at the 11th hour because we *thought* Hot Springs would have better customer service. We were very wrong. I am impressed by the presence of Strong on this forum - but don't seem to see much presence from HotSprings (pls treat this as your wake up call Watkins!).

Our spa arrived 3 weeks ago. We followed the instructions and set it to 102F, the next day it was 105F. We reported this to the HotSprings dealer - the owner said there's nothing he could do, the factory were not even being helpful.

With the situation continuing, after some persistence the local dealer sent a techie out to look at the tub. He confirmed the issue - and reported to the factory that with the temperature set to 101F, and the temperature in the spa at 101F the spa continued to heat. HotSprings dismissed the issue to their techie.

Perhaps it's just me, but when you spend near double the price on a spa I would expect that the temperature I set is the temperature of the spa (I recall a Jerry Seinfeld sketch about renting cars). I work in computers and if there's one thing I'd think to QA test if I were Hot Springs it would be the spa actually warms to the temperature that you set.

If HotSprings is able to truly be accountable and resolve the problem I will repost and vindicate them. Right now I am truly disappointed at a company charging a premium price that does not deliver on service. Calls to the dealer and the factory seem futile.

Rihallix

I am really disappointed with Hot Springs! We decided not to buy a Costco (Strong) Spa at the 11th hour because we *thought* Hot Springs would have better customer service. We were very wrong. I am impressed by the presence of Strong on this forum - but don't seem to see much presence from HotSprings (pls treat this as your wake up call Watkins!).

Our spa arrived 3 weeks ago. We followed the instructions and set it to 102F, the next day it was 105F. We reported this to the HotSprings dealer - the owner said there's nothing he could do, the factory were not even being helpful.

With the situation continuing, after some persistence the local dealer sent a techie out to look at the tub. He confirmed the issue - and reported to the factory that with the temperature set to 101F, and the temperature in the spa at 101F the spa continued to heat. HotSprings dismissed the issue to their techie.

Perhaps it's just me, but when you spend near double the price on a spa I would expect that the temperature I set is the temperature of the spa (I recall a Jerry Seinfeld sketch about renting cars). I work in computers and if there's one thing I'd think to QA test if I were Hot Springs it would be the spa actually warms to the temperature that you set.

If HotSprings is able to truly be accountable and resolve the problem I will repost and vindicate them. Right now I am truly disappointed at a company charging a premium price that does not deliver on service. Calls to the dealer and the factory seem futile.

Rihallix

Sorry to hear that. This is not Hot Springs norm trust me. Did the tech check the resistance of the thermistor based off the actual water temp? Something is out of calibration the thermistor or in the actual IQ.

Sorry to hear that. This is not Hot Springs norm trust me. Did the tech check the resistance of the thermistor based off the actual water temp? Something is out of calibration the thermistor or in the actual IQ.

Don't know. He said there's no way of calibrating these new digital units - in the old days you could change a variable resistor, but now it's a self-contained computerized unit. I assume he knows his stuff, and he called the factory and spoke to a Hot Springs tech who could not offer anything more than dismissing the issue.

It's not HotSpring that's dropping the ball here, it's the dealer. If it were one of my customers I would be out within a day or two depending on how busy things are. And he doesn't know his stuff or he is just giving you a line of BS because there are still thermistors in the new models. It's either the thermistors or the control head needs to be changed.

Don't know. He said there's no way of calibrating these new digital units - in the old days you could change a variable resistor, but now it's a self-contained computerized unit. I assume he knows his stuff, and he called the factory and spoke to a Hot Springs tech who could not offer anything more than dismissing the issue.

I would request him come back. You be home and see for yourself what the resistance value is write it down. When he checks the temp of the water write that down post it here. There are many of us that can tell you if the thermistor value is correct compared to the water temp. Also let me know how he determines the water of your spa. I have to agree with the above poster here. He dont know his stuff.

At 101 Degrees those thermistors should have a resistance value of 5.2 - 6k Ohms anything different they need to be replaced.

I am sorry you are having trouble with Hot Spring. My experience with them is just the opposite. Even owning a second hand spa that is 16 years old (many spas are junk in 1/4 of that time).... I go in, the local dealer treats me like I am a friend. He will help me, happy to chat about the spa... no agenda (I thought I wanted to add an ozone system, and he talked me out of it).

Those rare times when something breaks, they really jump through hoops for me. My local dealer is making a nationwide search for the original thermostat I want.. they have the new replacement in stock, but are willing to go an look for the one I want.

Very good company. I would dearly love to buy a new spa from them, but this retired / disabled vet is just happy to have the hot water soak that makes my life so much more worth living.

We have a new Vanguard with the same problem. The controller read 103 with the set point at 100 degrees. The dealer said this is a known problem but the factory does not have a fix for it. The dealer installed some additional insulation on the inside of the removable front access panel and said it would help. I don't understand why, but it did reduce the difference from three degrees to two degrees. Still, two degrees is too much of a difference on a $10K spa. Watkins needs to kick some engineering butt and offer a real fix. Plus or minus one degree is acceptable but no more than that. :angry:

I disagree. Its simply a matter of good controller design. I'm not talking about the temperature display vs a external independent thermometer. I would expect a difference there. But the internal thermistor sensor which is part of the controller's control system should match the set point within a degree in any well designed system. At the very least there should be an offset compensation adjustment to "calibrate" the circuit.

this is kind of obvious to post that you should have gotten a Strong Spa for half the price that keeps temps. I do wish you the best with your Hot Springs, but what happened in the "11th hour" to change your mind?

