Booster Seat

Tubber McGee

Anyone have any knowledge on booster seats for hottubs. I am 6' 3", but I have a short wife 5'2" and 3 small children. Torn between the HS Sovereign and Vanguard. Was going to purchase the Sovereign as it fit the family better, but I just heard about these booster seats! If it works - really leaning towards the Vanguard

Any advice - hate to see me comfortable and the rest of the family underwater!

Thks

Anyone have any knowledge on booster seats for hottubs. I am 6' 3", but I have a short wife 5'2" and 3 small children. Torn between the HS Sovereign and Vanguard. Was going to purchase the Sovereign as it fit the family better, but I just heard about these booster seats! If it works - really leaning towards the Vanguard

Thks

Any dealer should have booster seats.

My wife is 5' 1 15/16" and we had a spa for about 5 years before I brought home a booster seat one day. It was a mistake because then she was not happy with me because she didn't know they existed and wondered why I waited so long to get one (truth was no one had given me one for free until then). Next time I'm just going to marry a taller woman.

Thks

Any dealer should have booster seats.

My wife is 5' 1 15/16" and we had a spa for about 5 years before I brought home a booster seat one day. It was a mistake because then she was not happy with me because she didn't know they existed and wondered why I waited so long to get one (truth was no one had given me one for free until then). Next time I'm just going to marry a taller woman.

Nice Spatech! Maybe she should wear heels ?!?

I've got two girls 4 and 7. They've been in the tub with me for a year now. To be honest they can't sit still and see it more as a small swimming pool. When I do get them to sit still it's on the steps which provide them a perfect depth. I don't see the need for a boster seat. But I suppose the real answer is to wet test, the kids will be fine in whatever. The wife will however need to find a comfortable spot.

DK117

Nice Spatech! Maybe she should wear heels ?!?

I've got two girls 4 and 7. They've been in the tub with me for a year now. To be honest they can't sit still and see it more as a small swimming pool. When I do get them to sit still it's on the steps which provide them a perfect depth. I don't see the need for a boster seat. But I suppose the real answer is to wet test, the kids will be fine in whatever. The wife will however need to find a comfortable spot.

DK117

I wouldn't trust the heels for safety reasons but maybe platform shoes!?

Agree on the kids, my 3 never sat still when they were young so a booster seat would have just been something for them to have water wars with but booster seats do work well for the vertically challenged wives.

What kind of pricing are you being quoted on the Vanguard?

I was interested in the Sovereign - I was quoted $8000 plus tax for tub - upgraded lift - upgraded steps - start up chemicals - delivery - and they said they would throw in the ACE Salt Water System for free.

They want the deal by the end of the month!

I want to go in next week and offer them $9000 out the door for the same package except in the Vanguard model! If they accept, I may be writing a check on the spot - thinking it would be a good price!

Next time I'm just going to marry a taller woman.

Well, there is always a trade off. Taller women are good for some things, while shorter women are better for others. I think there are strong arguments for having more than one wife or "significant other", but there are downsides as well.

As for booster seats - they are a workable fallback if you can't find a tub that fits you well otherwise. After all of the wet testing I put my wife through I don't think she would have let me buy a tub that didn't fit her well too.

My wife is 5'2" and my 12 year old daughter is 5' even. The 12 year old still won't likely sit still, but my wife preferred the booster seat on the Grandee when we were wet testing. It was a Leisure Concepts brand, and it seemed to work very well. Her head was not underwater without it, but it gave her more friction and allowed her to use her arms on the molded armrests in the tub to brace herself, so she didn't get pushed out of the seat. The booster was filled with water and had suction cups on the bottom to keep it in place. The dealer said they'd include one with our tub order, but it's not a pricey item... like $20 - $30, which is money well spent, if it makes the experience more enjoyable.

When we were wet testing we also saw some booster seats that I think were filled with sand or some heavy material. They are pretty easy to move around if you need to but they stay in place quite well. We saw some tubs that we liked but would have required a booster seat for my 5'-2" wife - Marquis and Beachcomer were both really deep. In the end we found a tub that works for us without a booster seat - I'm 5-11 - but that was not the only reason we chose it.

Thks

Tubber, I am in the same situation you are...a foot taller than my wife......

Booster seat does wonders, only problem I have had is that they sometimes break after a year, (especially when you drop them over the tub!) but still worthwhile. Here's a hint, fill it with a bag of marbles....keeps it from floating away!

I use the tub most of the time, and I keep the water very deep, (up to the pillows)so my wife does find the tub a little deep sometimes, (even though she usually is stretched out in the big cool down seat), so it's not an issue ...if you find the tub too deep, a simple fix is to just keep the water lower, (just above the neck jets)...this will help the short ones in your family.....

BTW, I wet tested many tubs before I bought, including the Sovereign....it was nice, but no comparison to the Vanguard....especially considering the 2 jet pumps vs only a single in the Sovereign (Sovereign jets were much weaker than the VG) and the 2 Moto massage seats in the VG. Spent the extra money now, you won't regret it.. Ran

DK117

If you let kids in the spa be sure the temperature is not set high and limit there time to no more than about10 minutes. Children cannot handle the high temps in a spa and there have been cases where brain damage and death have occurred. If you don't believe me consult your pediatrician.Here is a link you might find interesting and you can find many more by searching the internet for hot tub safety for children

^ Kind of related to the above post by waterbear but in this case the elderly. I have had an Uncle over from Toronto Canada and on his last night here before heading back this morning we decided to jump in the tub. Anyway after about 25 mins (pump switched off after 20 mins) he felt a little light headed and decided to get out, he was OK but he told us after that he found out he had blood pressure problem about 15 years ago while on holiday, a party of them got into the hotel spas and after a while a lady in the party suggested that he should get out, he asked why because he felt fine, her reply was that he didn't look fine because he had a nose bleed.

Now I run my tub at 37.5C so I think I am at a low enough temperature not to suffer any problems for at least 30-40 mins but it just shows you that high temperature like near 40C can be a problem if you aren't careful.

DK117

If you let kids in the spa be sure the temperature is not set high and limit there time to no more than about10 minutes. Children cannot handle the high temps in a spa and there have been cases where brain damage and death have occurred. If you don't believe me consult your pediatrician.Here is a link you might find interesting and you can find many more by searching the internet for hot tub safety for children

Thank you for the post. I've not seen that specific link before. It's good for all parents to see this. However I run my tub at 100, and my girls have never been in the tub without me. We do however regularly go beyond 10 minutes, I'd say 20 is more typical for them. I feel it can be done safely.

DK117

Thank you for the post. I've not seen that specific link before. It's good for all parents to see this. However I run my tub at 100, and my girls have never been in the tub without me. We do however regularly go beyond 10 minutes, I'd say 20 is more typical for them. I feel it can be done safely.

DK117

I think that 100 F should be pretty safe. The key is the temperature difference from body temperature. 100 F is only 1.4 F from normal body temperature. If the water temperature were 101.4, then that would be twice the difference, and would require a reduced exposure time.

104 F is the upper limit for adults and 102 F is recommended as an upper limit for younger children. Make sure to watch children for sign of overheating or dehydration. Make sure that they have water available to drink if they get thirsty. Ask your pediatrician for their recommendations regarding hot tub use.

Also, make sure to verify the temperature with two independent thermometers for safety.

• 11 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...