Can You Buy And Replace This Part?

Carl.F

It's best to get a pro.

?

Why would you need a pro for this?

Buy a new multiport assembly, unscrew the broken ring and the unbroken ring from the tank inserts. Lube the "O" rings on the new assembly. Line up the new assembly and screw in the rings being careful not to overtighten.

Carl! Right! If it were that easy, most of us wouldn't have jobs... Your photo doesn't give me enough to go on... But I assume that your plumbing is attached to that multiport... LOL Seems simple enough right, you probably own a sawzall and have done some handy plumbing. PoolRMyLife is not trying to drum up business in your area. But once you've got started you'll understand why he suggested a pro. I'm not saying you or anyone else can't do it, but you will be making several glue connections at one time, with pvc glue that is unforgiving. And that multi port is not cheap. A pro will sell you the port cheaper than you can buy it... And his experience in having down this type of repair will be priceless. Sure, he'll make it look easy, but that's because he has learned from his previous mistakes. I don't consider myself a pro by any stretch, but even with the experience I have... This is not an easy task. Limited room only compounds it!

Right, and I am sure that is how it cracked. I have been assembling (in the spring) and disassembling my filter for winter storage for 10 years now. My "pool guy" said you dont have to take that apart. He said just leave it attached to the filter the way it is now and store it that way. I would always take it apart to make it "a smaller package" for storage. To make sure it wouldn't seep, I would use a strap wrench. I am sure that is how it got overtightened.

From now on with the new one, it will only be hand tightened. The existing plumbing can be unscrewed from the old multiport, and then screwed into the new one with teflon tape on the threads.

Carl, first my apology, I've reread my posting, and well it was a little aggressive. Your fortunate that you are able to unscrew your existing plumbing, it sounds like someone did a good job installing your equipment. And I would encourage you to disassemble when storing the item as it will make your filter a little "front" heavy. Your pool guy is right. You don't have too, but if you have in the past, then that is what I would do in the future. Gives you a chance to inspect and lube the orings too! With all of that said, it doesn't sound like you need a "pro"! Good luck with your closing and I look forward to seeing you around. Again, my apology!

Apology taken, but not really necessary.

You are right, the guys who did my install 10 years ago did a real good job. (The main guy had been doing installs for 31 years, and is still in the business, one of his guys who had been with him for 15 years just installed my safety cover). It was my mistake to use the "help" of a strap wrench for that extra little nudge on the fittings. I am sure that is what caused the cracks in the collar.

I will replace the multi-port valve with a new one come spring time, and continue to disassemble the filter system in the future but without the aid of the strap wrench.