Worms In Pool

Skidood

Attack of the worms! They seem to crawl out of the ground when the ground is saturated with water. Only problem is they tend to fall in the pool and die leaving a stain on white plaster. I remember cleaning some swimming pools here in Dallas and when I was done there was a pump basket full of worms from vacuuming that looked like raw hamburger meat.

Some shock will usually take the stains off from dead worms that have been laying on the bottom. Its good to pre-dissolve the shock in a bucket and then add it to the pool.

Get used to it! Walk outside after a heavy rain - you'll see worms all over your pool deck - and every driveway and sidewalk in your neighborhood/subdivision, as well. I have a safety (mesh) cover but expect they can infiltrate a solid cover, as well. When I peeled the cover back last spring, the water was clear enough to see a multitude of dead earthworms on the bottom. The stains should are primarily organic, and should disappear faster than stains caused by, e.g. leaves (tannins), and should disappear within a few days after opening.

sprinkling some DE around the perimeter of your pool deck will keep worms from getting to the pool. they don't like the DE. it scratches and kills them. poor worms.

Sounds like a plan... but I wonder what happens to that DE when you hose down the deck? In my yard it would go to the street drain (connects directly to river inlet) -- against regulations in this area. (Northern California)

sprinkling some DE around the perimeter of your pool deck will keep worms from getting to the pool. they don't like the DE. it scratches and kills them. poor worms.

I've always heard it kill grubs. Guess it could cut up worms too or any bug that crosses over some D.E.

DE can help, but it's not the same DE that you use in your filter. Diatomaceous earth,in an unrefined state, is available at many nurseries, home & garden centers and does make a good pesticide for fleas, ticks, and many other insects, but is not the same as the DE you use in your filter. It may well work on the worms as well. It's a natural substance & has no negative effect on the environment. Chickens, or "yard birds" work well also. You can also keep the worms for catching the lovely bass in the pics above.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

If you are impatient, I found that putting shock granules in a paint strainer bag, tying a string around the bag and letting it sit on top of the stain wand dissolve with the pump off (so it doesn't disburse) will help expedite the removal of the stain.

As another poster said, the stains will diminish over time, but letting shock dissolve directly on the stain helps

WARNING: You have to be very careful with shock granules and don't dip it in and out of the water or get it on your skin. Nasty stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Changing the water would be the best solution to remove worm from pool water. You should be extra sure about filter cartridge (If you are using in your swimming) check it is working properly or not. Use some pool equipment like catfish, pool robot to remove remains dirt from the pool.