What Did You Pay For Your Costco Evo Csxi80?

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying the Evo CSXi80 from Costco online. Their price right now is $5499+tax. They always seem to have a tub on "sale" with between $750-$1000 knocked off. This month they have an OC 7ft tub with $1K off for $3500. I'm wondering what you fellow CSXi80 owners paid for your tub. Should I wait and see if the CSXi80 eventually goes on "Sale". I'm not ready at the moment to buy but I would like to in the coming months. Thanks for your replies!!!!

$4799, but that was September 2009. I think it went down to that price once again early this year, but I haven't seen it that low recently (maybe 6 months.) I think last year at this time they were trying to move product, now they have established the product and don't need to discount. They Key West and Mediterranean now offer the $4999 and $3999 price point. Given the CSXi80's two pumps, I don't see it being discounted lower than the Key West. For what it's worth, if you purchase and within 90 days Costco discounts the tub, you can simply call them back to have them provide the difference back to you.

Good luck.

DK117

You really ought to visit a local Hot Tub dealer, if you have not done so already. There are a couple folks on these forums that own Costco spas, and apparently like them. But quite frankly, in my experience as a spa dealer, that's not the norm. At least not in my climate. :(

Besides, at $4,800 to $5,500 you could probably find a well made spa through a local dealer pretty close to that.

Buy local. It's not only safer, but generally better quality, and it actually comes with a support system. :)

You really ought to visit a local Hot Tub dealer, if you have not done so already. There are a couple folks on these forums that own Costco spas, and apparently like them. But quite frankly, in my experience as a spa dealer, that's not the norm. At least not in my climate. :(

Besides, at $4,800 to $5,500 you could probably find a well made spa through a local dealer pretty close to that.

Buy local. It's not only safer, but generally better quality, and it actually comes with a support system. :)

Translation: Every Strong tub Costco sells takes food off of the table from a local dealer.

Look, J, the OP came in here with a specific model number and specific pricing question. He's done his homework. This very website is #3 in google when searching for Costco Hot Tub (only behind Coscto and RH). With thousands of Strong tubs in the wild now, you'd think that at least a few folks (of the thousands?) who lack service and support would find their way to PSF. After all, you can only buy the tub online, so we have to assume that these customers looking for service are web saavy and will find this place... So.. Where are they?

Unconditional, unlimited money-back guarantee, 90-day pricing protection. Sounds like a pretty tight definition of "safety" to me. Show me one Hot Springs dealer in the country that offers this (besides Mountain Hot Tub of course, which I'm sure has such a policy).

Zero evidence that Costco tubs lack support, yet dealers continually remind of its importance- so just how much help does the typical owner of a "dealer" tub need? It doesn't exactly inspire confidence in your core customer.

Strong rumored to ship 40 tubs/day. (from this site). 10k+ units / yr. Ballpark $50MM annual retail run rate. 40% gross margin dealer tub = $20MM gross profit the dealer industry lost to Costco on the Strong line alone. OK, now I see why you're posting :).

To add something for the OP: ehenson99: It's not just price I'd worry about- if you're set on the 80, you might jump on it, because Costco has a habit of switching up the product line. there was a time I believe when you couldn't buy the 80 at all last year. It may disappear and a new Strong product take its place.

reeffreak (who doesn't own a Costco tub and has no purchase to rationalize)

By all means yes, go visit a local hot tub dealer. I found nothing within the $4799 range (ok some two seaters and inflatables) but lots of amazing spas in the $7 to $8K range. I also spent quite a bit of time on craigslist, but that too comes with risks. This is my first tub, I didn't know if I'd use it enough to justify that expense. But I am quite happy with my purchase and still use it about 3 times a week. I would add that most communities have local independent spa techs. They will service your tub whether you purchase from Costco, Craigslist, or a local dealer.

