Fl1 Error: Sundance Hawthorne

cpuKEN

The last 3 days has seen my Hawthorne spa flash the FL1 error message. As a result, pump 1 will not turn on. Pump 1 is the pump used for filtration and kicks on whenever the heater is needed.

The 1st time this happened (2 days ago), I read some general info in the manual that says something like "the pressure switch is not closed when the jets pump 1 is activated. Proper waterflow is inhibited or pressure switch has malfunctioned." It goes onto to say, check water level or checked for clogged or excessively dirty filter cartridges. So, I took out the filters and hosed them off... somewhere along the line this solved the problem (temporarily).

Here's the kicker, I purchased the spa 4 months ago, so I called the dealer and told them of the problem. When the returned my call later that day the 1st thing they wanted from me was my Credit Card number... even before they would schedule a service visit. When I told them it should be under warranty they said they needed it just in case the problem was not covered under warranty!!! After I gave them the credit card info they said a service guy would call later to arrange a service visit... they didn't offer any suggestions of things to try to resolve my problem, just give us the CC number and wait!! To say I was disappointed by this would be an understatement.

Now that the FL1 error is back I thought I post here to see if anyone has any additional insight on what's going on and how to address it.

Some additional info is that we have had a couple grad kids and 2 more adults in the spa during this time. Of course this has resulted in more foaming then we have ever seen. I assume this may not be a coincidence.

thanks

Ken

The last 3 days has seen my Hawthorne spa flash the FL1 error message. As a result, pump 1 will not turn on. Pump 1 is the pump used for filtration and kicks on whenever the heater is needed.

The 1st time this happened (2 days ago), I read some general info in the manual that says something like "the pressure switch is not closed when the jets pump 1 is activated. Proper waterflow is inhibited or pressure switch has malfunctioned." It goes onto to say, check water level or checked for clogged or excessively dirty filter cartridges. So, I took out the filters and hosed them off... somewhere along the line this solved the problem (temporarily).

Here's the kicker, I purchased the spa 4 months ago, so I called the dealer and told them of the problem. When the returned my call later that day the 1st thing they wanted from me was my Credit Card number... even before they would schedule a service visit. When I told them it should be under warranty they said they needed it just in case the problem was not covered under warranty!!! After I gave them the credit card info they said a service guy would call later to arrange a service visit... they didn't offer any suggestions of things to try to resolve my problem, just give us the CC number and wait!! To say I was disappointed by this would be an understatement.

Now that the FL1 error is back I thought I post here to see if anyone has any additional insight on what's going on and how to address it.

Some additional info is that we have had a couple grad kids and 2 more adults in the spa during this time. Of course this has resulted in more foaming then we have ever seen. I assume this may not be a coincidence.

thanks

Ken

Is your hawthorne equip with a circ pump in it?

Im guessig the reason they asked for a cc up front is because 4/5 flo (fl1) error messages are caused by a dirty filter, and of course thats not covered by warranty. Your filter is the first suspect, remember a filter can look ok and still be clogged with minerals. I would try removing the filter and seeing if the pump/jet pressure seems to be improved, if thats the case it may be time for a new filter or a good acid based filter clean soak. If the jets seem ok with the filter in and out, and you still get fl1 then you are lookin a a new pressure switch and that would be covered by your 3 year warranty.

Hope that helps

Im guessig the reason they asked for a cc up front is because 4/5 flo (fl1) error messages are caused by a dirty filter, and of course thats not covered by warranty. Your filter is the first suspect, remember a filter can look ok and still be clogged with minerals. I would try removing the filter and seeing if the pump/jet pressure seems to be improved, if thats the case it may be time for a new filter or a good acid based filter clean soak. If the jets seem ok with the filter in and out, and you still get fl1 then you are lookin a a new pressure switch and that would be covered by your 3 year warranty.

Hope that helps

That makes sense on one level but I guess I was expecting my dealer to say... check/clean your filter and let us know if that fixes the problem. I get the impression they were looking forward to charging me a trip charge, only to come down and clean the filter for me.

