Ebay Spas

old bones

Just curious if anyone has ever purchased a spa on Ebay or known of anyone who has. When it's too good to be true, it usually is, and some of those "made in USA" tubs look too good to be true. After reading about "UK hot tubs" on here and the people that got ripped off, just wondering if those ebay sellers are doing the same.

Thanks

Old Bones

Just curious if anyone has ever purchased a spa on Ebay or known of anyone who has. When it's too good to be true, it usually is, and some of those "made in USA" tubs look too good to be true. After reading about "UK hot tubs" on here and the people that got ripped off, just wondering if those ebay sellers are doing the same.

Thanks

Old Bones

I don't know -- so I won't comment on those selling on e-Bay.

However, many of us in here are firm believers in the following concepts -

1) With a major brand, you can usually get a track record as to history of ownership, durability, service issues, technology changes, and the like. With a no-name brand, you might get a good deal, but you're venturing into the unknown. You also have a manufacturer that you can go to and ask questions. If you have a Jacuzzi, Arctic, Sundance, Caldera, HotSprings, etc., the manufacturers are available, and if there's an ongoing problem they'll try to help you fix it.

2) Yes, you can buy a tub online. Most of us would wet-test, or at the very least, take a look and put our hands on what we are buying. You can't do that easily with an e-Bay sale.

3) I have found - in 26 years or so of hot tub ownership -- I have always needed dealer advice and dealer service. Buy one via the web, you might not have that available. Service after the sale is critical. Will your e-Bay seller be in a position to come over to your house and see what's wrong, if something goes wrong?

4) I am reminded of the old satirical way we used to sing the song "Lemon Tree". Here it is =

Lemon car very pretty

and the price so very smart

but the motor of the poor lemon

is im-POSS-ible to start....

The best value for the money may not always be the deal with the lowest price. Personally -- I'd rather spend my money on a known quantity - and with the confidence that I will have someone to lean on if something should go wrong -- than sending several thousands off in a mail-order deal. This is not attacking the legitimacy of e-Bay sellers, BUT, I just personally feel better about going with a local dealer and a major brand.

Even if the dollar price is higher.

As usual, your mileage may vary.

As with anything you buy on eBay, buyer beware. You want to take every precaution you can! As far as hot tubs go, I've yet to hear a good story. I've talked to one or two people who've purchased hot tubs over eBay, and both worked out poorly in the end. (I'm not talking about the folks online, I'm talking real people in front of me). Now, if you search these forums you'll find numerous posts about eBay hot tub purchases that have ended very poorly, where in fact folks are using legal remedies to try to get money back.

Hop in your car and visit a local Hot Tub Dealer and have a chat with them. Will it cost you more than an eBay hot tub? Most likely. Will you actually get a hot tub? You most likely will!

E-bay hot tub purchases can be summed up easily

1) The price tag is low which is all that matters to some people but,

2) the quality is even lower,

3) the warranty is meaningless because you'll be on your own when issues arise no matter what empty promise given via e-mail so you better be a serious DIYer because you are it,

4) I'd expect it to be VERY inefficient so expect to pay an extra $35 to $70 (or more) MORE per month to run it versus a well insulated spa

5) you're buying sight unseen over the internet from someone you don't know and you probably don't even know who makes it?

Thats a serious gamble?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a customer whose old tub I serviced for years. Last summer he bought a new tub on the internet and then sold his house about 3 months ago. The new owners called and said the tub wasn't working. I showed up and all we can see is that it says "ISLAND LUXURY" on the skimmer cover and "SPA KING" on the manual. No contact info, no address. Turns out the spa was imported from China, no parts available as far as I can tell and no idea what the error code means so they are out of luck.