A Starting Point

Hi Folks,

I have a green pool. I've been circulating the water for an hour or so and the ph is approx 8 (I only have the strips, I couldn't find the better kits today). My pool is 24 feet round above ground - 52 inches high. I purchased Ultra Bleach (6%) to do the shocking. How much do I use and how do I moniter it after the fact? At what levels do I add more?

Any help is appreciated!

Hi Folks,

I have a green pool. I've been circulating the water for an hour or so and the ph is approx 8 (I only have the strips, I couldn't find the better kits today). My pool is 24 feet round above ground - 52 inches high. I purchased Ultra Bleach (6%) to do the shocking. How much do I use and how do I moniter it after the fact? At what levels do I add more?

Any help is appreciated!

Welcome to the forum.

Assuming the most common cause for a green pool (algae), you will want to begin treating it right away. Before you start, lower the pH with muriatic acid. Use care when applying, it has a rather unpleasant smell and should be poured slowly in the pool in front of a return with the filter/pump operating. Good test kits are hard or impossible to find in pool stores. Your best bet is to procure one via an on-line vendor. The Taylor K-2006 is available for less than $60 at the following web sites:

Amatoind.com

PoolCenter.com

Spspools-spas.com

Lincolnaquatics.com

To determine how much bleach you'll need to add, you must know the level of CYA (aka cyanuric acid or stabilizer) present in the pool water. The kit mentioned above will give you an accurate measurement of CYA. Refer to the Best Guess CYA chart to determine shock level. With the pump running 24/7 add as much bleach as needed to achieve shock level and maintain this level until there is less than 1 PPM Free Chlorine lost from dusk to dawn. This requires frequent testing and repeated applications of liquid chlorine or bleach. I use the Pool Calculator to calculate how much of a particular chemical to add. Post back with any questions... there are many folks here capable of helping you through this.