Multi-Function Valve Stuck On Filter (Brand New)

The other day I got my multi function valve stuck on backwash. I took it apart, cleaned it out and replaced it with a new handle assembly. Before I turned the pump back on it switched between functions easily. After turning the pump back on it immediately was more difficult to change functions and less than 15 minutes later the handle was stuck in position. I took it apart again, cleaned out the inside (there was small amounts of sand under the assembly but nothing else). I put the handle assembly back in and the same thing occurred.

Is it the sand that is causing the valve to get stuck?

Should there be ABSOLUTELY NO sand in the area where the multi function valve is?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated...right now I can't backwash my filter... it's stuck on filter unless I disassemble it AGAIN!

I assume you mean a push pull valve and not a multi-port valve? Sand should not interferre, much! If it is a push pull go to your local pool store and buy a bottle of dynamic lube, it will be very small, clear bottle with a black lid made by pentair. Very expensive too, a little bit goes a long ways! It sounds to me like you are using lube on it, however it is likely silicon based, red labeling, or teflon based, blue labeling. Regardless both of these are dynamic lubes, great for static orings like your filter oring or pump orings, but absolutely worthless in dynamic (moving) operations! If you have used one of these, remove anything you have put them on and clean them with simple green and a lint free rag!

You should never attempt to move the valve when the pump is running. A small amount of sand in the valve will not normally be an issue, but could be accumulating if you're moving the valve while water is flowing. Always turn the pump off first. If you do move the valve while the pump is running, you can cause the valve gasket to be damaged. Other parts could also be damaged.

The shaft of the valve key passes thru the valve cover and an o-ring is located at this point. The only way the valve could get stuck is if this o-ring swelled & caused binding between the valve shaft and the valve cover, or if a good amount of sand gets between the valve shaft & the valve cover. You can download a diagram and owner's manual for the valve at www.haywardnet.com. You probably have the SPO714 (top mounted) OR SPO715 (side mounted) valve. The valve's model number will be one of two places. 1. On the large label on the valve cover or 2. On a small label on the side of the valve.