Twice this has happened and it appears that both times removing and cleaning the filter fixed the problem (at least temporarily). I just hosed them off. I plan on doing an overnight soaking sometime soon to see if that resolves the problem for a while. Like I mentioned earlier, some additional bathers probably is what pushed things over the edge. Judging from the amount of foaming that occurred, I wonder is excessive foaming can contribute to the problem if that is only and indicator of new/more bathers.

thanks

Ken

Hope that helps

That makes sense on one level but I guess I was expecting my dealer to say... check/clean your filter and let us know if that fixes the problem. I get the impression they were looking forward to charging me a trip charge, only to come down and clean the filter for me.

Twice this has happened and it appears that both times removing and cleaning the filter fixed the problem (at least temporarily). I just hosed them off. I plan on doing an overnight soaking sometime soon to see if that resolves the problem for a while. Like I mentioned earlier, some additional bathers probably is what pushed things over the edge. Judging from the amount of foaming that occurred, I wonder is excessive foaming can contribute to the problem if that is only and indicator of new/more bathers.

thanks

Ken

Buy a 2nd filter and rotate them.

Hope that helps

thanks

Ken

Buy a 2nd filter and rotate them.

Soaked the filters overnight in a filter cleaning solution.

Hosed the filters off the next day and then let them soak in clean water.

Hosed the filters off a last time before reinstalling them.

Adjusted the water chemistry a small bit

... about 30 minutes later... FL1 error reappeared!!!

I started checking for replacement filters online just to have some spares I might rotate in and out.

This would allow for no delay in being able to use the tub while the others might be cleaned/soaked.

While doing this research I revisited the user manual only to discover the average life span of the filters

is 2 years!!!

Now I'm wondering if there is something else going on.

Ken

The average life for a well maintained filter is 1.5-2 years. Well maintained to our dealership is soaked in a filter cleaning solution at least every 3 months if not more often. I I went to your tub I would run the jets with the filter out, then reinstall it and run the jets again, if there is a difference, it's time for a new filter. Some of those years they have a screen/grate where the filter suction is, check that for debris also. It is possible there's a problem with the pressure switch, but that would be unusual for such a new spa. Like I said before a high majority of those errors are filter related. Using the jet test above you should be able to tell if that's possibly the issue, otherwise give em your cc and have them come look at it, a pressure switch is fast and easy to replace, and would be covered by warranty.

Ken - I have the Hawthorne, but with the ozonator.

I've recently been getting an occasional FL1 message - in my case it's caused by an airlock in the circ pump system. This seems to be caused by the tub getting 2 degrees F above set temp, then the circ pump shutting down (due to the built in 'summer logic' on Sundance). Easy fix is to remove fliter one, then purge out the air by holding a hose over the filter intake hole (you'll see the air bubbles appear from one or more jets).

Just a guess but maybe your problem is an airlock too? Try the hosepipe trick.

• 1 year later...

I have the jacuzzi j 330 hot tub and if I had to do it all all over again I would have never bought this tub. It's been nothing but a POS pain in the arse since the day I got it, (buttons breaking, waterfall breaks, jet's break and won't stay in, have gone threw 3 main control boards, 1 circ pump, 1 new waterfall, 1 new switch valve, 2 top control display boards, and the list goes on and on...) and Jacuzzi has never helped me once!!

Since the pool and spa depot where I bought it no longer carries this brand I am completely on my own with this waste of 8 grand!!

Anyways, the reason I am here is because (like many others) I too get that stupid FL1 flashing error at least 2-3 times a year! I have since figured out on my own a simply fix and reason for why it happens.

*I am assuming at this point you have completely drained cleaned and done a fresh water re-fill...

1. of course check your filters, they really may need mega cleaning or even replaced...

2. check and see if the little straw sized heat out put line is actually pumping water. *if so go to next step..

