Brown Water (Plum) From Ozonator On Start Up, 1Sec

Fatlip

I have 2010 Jetsetter 9 months old. I went to clean filters and here is what happened. I first cut off the 30 amp the 20 amp breaker as normal. Then took out all three filters (Tri-x) and cleaned them in dishwasher, rinsed real good. Put back in spa and cut the 30 amp on then the 20amp as the manual listed. When ozonater came on it gave out a plume of brown water for 1 second(came up 5in and disipated) and then clear.

The ozonater does have water pumping threw it ( light bubbles also). Also I just checked the ion stick and it has a little bit of white crud at they bottom of it, I do change it on refills.

It has been 3.5 months from last change of water.

I clean filters every 4 weeks and its just me using the spa, 5 times a week. Never very dirty. Cover always on if not in use.

I keep the chemicals right all the time (dichlor/bleach method), 2.5 oz per day bleach, 225gal spa). Shock with (SpaGuard spa shock oxidizer) bi/weekly and ck daily with test strips and taylor kit weekly.

numbers are:

TA= 80

PH= 7.6

CH= 150

CYA= 30

BORATES= 50

FC= 1-3 average, high 5-6, low 1, shock 8-10

So what might the brown water be? The water did get a little cloudy before the filter cleaning so I shocked it to 14tc and looks fine now but still some foam, not covering the spa though, maybe 2 in in i/2 tub surface). Jets all work fine and are strong.

I don't want to do a water change till I here about the brown plume, in case I need to do something to water first and not have to change it two times.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Rick

Anybody, need to no if anybody has had this brown plume and what it may have been.

Ozone goo has a yellowish brown color to it, if you look at your ozone line you can see it. Maybe some had built up and came out??? Also, oxidizing makes metals "rust'(when you shock or add chlorine for the first time in fresh water and have metals, you will see it turn orange then go away, usually happens with iron) ozone is an oxidizer, so maybe there were some metals in the water that the first burst of ozone oxidized it. if its not fresh water, It most likely was not that. Other than that, no other ideas, but if it was just 1 plume, and filtered out, i would not worry about it unless you are having water chemistry issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2002 jetsetter and I have seen this occasionally as well. My first thought was to open the secondary drain during refill but the first time I tried it, I saw the 'dirty water' briefly and it dissipated. I have even tried Spa System Flush with no consistent results. I haven't seen it in a while (change water about every 60 days) and it's never been a problem other than I just don't like to see it. (grin)

jeff

Agree with HillyBilly - this is probably just rust from the ozonator pump componenents, but should only be noticeable if the tubs been sitting empty for a while with water left in the pipes. Same thing can happen with domestic plumbing if a house has been empty for an extended period of time.