DK117

I've respectfully stayed out of the strong spas threads and here you are sticking your nose in here with nothing to offer but a dig on HotSpring. Well maybe if they bought a Strong Spa it could have been one of the 5 that I've cut up and thrown away from customers that bought new spas from me over the last couple of years.

HotSpring doesn't have a presence on this board because rather than get into ridiculous debates they have a 1-800 number to talk directly with them.

Rihallix, I recommend calling the 800 number listed in your owners manual. (I think it's 800 999-4688 but I haven't had to call in a while) Get in touch with customer service and tell them you are not happy with the problem you are having and haven't received any acceptable response from the dealer.

I am sorry you are having trouble with Hot Spring. My experience with them is just the opposite. Even owning a second hand spa that is 16 years old (many spas are junk in 1/4 of that time).... I go in, the local dealer treats me like I am a friend. He will help me, happy to chat about the spa... no agenda (I thought I wanted to add an ozone system, and he talked me out of it).

Those rare times when something breaks, they really jump through hoops for me. My local dealer is making a nationwide search for the original thermostat I want.. they have the new replacement in stock, but are willing to go an look for the one I want.

Very good company. I would dearly love to buy a new spa from them, but this retired / disabled vet is just happy to have the hot water soak that makes my life so much more worth living.

A 16 year old Hot Springs is a better tub than the new Hot Springs. Anyone who has done spa tech work for HS can tell you the older stuff is bulletproof.

Manufacturing proprietary components to chase water in circles leads to new problems, and obviously these problems haven't been worked out.

I would request him come back. You be home and see for yourself what the resistance value is write it down. When he checks the temp of the water write that down post it here. There are many of us that can tell you if the thermistor value is correct compared to the water temp. Also let me know how he determines the water of your spa. I have to agree with the above poster here. He dont know his stuff.

At 101 Degrees those thermistors should have a resistance value of 5.2 - 6k Ohms anything different they need to be replaced.

Not trying to but in here, but I have a hotsprings spa with a high limit thermistor resistance of 8.4 ohms at 82 degrees. Is that normal?

A 16 year old Hot Springs is a better tub than the new Hot Springs. Anyone who has done spa tech work for HS can tell you the older stuff is bulletproof.

Manufacturing proprietary components to chase water in circles leads to new problems, and obviously these problems haven't been worked out.

Same thing with a 16 year old mustang, ford f-150, corvette, dodge charger, etc. With technology comes new obstacles. Are the jets and lights and features as plentiful and enjoyable on a 16 year old HotSpring vs a 2010 model?

I just retired my 1993 Prodigy. It was great, but I enjoy a 2010 Envoy much more.

Right now the set temperature is 100F and the actual reported 102F - this has been fairly consistent for several days.

Frankly I don't have time to chase up. I've already called the dealer multiple times, they sent someone out. I'm disappointed with the customer service, I don't want to continue playing games and telephone tag hence my post here.

It might not help much, but I have a 2010 HS Sovereign and being in the UK run mine in Degrees C rather than F.

My dealer and install tech has suggested I too can expect the water to be within 1c of the temperature set. Given that there are more degree F's in a degree C, my perception is that 100F against a a setting of 102F is within the tolerence I would expect.

Just FYI - My 2006 Nordic Crown XL maintains the set temp perfectly. I've checked and double checked the water temp with several different thermometers it's always exactly what the digital display on the tub reads.

I wouldn't be too happy with a 2-3 degree F difference between the set temp/digital readout and the actual water temp.

Same experience here with a 2010 Grandee. Had it running for about a month set at 101 and it read exactly 101 all the time. Then I had a repair call for which I had to drain/refill and now the temp reads exactly 2 degrees higher than set temp. Thermistor was replaced but no change in behavior. I have verified the water temp matches the displayed temp with a good (human) thermometer - both are exactly 101, though my set temp is 99. The Service Manager from the dealer followed up with HS, who explained that "this is normal".

It's odd, especially after it seemed so accurate with the first fill but it doesn't seem to be anything to lose sleep over though.

Jeff

Yesterday morning, I called the Hot Spring toll free number that 'Dan The Spa Man' supplied us. I informed the lady in service of the issue and that it appears as though many others are also experiencing this issue. She stated she was not aware of this issue and wanted to talked with her supervisor. She would get back with me ASAP!

I still have not hear back! I sure hope they do not try to cover up an issue that they are well aware of! I would hope they tell customers that are aware of issue and a fix is in the works!

I will be plenty upset if my tub is off 2 degrees for the life of the tub! Unacceptable on a $10K product

When I am happy with a product - I am very vocal!

When I dissatified with a product - I am more vocal!

Hopefully I get a call today! Stand by!

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday morning, I called the Hot Spring toll free number that 'Dan The Spa Man' supplied us. I informed the lady in service of the issue and that it appears as though many others are also experiencing this issue. She stated she was not aware of this issue and wanted to talked with her supervisor. She would get back with me ASAP!

I still have not hear back! I sure hope they do not try to cover up an issue that they are well aware of! I would hope they tell customers that are aware of issue and a fix is in the works!

I will be plenty upset if my tub is off 2 degrees for the life of the tub! Unacceptable on a $10K product

When I am happy with a product - I am very vocal!

When I dissatified with a product - I am more vocal!

Hopefully I get a call today! Stand by!

Did you ever hear back from HotSprings?