Which Cover To Buy?

seabright_sc

Ugh! Way to much info out there... way too many manufactures that all seem the same.... I'm looking for some info from those with experience.

Have you bought a cover from and are you happy with it?

What about foam thickness? We live on the Central Ca coast... mild all year, rarely above 80 or below 38.

Is upgrading to 2lb. foam worth it?

What about that extra hinge seal as an option?

I'm assuming a double vapor wrap is a very worth while "extra". True?

So many manufactures all within a very close price range I have no idea where to start?

I was thinking purchasing from Spa Depot. Thoughts?

Ugh... too much time spent on research has me even more confused! Help!!:) Thank you!

I came here for some of the same info.

I have read on here that Roberts Hot tubs does a good job on covers also.

Not trying to Hijack this thread but if others could respond as to which options are worth the money and which are not.

I live in Western Tennessee near Memphis. Our temps swing a bit more than the ones in So Cal. We saw a few days this year at 100 degrees and in the winter will see several nights below freezing. Snow and Ice accumulation is seldom a problem here. My tub is positioned out side with no roof covering. I use a covermate I lifter also.

If others could comment and maybe address both climates would be much appreciated.

Some of the ones I wonder about are:

2# cores?

Closed Cell foam blanket?

Reinforced Hinge?

Reflex lining?

Thanks in Advance!

Don

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to weigh in on this topic as well. It is time to replace the cover on our 2005 Hot Spring Vangard and I just don't want to throw good money away. We are in the Northwestern Ohio area so we get even more extreme temps. High of 85-95 in summer and lows of 0 +/- in the winters. Spa is outside with no protection from the elements. Original lasted 5 years.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Woody

I'd like to weigh in on this topic as well. It is time to replace the cover on our 2005 Hot Spring Vangard and I just don't want to throw good money away. We are in the Northwestern Ohio area so we get even more extreme temps. High of 85-95 in summer and lows of 0 +/- in the winters. Spa is outside with no protection from the elements. Original lasted 5 years.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Woody

Roberts Hot Tubs & Spa-Mart

Both are top notch. They speak very highly of each other as well which is refreshing.

Dave

Okay so Roberts Hot Tubs and Spa-Mart are the preferred sources. But what about options that Seabright_SC and BigDfromTN had inquired about. I too am curious what is worth the extra money and what is just a needless extra expense.

Thanks,

Woody

I live in MN so I wanted a little more R value

Here is what I upgraded on my last cover purchase

1. 2# foam
  2. Double wrapped core
  3. Relective lining
  4. Reinforced hinge full length seal

2 & 3 are a must IMHO

4 depends on how much stress you cover lift puts on the hinge

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I finally went for a Roberts cover. 6"-4", double wrap, reflective bottom. But i did not upgrade to 2# foam. It has Standard 1# foam. Will 1# foam become water logged quicker? I hope not... Here's another question. For our usage, we generally add about a teaspoon or 2 of Dichlor for daily use. Should I leave the cover off for a while (to extend cover life)? If so for how long?

The cover is awesome. Great quality. :)

I finally went for a Roberts cover. 6"-4", double wrap, reflective bottom. But i did not upgrade to 2# foam. It has Standard 1# foam. Will 1# foam become water logged quicker? I hope not... Here's another question. For our usage, we generally add about a teaspoon or 2 of Dichlor for daily use. Should I leave the cover off for a while (to extend cover life)? If so for how long?

The cover is awesome. Great quality. :)

It's not that the cover will waterlog faster. Less dense foam has the ability to absorb more water. So when it is fully saturated it will weigh more than with denser foam. That said, being in Minnesota I understand why you went thicker rather than denser. If energy-efficiency is your primary goal and you are choosing between going thicker or going denser, you get more bang-for-the-buck with thickness. However, what you lose out on is that when the vapor barrier fails it will absorb more water.

Don't worry though. Doc builds great spa covers. His company uses the same sealer that we use (we bought ours after seeing his) so I know that it's the a great seal. Your vapor barrier is going to last at least 4-5 years being 6 mil PE. I think you made a nice choice (if you weren't going to buy from us, of course).

As for your second question, adding that little dichlor at a time it's not necessary to leave your cover off for an extended time. Maybe 5 minutes. Leave the cover off during shocking for 15-20 minutes. But daily dosing 2tsp of dichlor is not going to cause much of an issue because you're not overwhelming the water with so much that it offgasses immediately.

A good cover lift will increase the life of your cover, and prevent it from being dsamaged from dropping, I highly reccomend Liesure Concepts Covermate Easy because it is rugged, one moving part, and fastens to either your deck, or the bottom of the spa cabinet where you are likely to find the strongest timbers.

tetoemel-covermate-easy.jpg

Available from just about everyone.