Water Is Green And Filter Grids Out For Delivery.

Carl.F

The filter elements for my Hayward DE4800 are on the FedEx truck for delivery, should arrive soon. The pump has not been circulating since last Saturday. Just wondering if anyone knows the best way to start the system and get the DE into the filter with the water so yucky.

The water is just as green as the grass, if not greener, and there is a slight skim on top.

Here are a couple of pictures. Any suggestions?

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

The filter elements for my Hayward DE4800 are on the FedEx truck for delivery, should arrive soon. The pump has not been circulating since last Saturday. Just wondering if anyone knows the best way to start the system and get the DE into the filter with the water so yucky.

The water is just as green as the grass, if not greener, and there is a slight skim on top.

Here are a couple of pictures. Any suggestions?

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

you can add DE. Just don't add as much as you usually as you will need to backwash frequently. add 1 lb less than you usually to recharge. use 3 LBS of DE powder.

Still waiting for the FedEx truck, net skimmed a lot of the yuck off the surface.

I think the plan is filter with DE in the system until tomorrow. (Backwashing and reloading DE as often as necessary.) Then heavy shock and use start up kit as per directions. Continue the backwashing and reloading and see what happens. :unsure:

Carl, sorry to have to mention this, but Gavin has shown via prior posts on other topics that he's not your best source of information. Follow the directions in your filter owner's manual. If you don't have a copy, you can download one at www.haywardnet.com. 3" of DE is HALF of what you should be adding. Hayward recommends 6# DE for the DE4800. Any less and you can cause other problems. DE is cheap, don't scrimp with it. You will have to backwash more frequently, as the algae will load up the filter rapidly. Shock the pool heavily to start killing the algae & maintain your water religiously, and your pool will likely be back in great shape in a week or two.

Carl, sorry to have to mention this, but Gavin has shown via prior posts on other topics that he's not your best source of information. Follow the directions in your filter owner's manual. If you don't have a copy, you can download one at www.haywardnet.com. 3" of DE is HALF of what you should be adding. Hayward recommends 6# DE for the DE4800. Any less and you can cause other problems. DE is cheap, don't scrimp with it. You will have to backwash more frequently, as the algae will load up the filter rapidly. Shock the pool heavily to start killing the algae & maintain your water religiously, and your pool will likely be back in great shape in a week or two.

Txpooolguy gave youi good advice! Gavin is not a dependable source of info.

Guys, here is an update:

The grids arrived at about 12:15 yesterday. My wife and I installed the grids in the carrier/frame and assembled the filter and powered it up by 13:00. I backwashed it the first time at 1830 yesterday evening. Reloaded the filter, heavy shocked it and started the start up kit procedure and let it run all night.

Woke up this morning at 07:30 to find no movement in the pool, the filter was running, but clogged. Backwashed and reloaded the DE. I do have a slight trace of water from the filter drain plug, but I won't worry about that for a few weeks, I'll take care of that when I disassemble the filter to clean the grids.

This is what it looks like now.

IMG_0418.jpg

Beautiful! Now, when's the party and what should we bring? The filter drain plug should have an o-ring gasket on it, might just need tightened a little. Make sure to wipe dirt off it before reinstalling, as well as the sealing surfaces on the plug and the filter tank. Add a bit of lubricant & it should seal up without much problem.

Here is another update. The water is clearing up real nice, I've backwashed and reloaded the filter twice since this morning. On each end of going out to BJ's for coffee and milk and coming home with a new Hyundai SantaFe for the wife.

I think in the morning before heading out to work I will backwash and reload again, and then vacuum to waste when I get home in the afternoon.