New House...new Headache

Another new guy. My girlfriend bought a new(to her) house and I'm the pool boy. Step one, system diagnosis. I used my serch-fu to look for answers to my low pressure issues, and have come up with possible solutions which I am still exercising. Because I'm still going through the paces with my diagnosis, I'll spare you all the longwinded low pressure post, for now.

My system is currently running ridiculously low on pressure. It operates at 2PSI, according to the filter gauge. The gauge does seem to be functioning correctly. I'm assuming it's a leak at or before the pump. What I don't understand is why when I open the Jandy valve for the solar heater, the pressure in the system raises to 8PSI. The solar heater is after the pump, at the last step in the return. See picture below. They have two valves for the solar system, which I havent quite figured out why. I open both when turning the system on. Since the pressure is only going up when I open the solar lines, does this mean there's a clog in those lines? I also get air coming out the returns when I open the solar lines. This would lead me to believe there's a leak in it, but the pressure still rises. It doesn't help that it's all on the roof. Any steps to remedy or test this theory further.

FilterDiagramWDirection.jpg

TIA. I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time here.

- Craig

A couple things to check first:

- how much water is in the pump housing (is it full, does it have lots of air bubbles)

- Look at the top of your filter & see what the dial is pointing to ie; circulate, filter rinse. Make sure it is on filter.(Im guessing you have a sand filter. If Catridge check to see if the is a filter in the housing)

- Look at your return jets to see if there is any nozzles or fittings, if you have nothing there your not creating the proper backpressure for proper circulation.

One of these three should help your issue. With regards to the solar panels there is usually air stuck in a solar panels that are installed without the proper relief valve. Since the panels are pressurized you would only have a leak if there was water pouring off your roof. With regards to a leak before the pump a minor leak it would still produce a proper flow but with lots of air. A big break in a suction line you wouldnt be able to achieve prime from your pump to run the system & you might even pull in some dirt.

- how much water is in the pump housing (is it full, does it have lots of air bubbles)

Looking through the cover on the strainer at the pump(Dura-Glas), the housing is full and clear. There is a bubble or two trapped at the apex of the lid.

- Look at the top of your filter & see what the dial is pointing to ie; circulate, filter rinse. Make sure it is on filter.(Im guessing you have a sand filter. If Catridge check to see if the is a filter in the housing)

It's a cartridge and from what I can tell only has an option for on or off. Growing up with sand, I was looking for the lever that allowed me to choose the function, but this seems to be without. I did open the filter and rinsed the cartridge. I dont think they had the filter properly closed and primed previously, but I have addressed it since.

- Look at your return jets to see if there is any nozzles or fittings, if you have nothing there your not creating the proper backpressure for proper circulation.

All present and accounted for.

With regards to the solar panels there is usually air stuck in a solar panels that are installed without the proper relief valve. Since the panels are pressurized you would only have a leak if there was water pouring off your roof.

I did watch the roof with the solar system open and saw no visible signs of water. Is there a way to prime that system or purge the air myself?

With regards to a leak before the pump a minor leak it would still produce a proper flow but with lots of air. A big break in a suction line you wouldnt be able to achieve prime from your pump to run the system & you might even pull in some dirt.

Aside from one or two air bubbles in the pump housing, the housing itself fills with water when the pump is running. The water appears clear and flowing smoothly. If I had a catastrophic failure on a vac line as I believe you were describing below, the water inside the pump housing would be a lot more volatile, and probably not as full, right?

Thanks for the response. I'm scrambling to absorb knowledge on these things.

spa guru has offered some priceless advice. I know nothing about the solar panels. However your pump is my specialty (if there is such a thing). Water coming from your jets is good. But is it the right amount? who knows? Like spa guru said, start with your $5.00 gauge, add a suction gauge to the pump strainer basket. It's easy, the drain (for winterizing) is the same as the threads on a vaccuum gauge. I immediately jump to your diffuser, and wear ring, they are infront of your impeller. But you sound knowledgeable and I assume you have checked them. Good luck, you've come to the right place.

your pressure going up when you turn the solar on is normal . your pushing the water up to the roof and through solar panels . as far as why such a low starting pressure if the pump sounds loud like its cavitating it could have a clogged impellor low pressure indicates a restriction does the pump basket have any cracks in it ? or it could be just a bad pressure gauge

Since we touched on the low pressure, I thought I'd let you all know that I figured it out. Like Jughead mentioned, my pump basket was cracked. I actually picked up a new one yesterday morning and was able to install it last night. Once I got the old basket out, I stuck my hand into the port that goes to the impeller.(with circuit breaker off) What I pulled out seemed to be a left over prop from Gremlins.(There's a fun pic below, but I wouldnt view it while eating) I put the new basket in and fired her up. The system now runs at about 8-9 PSI. Does this sounds normal for a cartridge filter?(Pentair Clean and Clear). The automatic cleaner actually moves, and the main drain seems to be pulling in more debris when I brush the pool.

As for the solar panels, I saw mention of the fact I was pushing water up the side of the house while searching the forums after I posted this. Since it was mentioned here as well, I'd imagine the rise should be expected and feel much better about it. Makes sense when you think about it. Now I just need to source my air leak, or see if I can purge it from the system on the roof.

Cracked Basket

IMG_1857.jpg

The Mystery Mass (I dont have big hands, but it's almost the same size)

IMG_1858.jpg

Thanks again.

-Craig

Since we touched on the low pressure, I thought I'd let you all know that I figured it out. Like Jughead mentioned, my pump basket was cracked.

Thanks for reporting back on the solution to your problem... now I know what can crawl through a small crack in the filter basket. Yech!ohmy.gif