3. *THE MAIN FIX and TROUBLE = There is a little grey wire coming from the master control board that is attached to a little (clear see threw) sensor that since Jacuzzi and probably others brands of over priced POS tubs have that need to be simply removed, cleaned, and in certain cases "like mine" you will actually need to carefully bend the flexible metal closer to the magnetic pick-up reader switch. Pay close attention before removing this as to what side or direction the flex metal with attached round magnet is facing!!!... This sensor when working corectly and the circ pump is actually pumping water threw it will cause the flex metal with the magnet to bend and be forced closer to the pick-up reader pole thus closing the circute like a light switch telling the master control board that all is safe and water is pumping to go ahead and turn on the heater. *Yes it's that simply and easy to fix.. and can be adjusted in real time while the tub is running even though when you remove it and put it back remove it and put it back until you get it cleaned and adjusted "just right" water will gush out and you may get a little wet, but no big deal.. ;)

4. Once you've done this cycle threw all the main pump modes and watch and in about 3-10 seconds the little nice red HEAT light will come on and stay on! :))) So you are done and it didn't cost you a single penny only a few minutes of your time.

I hope this helps others that may have this problem when everything else seems to be fine, Jacuzzi as company is a joke and I will never recomend or buy another product from them or anyone affiliated with them ever again! So yeah, there ya have it, a quick simple FREE fix that most pool repair techs would charge you lots of $$$ to fix when you can just DIY ;)))

Hope this helps.. Happy "repairs -vs- enjoying" you hot-tub with what should have been a recalled product, but it looks like we are stuck with this until we buy a new GOOD better quality Spa/Hot-Tub.

djshawn

Nashville, TN

I have the jacuzzi j 330 hot tub and if I had to do it all all over again I would have never bought this tub. It's been nothing but a POS pain in the arse since the day I got it, (buttons breaking, waterfall breaks, jet's break and won't stay in, have gone threw 3 main control boards, 1 circ pump, 1 new waterfall, 1 new switch valve, 2 top control display boards, and the list goes on and on...) and Jacuzzi has never helped me once!!

Since the pool and spa depot where I bought it no longer carries this brand I am completely on my own with this waste of 8 grand!!

Anyways, the reason I am here is because (like many others) I too get that stupid FL1 flashing error at least 2-3 times a year! I have since figured out on my own a simply fix and reason for why it happens.

*I am assuming at this point you have completely drained cleaned and done a fresh water re-fill...

1. of course check your filters, they really may need mega cleaning or even replaced...

2. check and see if the little straw sized heat out put line is actually pumping water. *if so go to next step..

3. *THE MAIN FIX and TROUBLE = There is a little grey wire coming from the master control board that is attached to a little (clear see threw) sensor that since Jacuzzi and probably others brands of over priced POS tubs have that need to be simply removed, cleaned, and in certain cases "like mine" you will actually need to carefully bend the flexible metal closer to the magnetic pick-up reader switch. Pay close attention before removing this as to what side or direction the flex metal with attached round magnet is facing!!!... This sensor when working corectly and the circ pump is actually pumping water threw it will cause the flex metal with the magnet to bend and be forced closer to the pick-up reader pole thus closing the circute like a light switch telling the master control board that all is safe and water is pumping to go ahead and turn on the heater. *Yes it's that simply and easy to fix.. and can be adjusted in real time while the tub is running even though when you remove it and put it back remove it and put it back until you get it cleaned and adjusted "just right" water will gush out and you may get a little wet, but no big deal.. ;)

4. Once you've done this cycle threw all the main pump modes and watch and in about 3-10 seconds the little nice red HEAT light will come on and stay on! :))) So you are done and it didn't cost you a single penny only a few minutes of your time.

I hope this helps others that may have this problem when everything else seems to be fine, Jacuzzi as company is a joke and I will never recomend or buy another product from them or anyone affiliated with them ever again! So yeah, there ya have it, a quick simple FREE fix that most pool repair techs would charge you lots of $$$ to fix when you can just DIY ;)))

Hope this helps.. Happy "repairs -vs- enjoying" you hot-tub with what should have been a recalled product, but it looks like we are stuck with this until we buy a new GOOD better quality Spa/Hot-Tub.

djshawn

Nashville, TN

I'd recommend actually measuring the water flow through the heat circuit before declaring success. The circ pump on the J330 puts out about 12 GPM with new filters in the tub. The Harwil flow switch is calibrated by the factory to close at approximately 8 to 9 GPM. Any bending of the metal arm holding the magnet is likely to result in a switch that closes at something outside of specifications. If it closes at too low of a flow, you could damage the heater.

John