Steps Staining

my steps get an orange-ish stain on them and the pool store sells me a small $30 bottle of hot tub salt which i put in a sock and rub the stain and it

works great but disolves fast. and stain keeps coming back. does anyone have any clue what is causing it?

Could it be yellow or mustard algae?

my steps get an orange-ish stain on them and the pool store sells me a small $30 bottle of hot tub salt which i put in a sock and rub the stain and it

works great but disolves fast. and stain keeps coming back. does anyone have any clue what is causing it?

I have a fiberglass pool. Brownish stains. Asorbic acid (vitamin C) removes them quickly but they come back. I'm told to use a metal sequestering agent, assuming the stains are iron or copper or tannin from trees. I'll try it next week. (apply a maintanance dose of SA every week.)

The products I used: Stainfree (AA); Metalfree, the sequestering agent.

I'm not saying that this will work, but maybe. As Seahunt says, maybe an algae.

Fiberglass pool?

the pool is not fiberglass but the steps are.

I don't think it's an algae as it's not easy to get off that salt is the only

thing that works. Or a magic eraser.

Could it be tannins from a tree? I do have a tree that partially overhangs

the pool.

openbahr - do you have a vinyl-lined pool? Are the stains located along the waterline or underwater? If underwater, it is likely a metal stain and you can disregard the rest of this.

If along the waterline, it may well be a scum line caused by sunblock. I have a 3-year old vinyl-lined pool w/ acrylic/thermoplastic steps (an acrylic shell underlaid w/ fiberglass for reinforcement; the upper/exterior surface is acrylic) and have experienced yellowish stains along the waterline in my step section. I find the same thing in my skimmer box - clean plastic is a magnet for oily sunblock residue. I experimented w/ a lot of things (vinyl/tile cleaner, baking soda, sodium bisulphate and muriatic acid) and finally settled on a process of coating the scum line w/ vinyl/tile cleaner, letting it sit for 2-3 minutes, then rubbing (but not scrubbing) w/ a Magic Eraser. The longer the scum line sits, the more time it takes to remove, so I tend to hit it once soon after bathers exit the pool and again a few hours later or the next morning.

Confirm whether the surface of your steps is fiberglass or acrylic. If fiberglass, I would NOT recommend using a Magic Eraser - it will dull and eventually strip the gel coat. No worries about using a Magic Eraser on acrylic, although I avoid scrubbing very hard and cleaning them excessively. The staining doesn't appear as often since I implemented a sunblock rule: no lotions allowed, only waterproof/resistant clear sprays, which must be applied a solid 5 mins before entering the pool. The stuff is like glue, once it dries it tends to last a couple of hours in total immersion. I shudder to think of what the waterline (and my filter media) would look like after a party w/ 10-15 people wearing lotions/oils.

Finally, don't ever use a Magic Eraser on a vinyl liner. A weekly rubdown w/ vinyl cleaner and a sponge is all you need.

openbahr - do you have a vinyl-lined pool? Are the stains located along the waterline or underwater? If underwater, it is likely a metal stain and you can disregard the rest of this.

If along the waterline, it may well be a scum line caused by sunblock. I have a 3-year old vinyl-lined pool w/ acrylic/thermoplastic steps (an acrylic shell underlaid w/ fiberglass for reinforcement; the upper/exterior surface is acrylic) and have experienced yellowish stains along the waterline in my step section. I find the same thing in my skimmer box - clean plastic is a magnet for oily sunblock residue. I experimented w/ a lot of things (vinyl/tile cleaner, baking soda, sodium bisulphate and muriatic acid) and finally settled on a process of coating the scum line w/ vinyl/tile cleaner, letting it sit for 2-3 minutes, then rubbing (but not scrubbing) w/ a Magic Eraser. The longer the scum line sits, the more time it takes to remove, so I tend to hit it once soon after bathers exit the pool and again a few hours later or the next morning.

Confirm whether the surface of your steps is fiberglass or acrylic. If fiberglass, I would NOT recommend using a Magic Eraser - it will dull and eventually strip the gel coat. No worries about using a Magic Eraser on acrylic, although I avoid scrubbing very hard and cleaning them excessively. The staining doesn't appear as often since I implemented a sunblock rule: no lotions allowed, only waterproof/resistant clear sprays, which must be applied a solid 5 mins before entering the pool. The stuff is like glue, once it dries it tends to last a couple of hours in total immersion. I shudder to think of what the waterline (and my filter media) would look like after a party w/ 10-15 people wearing lotions/oils.

Finally, don't ever use a Magic Eraser on a vinyl liner. A weekly rubdown w/ vinyl cleaner and a sponge is all you need.

yes, its from the waterline down. all of the steps under water. and the skimmer plastic.

It cant be sunblock anyway because when I opened the pool, it was fine and then within a few days the stains came back. before anyone went in.

if its metals what do I do?

its a rust colored staining.

I have not yet tried the Stainfree/Metalfree treatment as I am taking a short vacation. Once I do, I'll let you know the results. I know the Stainfree(asorbic acid) will remove the stains (probably iron/copper). I am hoping that the Metalfree maintanace treatment will keep them away.

• 4 weeks later...

This is what worked for me, what I believe to be iron stains. Stainfree(asorbic acid) followed in one hour by metalfree per instructions.

As maintanance, weekly metalfree but a double dose. Single dose did not keep the stains away for the week.

My iron just tested at .3