Method Used To Raise The Ta Level

Hi

I've read about the methodology to lower TA-using the aeration method (not the slug way)

Is there a recommended method of applying Sodium Bicarb to my pool in order to raise the TA level from 50 to 100.My pH is reading ok at 7.2

I have used the pool calculators and worked out the amount of Bicarb for my 80,000 litre pool, NON SWG, Plaster Quartzon finish.

Would it be adviseable to:

1) pre-mix the Bicarb in cold water first and then dribble it aound the pool OR pour it in one or 2 spots;

2) Don't pre-mix BUT just add it as a powder around the pool generally or in pockets?

3) Would I keep the pool pump running?

4) If pump is to be kept on would I have it going through the filter or bypass the sand filter?

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

Eve

There's not really any need to dissolve sodium bicarb. You can just dump it in dry. Set your pump to recirculate if you have that option. You might have to break up some clumps with a brush—just push them around a little and they'll dissolve.

Or dissolve it in a bucket of water and pour it in.

Either way, try to broadcast it across the surface; that way it'll get mixed more quickly.

That's going to be quite a bit of bicarb—about 10 pounds? I would do this in two steps. Add half the amount, let it mix in for several hours, test. Add more if needed.

There's not really any need to dissolve sodium bicarb. You can just dump it in dry. Set your pump to recirculate if you have that option. You might have to break up some clumps with a brush—just push them around a little and they'll dissolve.

Or dissolve it in a bucket of water and pour it in.

Either way, try to broadcast it across the surface; that way it'll get mixed more quickly.

That's going to be quite a bit of bicarb—about 10 pounds? I would do this in two steps. Add half the amount, let it mix in for several hours, test. Add more if needed.

Hi there

Good to get a response.

I'm keen to put together a pool manual for our pool for future maintenance.WHY?

As I'm finding so much info out there that after a while it starts to go in circles and I've even found advice that contracdicts.

With A TA reading of 50 I've been looking online for advice on the methodology of applying the Sodium Bicarb.

I've found there is a lot of differing advice out there.For example one place suggests (Quote)

"With the pool pump OFF and the water motionless:

• Stand in one spot and slowly pour, don’t dump, the Sodium Bicarbonate into the deep-end of the pool

Sprinkle the Bicarbonate at you would use a salt shaker.

• Wait at least 2-3 hours for pools and 1 hour for your Hot Tub or spa.

• Turn the pump back on and allow the pool to cycle for about 1-2 hours, or a complete turn-over of the pool water, and 45 minutes for the Hot Tub or spa then re-test the total alkalinity.

A good practice to get into, is to premix or dissolve the baking soda in a bucket or mixing drum and then add the solution to the pool or spa. This procedure helps eliminate any signs of sodium bicarbonate from being visible at the bottom of your pool.

Another advises (Quote):

"You also need to be sure the pump motor is off and water is motionless when you add the bicarb(this is to raise the TA only). Allow it to sit for about 2-3 hours, then turn the pump back on and allow the pool 1 full turnover, then re-test your TA. this will give you the most accurate test.

Another:

"Raise the TA slowly in increments of 10 ppm at a time, allowing the water to circulate eight hours before adding more. Test the pH and TA before adding more.

Remember: The pump motor MUST be off when increasing or decreasing your alkalinity.

And you probably saved a little money, too.

Then there are others that recommend the Pump be on and also that the bicarb be added in increments every 4 days???

I often travel away from our property so leave the maintenance to others to continue. It is because of this that I want to ensure a standard approach that is specific to our pool.

Our pool is rectangle; 80,000 litres; concrete inground with quartzon plaster new finish (now 3 years old);NON SWG;In the South Pacific with warm temps;our water supply is not high in iron, copper etc (soft water); ph from supply approx 7.2; We work in metric litres and gms/kgs.

We have decided to waste some of our pool water based on the "pool Calculator" as our CYA was quite high at 100.

Because of this we held back from adjusting the Alkalinity.

We now have wasted 70% of the water and have begun refilling.

Someone there (I am not on the Island at present) has basically said they will superchlorinate it and then start other adjustments in a day or 2.

I was wondering if anyone could provide a step by step approach to re-filling a pool and the addition of chemicals and especially which order to apply these chemicals.

I thought to firstly apply Sodium Carb over the first 3 to 4 days to raise the TA. Then when the TA was closer to 100 adjust the pH accordingly (if required)and then Superchlorinate.

However, if I take approx 4 days to adjust the TA Won't this leave the sanitation of my pool in danger and permit algae etc to start.

So, I suppose what I'm asking is;

1) A step by Step approach to refilling a pool and chemicals to apply and the order of those chemicals; AND

2) A breakdown of the methodology of applying a said chemical eg-Sodium Bicarb sprinkled, dissolved?, pump on or off, duration of time, max amount to apply in a given day/ period?????

I have found info on summer pool start up or after winter etc but still not very clear????

PS; We would be superchlorinating with Dichlor granules and we also use Trichlor in the pool floatersas our main chlorine source.

Can others assist please.

So, I suppose what I'm asking is;

1) A step by Step approach to refilling a pool and chemicals to apply and the order of those chemicals; AND

2) A breakdown of the methodology of applying a said chemical eg-Sodium Bicarb sprinkled, dissolved?, pump on or off, duration of time, max amount to apply in a given day/ period?????

I have found info on summer pool start up or after winter etc but still not very clear????

PS; We would be superchlorinating with Dichlor granules and we also use Trichlor in the pool floatersas our main chlorine source.

Can others assist please.

All of those varied instructions to add Sodium Bicarbonate! I don't think there's a good reason to ever turn off the pump/filter while adding chemicals to a pool. What would this accomplish? Some chems (though prob. not baking soda) can cause a lot of damage if they're not circulated into the water upon application. Keep it simple! Turn the pump on, add the bicarbonate of soda however you wish and be sure it's incorporated into the water by brushing it, stirring it, whatever.

It's always good to wait a period of time (which varies for each pool) between additions of different compounds. My pool has a very fast turnover (3 hrs) so I get away with 15-20 minutes between additions. Larger pools or those with a low rate of circulation, no main drain and only one or two return jets should probably pump for 24 hours between applications.

Order of adding chemicals is just really not all that important. Under normal circumstances, adjust Total Alkalinity, then pH, then everything else (chlorine, calcium hardness, CYA and, if applicable, borates and salt). Take a couple of days, there's no rush.

But do take care to monitor your CYA level closely. Chlorinating with compounds such as TriChlor and Dichlor will rather quickly escalate cyanuric acid (CYA) content. If this were my pool I would pull out the TriChlor floater when the CYA reached 40-50 ppm and use 6% bleach or higher concentrated liquid chlorine on a daily (or twice weekly) basis.