Corners In New In-Ground Vinyl Liner

und3rd06

HI,

I just got a new In-Ground vinyl liner installed.

I have a question

Should all liners "follow" the corners in a pool or should there be a "radius" around the corner

See image. I have worked so hard on this pool. Redid the whole plumbing (redirected pipes, fixed the base of the pool etc,...)

Now I am a bit ticked off that I see the corners not following the wall flush. I don't know if this is normal or not. The poeple that installed the liner says it's normal but I am not sure I believe them. There is a 2 inch gap between the liner and the corner of the wall.

Is this normal ?

I made a picture on my pc but can't upload it here unless I am blind and can't see the option.

So I made this instead.

--------------WALL---------

| /

| / <--------------- liner

|/

|

|

W

A

L

L

|

|

und3rd06, it is common for the liner to pull away from a square corner or small radius corner (6" or so). It definitely not desirable, but it is quite common. Some manufactures don't take measures to make the corners fit properly. Another reason may be if the liner was measured improperly and you ended up with a tighter fitting liner than intended.

Either way, a 2 inch gap isn't too much to worry about. If the corner is subjected to a lot of direct sun (ie northern corner of the pool) the tight fit may decrease the life span of your liner by a few years.

Nice graphics btw :)

Jeff

Thanks for both answers.

The walls corner's are square (not rounded). Fortunately, it's not in direct sunlight.

I was thinking of removing the white strip that "tacks" the vinyl to the wall. I would then have a small opening and I would pour concrete. The water in the pool would apply pressure thus making the liner touching the wall. Is this a good idea ??? I was just thinking about this the other day.

Let me know if you need more info...I might make another graphic ;-)

umm... how do I put this gently.... That's a horrible idea!

It would be unwise to create a permanent fix for a temporary problem. Also, the weight of the concrete could counter the pressure of the water and cause the liner to stretch even more.

You could put something behind there though. The idea would be to make it so the pesky kids don't poke their fingers through the liner. Maybe something you could carve out of Styrofoam or wood.

Warning: it is really, really not fun to try to get the corners of the liner back in place after you pop it out of the track. Especially when the pool is full of water.

Good Luck,

Jeff