Broken Sweep Adapter On Pool Wall

mercurial

I was repositioning my polaris sweep because it got tangled, must have been a little careless in how I jerked it because there is a plastic piece which screws into the sweep pipe coming out the side of the pool, and this piece has two little nubs on it which both broke.

So, I need to replace this piece but I can't get it out. Seems to be frozen solid, screwed into the tube. Anyone have any tips for getting sweep and return line plastic adapters off, and then replaced?

Use a pipe(monkey)wrench instead of channel locks. you want to keep from squeezing the fitting and making it oblong, which will keep it from spinning out of the wall fitting. Using a pipe wrench won't prevent this, but will squeeze the fitting less, which will give you a better chance of removal.

I think at this point you have to get creative and BE CAREFUL.

This happens quite a bit on wall return fittings, booster pump hose connectors, and just about any other plastic fitting that threads into something.

Sometimes you can get them out using a screwdriver, sometimes a hacksaw blade to cut through the fitting taking care not to cut into the threads of the return. Can be very frustrating. Patience is the key.

Also, the polaris wall fitting usually has a couple of notches in the very back of the fitting. You can insert a pair of needle nose pliers and turn.

there are actually tools made to fit into the slots in the back of the fitting to make removal easier. Any well equipped pool supply store should either stock them or be able to order them. The are inexpensive (under $10), although I have seen them marked up to as much as $25, which is robbery, IMHO!

http://shop.swimming...duct/52030.html

Sometimes an eyeball removal tool can be used.

http://www.epoolshop...emovalTool.aspx

If the universal wall fitting is not badly damaged they can make the job very easy.

Thanks for all the advice guys. The new fitting that I purchased has some protrusions at the end where you could jam a large bar, and then turn the bar (using a wrench or vice grips of some sort). However, I don't think the old fitting has these same protrusions. I can't fit the old broken part on and torque like a socket, that definitely won't work.

I bought a very small, sharp handsaw and am going to delicately saw the damn thing out. Probably will jump in the damn pool and put a mask on so its at eye level. I'll tell everyone how it goes!

I donned my snorkel, and started sawing away. sawed two notches, about 1/8 inch apart. Jammed in screw driver, and managed to knock out the 1/8 inch chunk, then the rest of it folded right out.

The original piece had no inside notches, and no hex shaped lip for extraction with a pipe wrench. I have no idea what the original installer was thinking, and how I was supposed to extract it except by doing this hacksaw method. But thankfully, its all good now, the new piece does have the notches you guys have mentioned and a hex shaped lip. Thanks for the advice everyone.

• 3 years later...

I realize this is an old topic, but I just wanted to add what method I used in case someone else should venture here looking for the answer like I just did today. Using a scrap piece of 1x4 lumber from a previous project, I cut it to a shape resembles the foam finger found at sporting events (in this case imagine a block-shaped letter b [or d if you are so inclined]). The "finger" width was cut to the inside diameter of the fitting. I then used a rasp to round the edges so the "finger" would slip snuggly into the fitting. When turned, the finger would rest firmly against the two plugs on the inside of the fitting, thus providing enough pressure to easily turn the fitting out of or into the pool wall. The "paddle", or the hand of the foam finger, is a wide enough handle to provide ample leverage for turn.

• 6 years later...