3 Shocks Still Green

oldman

Cover failed me this winter it seems , opened the pool Sunday and three shock and the water is still pale green

Even the ugliest water can usually be rescued... with enough chlorine, filtering and attention. It would be helpful (in addition to information already requested) to post a full set of test results. If you don't have a test kit, take a sample to the pool store and request a print-out:

pH

Free Chlorine (FC)

Combined Chlorine (CC)

Total Chlorine (TC)

Total Alkallinity (TA)

Calcium Hardness (CH)

Cyanuric Acid (CYA)

Salt PPM (if this is a salt water pool)

Is the water cloudy or clear? What type of filter (sand, DE, cartridge)? Has it been backwashed or cleaned lately?

The most common reason for a green pool is algae growth but there are other reasons, as well.

The pool IS 5800 gal. I put new sand in the filter every season just to be safe, my three shocks consisted of 2-1 lb bags of green out twice and the last shock was 2-1 lb. bags of pool shock plus 19 0zs of wac./groan. added I 2.56 bottle of bleach last nite to try and get the FC/free clorean, this morning added PH up and the pool ligthened up somewhat but still light green , any help further would be appreciated greatly cause this is getting exspensive now AND ANY general STORE PRODUCTS THAT CAN REPLACE THE POOL STORE ITEMS which are expensive would also be greatly appreciated as I live on a fixed income and trying hard to keep the expenses down a little as this season to open is getting out of hand already TIA...

The pool IS 5800 gal. I put new sand in the filter every season just to be safe, my three shocks consisted of 2-1 lb bags of green out twice and the last shock was 2-1 lb. bags of pool shock plus 19 0zs of wac./groan. added I 2.56 bottle of bleach last nite to try and get the FC/free clorean, this morning added PH up and the pool ligthened up somewhat but still light green , any help further would be appreciated greatly cause this is getting exspensive now AND ANY general STORE PRODUCTS THAT CAN REPLACE THE POOL STORE ITEMS which are expensive would also be greatly appreciated as I live on a fixed income and trying hard to keep the expenses down a little as this season to open is getting out of hand already TIA...

It sounds like you need a reliable, inexpensive test kit so you can know exactly what's in your pool... add just the right amount of bleach to kill off the algae and keep it gone. I'd recommend a one-time investment of $50 - $60 to purchase a Taylor K-2006A FAS-DPD Chlorine test kit (it's listed at the top of the linked page). You'll save this much in unneeded chemicals during the swim season but the kit will serve you well for several years. If you already have a test kit you like but don't have the FAS-DPD chlorine test (starts off pink and turns clear) consider purchasing just this test. The Taylor K-1515-A is about $21 from this supplier, excluding shipping.

Want to save money on pool chemicals by purchasing most of them at the grocery store instead of a pool store? See this link and this one for a discussion about this approach.

The basic idea behind successfully defeating algae in your pool is described here. If you need more specific answers regarding how to clear algae, please post current test results (indicate if the tests were run at a pool store).