Steel Sided Inground Pool With Rust Issues

I've got rust in the skimmers and quite a bit on the seams and around the top, localized in those areas.

I'm wondering if there's a proven fix or procedure, for issues like this. I know it's a big job.

see the photos:

Pool Pics

~~~~~~~~~

My tentative plan is to strip the paint off the sides, with stripping chemicals and spackle spachula stripper.

Then grind and scrape all the rust off possible ( jeez - this could eat thru the seams )

Then treat with naval jelly, even though I hope I won't have or see any more rust.

Then prime it, and paint it with marine paint. ( this alone might be $2000+)

~~~~~~~~~

I don't have experience with any of these steps, except for when I tried something like this last year.

I think my approach was a little light, and I just had a grinding stone and then used Naval.Jelly, then a Rustoleum paint product.

The rust came back and the paint chipped.

So I'm looking to do it the 'Right' way this year

Anyone have suggestions, references, links, or a procudure/guide I can follow

TIA ( Thanks in Advance )

Kinda curious how far I might have to grind and scrape out to fully remove the rust.

If it gets really bad, I will - damage the seams, and then I'd have re-weld ?

actually that might get expensive, but sounds like a good solution.

Also Should I try to remove all the paint ( the walls are only 5' tall )

Or just let the solid surfaces alone, and remove all the paint from only trouble areas ?

if you have input, let me know. thanks

...or you could convert it to a vinyl liner pool. It looks like a pretty straight forward pool--a new liner probably wouldn't cost too much. I imagine it would be a lot cheaper and easier than the process you are suggesting.

Good luck.

Jeff

I also notice that the skimmers are quite rusty.

They are mounted in the concrete siding and basically are 2 metal boxes, painted and welded together.

One box goes horizontally from the main pool to the cavity. And the other goes vertical from deck surface down to the line. Jeez, I got a quote from a pool contractor, and of course the delay, and then the price: $1500/skimmer x 2.

I realize these guys have once a year to make their $$$, but With all my issues, did I really need to be gouged ?

I note the horizontal metal chamber that comes out to the pool, has a flange that covers over it, and is bolted into the side of the pool. OK? bolted into the steel side, I guess.

The other issue, I'm wondering about is, How the bottom of the steel side and the concrete bottom, were attached together to make water tight ? What bond could have been used ? I don't think I'd trust a water-tight seal to a seal of primer and paint. I maybe resurfacing the steel area near the bottom, and it's quite possible I will need to reseal it.