Chemical Question

rocket

Was wondering if this is a problem. I was testing my chlorine level with a Taylor test kit. Dumped two little scoopers of the powder stuff in the test tube with water in it. Put 7 drops in the tube and the water turned clear (which is good 3.5). However I walked away for a minute and the wind blew the test tube over and it all spilled in the pool. Is this a problem. On the powder it says it has major warnings about getting on skin, inhaling, and ingestion (DPD reagent) . Dropper bottom says the same. I am worried about my kids going in the pool. Will this spilled test breakdown/evaporate or stay in my water?

It is not a problem. The quantity is very small and will be greatly diluted by the volume of pool water.

It is not a problem. The quantity is very small and will be greatly diluted by the volume of pool water.

Over time will it dissolve completely?

What are you supposed to do with the test water in tube. Dump it in your grass? Down the drain?

Over time will it dissolve completely?

What are you supposed to do with the test water in tube. Dump it in your grass? Down the drain?

Taylor discourages dumping samples back into the pool but I've observed that pool service company employees do this routinely. As chem geek stated, the quantity is so minute that it really shouldn't affect the water. The contents of most common tests (used samples) will likely dissolve instantly. Since I started testing inside I empty the used samples down the kitchen drain. If you use a salt test that involves silver nitrate, do be careful during titration, "full strength" silver nitrate stains hands and countertops (and probably other surfaces) rather quickly. Highly concentrated acids and bases used in a few tests can irritate or burn skin and I usually flush testing surfaces and drains with plenty of water if spilled.