Master Spas Twilight Series

Hi.

I'm new here (and to hot tubs in general) and would love some input into why so many people seem to hate Master Spas. My husband and I (without a lot of prior research) attended a spa expo and ended up ordering a Twilight Series model 8.3. We were very impressed with the features, the power, the unique filtration system and the wonderful "light show." The standard lighting system looked so good that we opted not to get the upgraded "afterglow" light package. It seems to have everything we would want in a hot tub.

After we made our down payment and went home we started reading the reviews (yes, I know, putting the cart before the horse), and there were so many negative reviews that our heads started spinning. The thing is, we really didn't see many reviews that criticized the quality of the spas themselves, but were more directed at the "traveling circus" aspect of the shows and how the high-pressure dealers seemed to pretty much disappear once the expo left town. The show we went to was local, as was the dealer who sponsored it. He assured us that he and his company stand by the spas and that none of their work is subcontracted.

I would love to hear from folks who actually own a Master Spa (especially from the Twilight Series, but any are appreciated) to see how well they actually operate. I'm sure that people who own other brands are prejudiced in favor of theirs, which is only natural, and may account for so many who say "I would never buy a Master Spa." But is there anyone out there who actually has one and likes it?

Thanks!!!

P.S. Master Spas dealers don't tend to post their prices online, so I called a few dealerships around the country to get price quotes and we paid nearly $2,000 less for the same model/features across the board according to the various dealers I spoke with.

Yankeesfan

you said you bought from the show...i just had someone call me and backed out of there deal because of posts. but besides that point.

Who will take care of you after the sale?

Who will perform the warranty work if needed?

the unique filter, is it really different than others out there? not really

You said they are local sowas it the traveling circus or a certified local dealer?

If it is a local storefront than thats a different story?

But the traveling circus says the same thing.

Who was your show put on by? what was the dealership name

If it is a local dealer be happy with your decision but to come on here now and ask questions you have doubt of what you bought, If it is a local dealer you should be able to get your deposit back and go look around a little bit, the Dealer should still honor that price 1 month down the road or even 2 months down the road...

The biggest point ( and you notice i have not said a brand you are dealing with, ) this would be true of any spa bought at a traveling show...i would make sure they are local visit there store!!!!!!Have you visited the local store????

hope this helps .....good luck

Hi Spa Guy.

I think "traveling show" may be a misnomer for the expo we went to. The show was run by the service manager for Master Spas in our regional area, and he brought in a lot of models to a large showroom to display them. His people do the installation and cover the service, warranty, etc., and he assured me that he doesn't subcontract out any work. I checked his company on the Better Business Bureau site and it was listed with an A- rating. I'm not sure if he has a storefront per se because he said he manages the service end, and the actual corporate HQ is at another location one state over, which I'm guessing is where he brought most of the spas in from. (Both addresses are listed on the contract.) The service office is within 30 miles of us, so that's pretty close.

My bigger worry is, is there something inferior about Master Spas products themselves? The ones we saw were quite sturdy and powerful and we were very happy when we left the show, yet some of the posts I've seen since then complain so much about the service (or lack thereof) that I'm almost worried something's going to go wrong as soon as the installers leave. Has anybody actually owned one and used it for a period of time and been happy with it? This almost reminds me of when I was researching whether to get Lasik. I found posts of people who absolutely loved it and others who had horror experiences. It's so hard to tell if all the posts are for real or not. (For the record, I did get Lasik and four years later it's still one of the best decisions I've ever made.)

Thanks for your help!

I do not own a Master Spa but if I were in your shoes i would call the local dealer and ask him for names and contact information for at least 5-10 local custtomers in your area. Then call them and/or visit them and see hkw satisfied they are witih the spa AND the after sales service. The after sale support is just as important as the price and quality of the spa. There were highly rated brands of spas that i did not even look at in my town because the dealer had a horible reputation re: service after the sale.

Hi Spa Guy.

I think "traveling show" may be a misnomer for the expo we went to. The show was run by the service manager for Master Spas in our regional area, and he brought in a lot of models to a large showroom to display them. His people do the installation and cover the service, warranty, etc., and he assured me that he doesn't subcontract out any work. I checked his company on the Better Business Bureau site and it was listed with an A- rating. I'm not sure if he has a storefront per se because he said he manages the service end, and the actual corporate HQ is at another location one state over, which I'm guessing is where he brought most of the spas in from. (Both addresses are listed on the contract.) The service office is within 30 miles of us, so that's pretty close.

