1.5 Hp Hayward Pro Pump Leaking When Turned Off.

Hello, have what should be a simple question regarding our Hayward Pro 1.5 HP pump leaking from the basket cover when turned off. We typically run the pump 24/7 for our EW Millenium 15x30, no leaks, works great. When we shut it off to clean the pool, or empty the pump strainer basket, water leaks out (only when pump turned off) from the basket. When I say basket I mean the round portion that has the strainer with a circular cover with o-ring. The previous pump was replaced due to a bad bearing, and this one is new, with a new o-ring. I can prevent it from leaking (when turned off) by almost overtightening the basket lid, but my fiancee cannot open it to empty the strainer.

Great pump, but with the economy as it is, and the probable installation of a timer, we can't have water leaking out when it's on it's off cycle. I haven't really lubricated the o-ring (thought I read that somewhere), and all I can guess is it's gravity feeding down from the pool out the basket lid. Only happens when it's turned off, and no air is leaking into pump when running. Can I stack a second o-ring on top of first for a tighter seal ?

Hello, have what should be a simple question regarding our Hayward Pro 1.5 HP pump leaking from the basket cover when turned off. We typically run the pump 24/7 for our EW Millenium 15x30, no leaks, works great. When we shut it off to clean the pool, or empty the pump strainer basket, water leaks out (only when pump turned off) from the basket. When I say basket I mean the round portion that has the strainer with a circular cover with o-ring. The previous pump was replaced due to a bad bearing, and this one is new, with a new o-ring. I can prevent it from leaking (when turned off) by almost overtightening the basket lid, but my fiancee cannot open it to empty the strainer.

Great pump, but with the economy as it is, and the probable installation of a timer, we can't have water leaking out when it's on it's off cycle. I haven't really lubricated the o-ring (thought I read that somewhere), and all I can guess is it's gravity feeding down from the pool out the basket lid. Only happens when it's turned off, and no air is leaking into pump when running. Can I stack a second o-ring on top of first for a tighter seal ?

Can't address the idea of placing a second o-ring (this doesn't sound like a good idea) ... but you should try a bead of Jack's Forumula 327 or other brand (or generic) pool lube around the threads and existing o-ring. That way, tightening and loosening the pump pot cover should be a lot easier and the lube should protect the o-ring as well as provide a water tight fit.

Is it a constant leak if it is i would go pick up a new oring that should solve the problem. If it just spits a little water out when u shut it of it is beaing caused by back pressure in your sytem which isnt a big deal. Another option is tighting it down tighter and come up with a tool ure fiance can use to get more leverage on the pumplid.

• 3 weeks later...

"A leak will only leak if it is below the water line."

A novel "solution" would be to raise the Pump to the water level of the Pool. That will reduce the pressure on the seal and reduce any leak to a very small trickle (if any.)

Do not locate the pump ABOVE the water level or the leak may work in reverse and allow air to get into the pump and the water to drain back into the pool causing the pump to lose it's "prime".