Tiger River Heater And Breaker Question.

gcally

I just got done installing my Tiger River spa. I have the 240 converted Bengal model, which runs a GFCI 30 amp breaker for the heater.

My question is when I first filled the tub the heater breaker was very hot to touch. After the tub came up to temp it was fine and the breaker was cool to touch. Is this normal?

I just got done installing my Tiger River spa. I have the 240 converted Bengal model, which runs a GFCI 30 amp breaker for the heater.

My question is when I first filled the tub the heater breaker was very hot to touch. After the tub came up to temp it was fine and the breaker was cool to touch. Is this normal?

Never heard of that.

That should not be hot to the touch. What year is your bengal. It sounds to me like you have a loose connection somewhere causing resistance which in turn will cause the breaker to get hot.

If you wired the spa yourself, check the wire connections at the breaking (incoming and outgoing) and be sure nothing is loose. A loose wire can cause a lot of heat (and eventually electrical/fire hazard). When you first filled the spa, that heater was likely on constantly for several hours as it heated up the hot tub. So the breaker would get the most 'use' during this period. It would make sense for it to be warmer than the 20amp breaker beside it. However it probably shouldn't be "hot".

If you are not accustomed to electrical wiring (or had an electrician pre-wire for you) have an electrician check it out for you. It's better to be safe than sorry!!