My bigger worry is, is there something inferior about Master Spas products themselves? The ones we saw were quite sturdy and powerful and we were very happy when we left the show, yet some of the posts I've seen since then complain so much about the service (or lack thereof) that I'm almost worried something's going to go wrong as soon as the installers leave. Has anybody actually owned one and used it for a period of time and been happy with it? This almost reminds me of when I was researching whether to get Lasik. I found posts of people who absolutely loved it and others who had horror experiences. It's so hard to tell if all the posts are for real or not. (For the record, I did get Lasik and four years later it's still one of the best decisions I've ever made.)

Thanks for your help!

I do not own a Master Spa but if I were in your shoes i would call the local dealer and ask him for names and contact information for at least 5-10 local custtomers in your area. Then call them and/or visit them and see hkw satisfied they are witih the spa AND the after sales service. The after sale support is just as important as the price and quality of the spa. There were highly rated brands of spas that i did not even look at in my town because the dealer had a horible reputation re: service after the sale.

This is the single most important thing in purchasing a spas in my opinion, the product is only as good as the guy that repairs and services it, end of story.

This is the single most important thing in purchasing a spas in my opinion, the product is only as good as the guy that repairs and services it, end of story.

It should always be an equal combination of getting a quality product AND doing business with a quality dealer.

I wouldn't skimp on either; what you purchase will be in your back yard for 10, 12, 15... years if you get a good product from a good dealer.

Thanks everyone!

I understand (now) the importance of good service. (Absolute worst case scenario, we have other friends who have hot tubs and could call their service reps if we really got the shaft from our guy, but I don't think that will be the case.)

My question still is, how do the Master Spas tubs themselves rate? Do they run well over time? I really haven't seen many posts that criticize the tubs themselves as being lousy products, and the ones we saw looked incredible.

By the way, we're beyond the "buyers remorse" period and would stand to lose our deposit if we cancel our order at this point ...

Thanks everyone!

I understand (now) the importance of good service. (Absolute worst case scenario, we have other friends who have hot tubs and could call their service reps if we really got the shaft from our guy, but I don't think that will be the case.)

My question still is, how do the Master Spas tubs themselves rate? Do they run well over time? I really haven't seen many posts that criticize the tubs themselves as being lousy products, and the ones we saw looked incredible.

By the way, we're beyond the "buyers remorse" period and would stand to lose our deposit if we cancel our order at this point ...

Yankee Fan,

Master Spas are rated in the top few spa makers in the US according to Spa Search Magazine who are the most credible rating services ahead of Consumers Digest. They have a nice website showing all the models. My hubby fixes the Master Spas and a few other brands. We are a few states over from Indiana, where they re made. What city are you buying one from? Master is very strict with service techs keeping up twice a year for training. You should be in good hands. You can always call their customer service toll free # which is 800-860-7727. You'll see a lot of bashing of Master, because their dealers sell a lot of spas and their competition can get pretty jealous. We have sold and serviced Down East, Twilight and Master Spas for about 15 years. Master uses balboa controls (#1 in world), Sta-Rite Pumps(#1 in world) and a few jets suppliers. You can get these parts anywhere if you move and take your tub with you. The Twilight Spas are very popular and are the best selling line now.

Crazy Spa Lady Since 2010,

Welcome, I see you attempted your first post but it failed to show anything. Then a few minutes later I see you posted a second time since the first time you didn't enter anything.

Funny, I almost never see that error made except for the fact that SpaTechSince1979 always did that same thing over and over when he was posting last month (before he disappeared). Heck, you're even saying most of the same things he always did. I'm guessing you tout all those Master "awards" as a sign they are a top company also lol.

We sure are getting a lot of brand new posters lately; second one in this thread alone! Welcome aboard.

It is starting to look a lot like a family affair. I have done extensive Internet forensics over the last couple of weeks ever since Spatechsince79 started peddling his lies and I have now developed a flow chart (similar to the one in Godfather Part II showing the make-up of the Corleone crime family) and it is exceedingly disturbing. Brothers, Facebook friends, and business associates are all tied into this cauldron of deceit, so much that it smacks of being some type of cult. I shudder to think that it will soon branch off into their children...so very, very sad to see them sucked into a life of dishonesty and depravity.

