Trouble With Hot Spring Classic (Model F)

Jay P

We recently acquired a 1998 (I think) Hot Springs Portable Spa Classic (Model F) with a home that we purchased. We were told that it worked. With winter over we cleaned it up and tried it out. We filled it up with water and tried the jets out and though they cut out a few times, after a few tries they stayed on for 10-15 minutes before we turned them off and set the water temp for 100 degrees and went inside. I went out to check on it about an hour later or so and noticed that the hot tub now had no power to it. I unplugged the cord several times and plugged it back in again but can not getting any power on the hot tub. The outlet has power as I tested some other items, but no matter what I try I can not get anything on the hot tub to power up.

I am not sure what the problem is and the owner's manual is not very helpful. Like I said everything seemed to be working just fine - except the heater which I did not have enough time to tell if it was working.

Has anybody had something similar happen to them. Or does anyone have any suggestions as to why this might have happened? Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks in advance for your responses.

We recently acquired a 1998 (I think) Hot Springs Portable Spa Classic (Model F) with a home that we purchased. We were told that it worked. With winter over we cleaned it up and tried it out. We filled it up with water and tried the jets out and though they cut out a few times, after a few tries they stayed on for 10-15 minutes before we turned them off and set the water temp for 100 degrees and went inside. I went out to check on it about an hour later or so and noticed that the hot tub now had no power to it. I unplugged the cord several times and plugged it back in again but can not getting any power on the hot tub. The outlet has power as I tested some other items, but no matter what I try I can not get anything on the hot tub to power up.

I am not sure what the problem is and the owner's manual is not very helpful. Like I said everything seemed to be working just fine - except the heater which I did not have enough time to tell if it was working.

Has anybody had something similar happen to them. Or does anyone have any suggestions as to why this might have happened? Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Most likely guess is that the heater is grounded and causing the gfi on the plug to trip. You would need to check the heater with a multimeter or disconnect it to see if the problem goes away.

• 2 months later...

Most likely guess is that the heater is grounded and causing the gfi on the plug to trip. You would need to check the heater with a multimeter or disconnect it to see if the problem goes away.

We're having an issue with the same exact model, except that our GFI and outlet are working, but NO tub function works at all, including light and jets...

The 1998 Classic should have a power light ON THE SPA by the Jet controls. When you reset the plugin, does this light come on (or even blink?) If the light does not come on at all, or does not blink, then there is a literal power issue. It could be that it's simply not getting power (due to failure in the outlet, GFCI plugin, etc). It could also be an indication of a ground fault interrupt resetting the plugin as Dan suggested.

1) If you simply press the "Reset" button on the GFCI plug end, does it click or reset?

2) If you press the "Test" button on the GFCI plug end, does it click or reset?

- These two can help us determine if the GFCI plug end is bad, or if it's being tripped off by the spa.

3) If the power light on the spa comes on, or blinks, then it is getting power. At this point, you'll want to start troubleshooting internal issues (usually the spa shutting down due to no circ pump action, or a heater high temp trip (can also be no circ pump action)).

EDIT: Just realized this is an OLD thread.