Moto-Massage Troubleshooting

Hi guys,

2000 HS Jetsetter. All jets have great flow. The MM jet has "good" flow but won't go up and down. I looked for the small airtube to be disconnected but it is attached. Not sure what the black o-ring does?

The jet feels very floppy and flexible but won't go up and down. Air control is wide open and does work on other jets on that circuit.

I don't mind replacing if I have to but would rather fix if possible.

What does go wrong with these and to what extent can they be repaired vs replacing?

thx,

bob

1st remove your filters to see if they are restricting flow.

If the jet has plenty of air coming out of it then replace the jet (with a white one). Make sure the diverter (smart jet selector) in not in the middle position.

The o-ring is like a little clamp to hold on the airline.

Pull off the airline and unscrew the jet (no need to empty the spa) hold the jet by the head and let it dangle. If it has a curve in it even after shaking it then replace the jet.

I mention using a white one - don't ask me why, but in my experience the white ones don't develop the curve.

If the jet has plenty of air coming out of it then replace the jet (with a white one). Make sure the diverter (smart jet selector) in not in the middle position.

Pull off the airline and unscrew the jet (no need to empty the spa) hold the jet by the head and let it dangle. If it has a curve in it even after shaking it then replace the jet.

I mention using a white one - don't ask me why, but in my experience the white ones don't develop the curve.

Thanks, Pete

I'll check that later.

I *think* that it did not have air coming out when turning the air control. Air came out of the other jets.

What does that mean?

thx

bob

The moto jet has an airline hose - if that is broken it is a cheap easy fix. HotSpring dealers should carry those hoses.

Sorry for the confusion, Pete.

There is plenty of air and water coming out of the MM, the airline tube is connected, and the jet moves freely up and down by hand. It's full of water and I haven't tried the "dangle" test yet.

thx!

bob

The moto jet has an airline hose - if that is broken it is a cheap easy fix. HotSpring dealers should carry those hoses.

There is plenty of air and water coming out of the MM, the airline tube is connected, and the jet moves freely up and down by hand. It's full of water and I haven't tried the "dangle" test yet.

thx!

bob

The spa is 10 years old and if thats teh original tube its time for a change. Its a simple change and probably what is needed.

thx!

bob

The spa is 10 years old and if thats teh original tube its time for a change. Its a simple change and probably what is needed.

Thanks.

Do you mean change the small air tube?

Can I try just the tube if everything else seems fine (Good air/water flow)? Not trying to cheap out but don't want to replace the whole jet ($125) if I don't have to!!

thx

bob

Thanks.

Do you mean change the small air tube?

Can I try just the tube if everything else seems fine (Good air/water flow)? Not trying to cheap out but don't want to replace the whole jet ($125) if I don't have to!!

thx

bob

You could try changing the air tube alone and maybe that will do it but at the same time if that jet is the original I'd change the entire assembly. Tough to say without looking at it.

• 9 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 7/13/2020 at 2:38 PM, Richard L Frazier said:

I have a 5 year old Hot Springs Aria and the double MotoMassage has stopped functioning.  The center plastic tube (air line) is totally collapsed with the jets either on or off.  Good force out of the jet outlets, unit just does not move.

I have the same issue. How did you correct it?

• 5 months later...
On 5/18/2010 at 7:28 AM, Peteyboy said:

Quick? about the above. I too have an unmoving moto massage jet in my '07 Soverign II. I just recently did my quarterly drain, clean, & refill. I have plenty of flow from all jets and just installed clean, new filters during my drain & refill.

I did replace the air line a few months ago, because it wasn't working. Upon closer inspection the air hose was disconnected and just looked tired/old.

I'll be trying the dangle test next, but in the meantime, I wanted to ask about the black o-ring. I initially installed the air hose by connecting it at the hose nipple against the outside of the tub, closest to the cabinet, where there's a clear hose clamp (for lack of a better word) and I installed the o-ring at the other, flexible end of the jet.

Is that correct or should it go the other way, with the o-ring closet to the tub cabinet end of the air hose? Please excuse my ignorance but I just wanted to be sure that was right before trying the dangle test. Thank you, in advance, for your assistance.

• 11 months later...
On 6/14/2022 at 9:25 PM, OrvisGuy said:

@Richard L Frazier I have the same issue with the collapsed air hose on my dual Moto Massager. Did you find a solution? 

Normally I say start a new post, but the answer is simple - these motomassager jets are a "consumable" (lifespan is up to or over a decade depending on water chemistry) and intended to be easy to replace.   Buy a replacement jet and watch some videos online how to replace the motomassager jet