DK117

EDIT: Looks like I posted before reading reeffreak's response

(DK117 who DOES own a Costco tub and has a purchase to rationalize) :D

I came really close to buying the Costco/Strong Evo spa back when it was on sale for $4799. A few items gave me pause at the time. Some people experienced the side panels popping off. Since mine is built into a deck under a large gazebo structure, this could be a real problem as I don't have easy access to put them back on. I was really torn about the perimeter vs. full insulation (accessibility vs. efficiency). Also, the complaints about insufficient power to the jets concerned me. This is subjective, of course, but I did see this complaint from more than one person. I have also heard some not so good reports about the quality of the cover. Lastly, this is a pretty big ticket item to purchase sight unseen. Maybe I'm old school, but with something of this magnitude, I wanted to see/feel it in person and "kick the doors" before committing.

I ended up buying a Marquis Everyday 660 (top model of their value line) from a local company owned store. It is comparable in many respects (size, 2 pumps, 4kw heater, etc.). It has only 60 jets vs. 80 on the Evo (my 23 yr old Sundance had 5) and probably not as many twinkling lights, but it does have two waterfalls. I got it with the full foam insulation option, Ozonator, hydraulic cover lifter, delivery to my existing pad and removal of my old tub for about $6200 out the door.

I had quotes from tub movers for $500 to move and set up the Costco spa (and remove my old one). Again, for me, the "return it if you don't like it" aspect of the Costco spa is less appealing due to the effort involved in deconstructing my deck to get it out. So, I compromised a few bells and whistles to get a top tier manufacturer's product with local support and ended up paying about the same price after all the dust settled. I'm sure I would have been happy either way. It's early, but so far, I don't regret my decision.

It has been delivered and I am currently in the process of firing it up . . . connect wiring and initial fill by the weekend. I'll post a review after I've had some experience with it.

I received the Costco Connections magazine today and it looks like a new model is coming out. Evolution Spas Magnum 90 jet 6 person lounger spa with 3 pumps and storage steps. It will be on sale 8/19/10 to 9/12/10 for $1000 off at $4999. delivered. Does anyone have any additional details on this?

Thanks for all the responses guys! I have weighed all the options on the tubs i've seen so far and the Evo looks to be the best deal @$4799 (if they put it back on sale). It has everything I need and the few bad things i've seen aren't that important to me personally. If I have problems with the side panels, i read they had a fix for it, or i'm sure I could rig something up. I'm not too concerned with the cover. A few people have said they thought the jets wern't powerful enough, I'm not much of a bit "jet" guy anyway so I don't think that'll be an issue, i'll probally mostly use them on the low setting anyway. I have been very impressed with the service that people on this forum have gotten from the Strong company. I was a professional plumber for 6.5 years and don't have any problems working on my own tub. As long as I could get parts i feel comfortable replacing almost anything on the tub. With my particular situation this tub seems the best for me, I have looked at local dealers once just to get a feeler, one Jacuzzi dealer was waaay too high for my budget other other dealer (Caldeara i think) had something somewhat similar(fewer features) for about $7K out the door. I'm interested in looking into the new model in coming in August. I guess overall i'm not in too much of a rush, if the CSXi80 went away before i was to get one i wouldn't be too heartbroken. I'm sure i'll visit my local dealers at least a few more times before making a decision. I've got time and patience on my side.

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying the Evo CSXi80 from Costco online. Their price right now is $5499+tax. They always seem to have a tub on "sale" with between $750-$1000 knocked off. This month they have an OC 7ft tub with $1K off for $3500. I'm wondering what you fellow CSXi80 owners paid for your tub. Should I wait and see if the CSXi80 eventually goes on "Sale". I'm not ready at the moment to buy but I would like to in the coming months. Thanks for your replies!!!!

I paid $4799, but that was just luck - I wasn't waiting for the sale. Seems Costco/Strong have had this model on sale for a good amount of the time that they've offered it. I was prepared to pay $5499, as IMO it fits my needs and offers the best bang for the buck. It's proven to be a good buy so far. I would do it again.