Mark my words, it won't be long until we start seeing Spatechsince1997 start posting on the forums. It truly makes me sick to see children raised in such a moral vacuum.

Term

Crazyspa lady,

Sorry should i start shaking in my boots!!!!! :wacko: You say that we cannot figure out Master Spas...it is funny however that Master in our town umm....lets see how do i say thee. the split, left scianara. no mas...should i continue...That is great if you have been selling them out of your store for 15 years and you take care of your customers....i commend you on that.

Question: If the traveling spa circus showed up in your town with all the advertising they do, they undercut your store, the seel a bunch and leave.. wouldn't you say you lost sales and revenue to keep your store afloat....If it was me and they were stepping on my toes make the money leave town, then want me to service them...something is not right with this picture... We are not bashing the hard working dealers of any particular brand . it is the show and the people that think it is a good thing.....

Incredible compared to what? You yourself said you bought without comparision. The ones I have seen, worked on and disposed of fall well below top ten in my book of incredible. They may not be lousy products but they certainly aren't incredible. If you have a great dealer even a mediorce product can be good.

How come only Master Spa owners or dealers double post? One empty and then the second one right??? Is it a genetic thing that when your affiliated or buy a Master it is somehow added to your computing capacity? If it is the same guy doing it under about 3-4 screen names so far please stop that! Make it a little tougher for us to figure out your deception.

Yankees fan. Have you recieved your tub yet? I want to see if you double post once you do.

Roger, it looks like I somehow stepped into the middle of a family feud here. I'm not sure what everyone's talking about with the "double posting." I only joined this site a couple of days ago.

My spa should be delivered early next month. In the meantime, we have to have a foundation built. We have two concrete estimators coming tomorrow, but we're not sure if concrete or pavers are the way to go. Anybody have any suggestions? The tub is 8' x 8' and holds 485 gallons of water so we want something that will give us good support but also not break the bank.

Roger, it looks like I somehow stepped into the middle of a family feud here. I'm not sure what everyone's talking about with the "double posting." I only joined this site a couple of days ago.

My spa should be delivered early next month. In the meantime, we have to have a foundation built. We have two concrete estimators coming tomorrow, but we're not sure if concrete or pavers are the way to go. Anybody have any suggestions? The tub is 8' x 8' and holds 485 gallons of water so we want something that will give us good support but also not break the bank.

You didn't double post. The reference is to a person who showed up last month and represented Master in a laughingly fraudulent manner before he left in shame when we called him on his ridiculous posts. He just tried to return under a new username but he always had the odd habit of sending out a blank post followed by a completed post (he did it almost every time). Then "Crazy Spa Lady" comes along and does the SAME thing (and I've been here for years and never remember seeing anyone do that it in that same way let alone doing it repeatedly). We know he was just changing his name to try to spam us with more BS plus the rhetoric was so similar between the two but he'll come up with some new username yet again I'd suspect.

As far as Master and why we try to let people know what they may be getting into, here are some all too foten repeated reviews from Master owners:

Elizabeth

Bill

Jim

David

Michael

Clay

Crazy Spa Lady Since 2010,

Welcome, I see you attempted your first post but it failed to show anything. Then a few minutes later I see you posted a second time since the first time you didn't enter anything.

Funny, I almost never see that error made except for the fact that SpaTechSince1979 always did that same thing over and over when he was posting last month (before he disappeared). Heck, you're even saying most of the same things he always did. I'm guessing you tout all those Master "awards" as a sign they are a top company also lol.

We sure are getting a lot of brand new posters lately; second one in this thread alone! Welcome aboard.

Believe it or not, another new member under the name of Bevo has also done this very same thing, so maybe it's easier to than we thought or Bevo is in fact Bevo Since 2010.

It can be done with treated 4x4's and treated 3/4 plywood also. But you better make sure with that brand the warranty isn't voided because it's not sitting on a slab. Concrete is the best, pavers will work also. More importantly is what kind of base is under whatever you choose.

Thanks Roger. We had three estimators give us a price for a concrete slab with a mesh reinforcement. The range of quotes is unbelievable ... One said $2,000, one said $1650 and the third one (who did a great job laying a patio in our neighbor's yard, so we've seen his work) said $800 for the SAME SIZE. We're going with him. I'm glad we're doing concrete since it sounds like the best option.

I appreciate your advice.