Draining Pool

Based on my latest tests from the pool store, by Stabilizer is at 100ppm. My understanding is that I should be around 50, maybe a bit higher since the pool receives direct FL sun for most of the afternoon. That said, I'm going for another test tomorrow, to see if we've dropped at all during the week. If not, I plan to drain some of the pool water and refill, to drop my CYA. Growing up with a sand filter, we would just backwash to drain. I have Pentair Cartridge filter on this pool and am not sure the most efficient way to drain the pool. I dont see any plumbed outlet in the established plumbing for draining the pool. Am I missing something?

Based on my latest tests from the pool store, by Stabilizer is at 100ppm. My understanding is that I should be around 50, maybe a bit higher since the pool receives direct FL sun for most of the afternoon. That said, I'm going for another test tomorrow, to see if we've dropped at all during the week. If not, I plan to drain some of the pool water and refill, to drop my CYA. Growing up with a sand filter, we would just backwash to drain. I have Pentair Cartridge filter on this pool and am not sure the most efficient way to drain the pool. I dont see any plumbed outlet in the established plumbing for draining the pool. Am I missing something?

Rain overflow and splash-out (from swimming) will reduce CYA and CH given time. If you want to reduce it quickly, see if there isn't a hose bib on the pressure side (return) piping on your equipment pad. You may be able to pump out some of the water by diverting water from skimmer(s) (which can suck in air causing your pump to lose prime) if there's a jandy valve that controls it, suctioning water only from the main drain. I use an inexpensive (< $100) submersible pump, available at home supply and hardware stores and a garden hose, turn off the pool's circulation system and pump 10-15 inches of pool water at a time to waste (yard, drainage, sewer, street, etc). Refill with multiple hoses to mid-tile and then turn the pool pump on to circulate.

I wouldn't do anything with CYA at 100. Are you able to maintain a clear pool? If so, then don't worry about it. Some chemical companies say up to 200 is in the ideal range. I like to see 40-50, but the proof is in the water clarity. If you had a combination of high CYA and Calcium hardness, say over 300-350, I would then think about a partial drain. But at this point, just enjoy the pool.