Pollen...vacuuming With A Skimmer Sock On The Basket?

Hey guys, first post here! Also, first spring with my pool! Keeping the leaves out of the pool this winter was a piece of cake compared to the pollen this spring...anyway, my question is, I have/had a great deal of pollen in the pool, vacuumed the pool last weekend and what a mess! Basically just redistributed the pollen all throughout the pool...ok, well through the use of time to settle and also putting a skimmer sock on the skimmer basket it's all cleared up again, but now, I'm back to lot's of pollen on the bottom....

Is it OK to vacuum with the skimmer sock on the basket to catch the pollen or am I going to have to vacuum on the waste setting to get rid of the pollen...I'd appreciate any opinions! Thanks and I look forward to participating on this board, much more frequently.

Greg

Yes, it's okay to vacuum with a skimmer sock inside the skimmer basket. Depending on the amount of debris in your pool you may want to check the sock part-way through the vacuuming and change it or clean it so suction is not impeded by its contents.

Hey guys, first post here! Also, first spring with my pool! Keeping the leaves out of the pool this winter was a piece of cake compared to the pollen this spring...anyway, my question is, I have/had a great deal of pollen in the pool, vacuumed the pool last weekend and what a mess! Basically just redistributed the pollen all throughout the pool...ok, well through the use of time to settle and also putting a skimmer sock on the skimmer basket it's all cleared up again, but now, I'm back to lot's of pollen on the bottom....

Is it OK to vacuum with the skimmer sock on the basket to catch the pollen or am I going to have to vacuum on the waste setting to get rid of the pollen...I'd appreciate any opinions! Thanks and I look forward to participating on this board, much more frequently.

Greg

I'm trying to understand why the pool filter didn't catch (and hold) the pollen.... My cartridge filter doesn't let anything through that's visible to the naked eye. Have you inspected the filter?

If I understand correctly, the pollen from the top went to the skimmer, and some sunk? Yes Absolutely vaccuum using the sock, but you don't have too is what I think polyvue is saying. Some people love the socks, some hate them. Wanna save money!!! Go to walgreens and pick up Large, and by large, I mean for for BIG women knee high stockings. Yeah ask the little 16 y/o girl for help and they may call the police! LOL. I hate buying them, but as a tech love them!!!

I use skimmer socks all season long, but I appreciate them the most in April in Saint Louis, when I typically find the sock full of a tan substance that has the consistency of cellulose. Before I started using skimmer socks, I found that my sand filter would capture much, but not all of the pollen - and also found myself backwashing my filter every 2-3 days. If you spend a little time shopping on the internet you can find some real bargains - I bought 15 socks for less than $20 (incl. shipping) a few weeks ago. I'll try to find the confirmation e-mail...