Used Hot Springs Sovereign?

We're in the market for our first hot tub for use here in Northern California.

Family of 5 short folks. (All under 5'6") I suspect that after the novelty runs out the spa will be used mostly by my wife and me, and probably daily.

I'm not real interested in putting out a bunch of cash for our first tub. I like the idea of letting someone else take the depreciation and buying a product that has a good reputation, instead of a unit such as the Costco Evolution series which may be priced right, but might not have the reputation for reliability and quality (full foam) construction that say...Hot Springs may.

We also hope to run the unit at 115v. Running 230v 50' seems a pretty hefty price tag, and I can buy a lot of KWH'rs with the difference. The Hot Springs folks seem to indicate no major difference in cost between the two due to their efficiencies, we'd just have to contend with a slight temp drop while in use as the jets and heater don't work simultaneously.

I'm considering a used 2005 Sovereign, with cover + lift, & steps, fully tested and warranted for a year. Delivered price @ $3,500.00, and unit looks brand new. To me this seems a much better value than some of the entry level units out there, especially those not fully foamed. Hot Springs seems to have the best reviews everywhere I look, and overall the purchase fits my needs, as far as I can tell.

Is there anything else that I should consider?

Great forum BTW.... This is my first post (newbie here) but I've lurked in the shadows and utilized the info for my research extensively. A lot of smart folks here!

Thanks in advance for feedback....

Family of 5 short folks. (All under 5'6") I suspect that after the novelty runs out the spa will be used mostly by my wife and me, and probably daily.

I'm not real interested in putting out a bunch of cash for our first tub. I like the idea of letting someone else take the depreciation and buying a product that has a good reputation, instead of a unit such as the Costco Evolution series which may be priced right, but might not have the reputation for reliability and quality (full foam) construction that say...Hot Springs may.

We also hope to run the unit at 115v. Running 230v 50' seems a pretty hefty price tag, and I can buy a lot of KWH'rs with the difference. The Hot Springs folks seem to indicate no major difference in cost between the two due to their efficiencies, we'd just have to contend with a slight temp drop while in use as the jets and heater don't work simultaneously.

I'm considering a used 2005 Sovereign, with cover + lift, & steps, fully tested and warranted for a year. Delivered price @ $3,500.00, and unit looks brand new. To me this seems a much better value than some of the entry level units out there, especially those not fully foamed. Hot Springs seems to have the best reviews everywhere I look, and overall the purchase fits my needs, as far as I can tell.

Great forum BTW.... This is my first post (newbie here) but I've lurked in the shadows and utilized the info for my research extensively. A lot of smart folks here!

For the electric run if it going to 50 feet you may or may not have a problem with undervoltage. That is with the run being far away and using a 15 amp device on it could make the hot tub act if there were something wrong. caused by what is called voltage drop. That is something a electrcian could check out for you. If you have a newer house I would think should be ok. DO NOT USE A EXSTENSION CORD

For the electric run if it going to 50 feet you may or may not have a problem with undervoltage. That is with the run being far away and using a 15 amp device on it could make the hot tub act if there were something wrong. caused by what is called voltage drop. That is something a electrcian could check out for you. If you have a newer house I would think should be ok. DO NOT USE A EXSTENSION CORD

The long electric run is required only if we run 230v, and after thinking about it again, it's more like a 75 ft. run. If I run 115v, there's an outlet right next to where we'll place the tub.

The long electric run is required only if we run 230v, and after thinking about it again, it's more like a 75 ft. run. If I run 115v, there's an outlet right next to where we'll place the tub.

Sounds like a good buy. Make sure you have a 20 amp. dedicated circuit.

Just because there's a 110v outlet there, doesn't mean it can be used for the spa. By code it needs to be a "dedicated" outlet, meaning there's absolutely nothing else, other lights of outlets, on the circuit.

Aren't 110v and quality hot tub mutually exclusive?

And $3500 sounds high for a 5 year old tub, what do you figure the 1 year warranty is worth? Seems to be priced in at $1000 to $1500. Then again similar tubs on Craigslist carry a certain amount of risk. The risk avoidance premium might just be worth it for you.

DK117

Thanks for all the feedback. We purchased the tub @ $4000 OTD delivered & set up, with new cover & lifter, steps, chemicals, etc. The tub looks absolutely brand new. Showroom shine sorta stuff, so I figured we'd end the search and call it good.

I realize there's always another deal out there at better pricing. This purchase met my value benchmarks, so I'm good with it. Besides...I scored 1/2 point with the wife for buying her a tub, and that's always worth a few bucks. (Everything is worth 1/2 point ya know, + & -)

We'll probably operate the tub on the existing 115v GFI circuit which is not dedicated until I can address that issue and install a dedicated circuit. The experts here can let me know how foolish or risky that might be.

Aren't 110v and quality hot tub mutually exclusive?

DK117

No

care to elaborate?

There's no relevance between quality of a spa and the voltage it operates off.. It's like comparing apples to astroids.

hmm, ok my impression of a 110v tub is a smaller even blow up tub. So your statement is probably correct, however there do seem to be limits on the 110v service. I found this to be a useful resource

http://hubpages.com/hub/110_Volt_Hot_Tub

So my question to elaborate ... are there many D1's Arctics etc that use 110v? In my rather quick investigation into the market last year, I didn't once see or look at a 110v tub.

Just curious, doesn't matter either way, but my consumer impression is that 110v equates lesser quality, and if that really means lesser functionality or reduced performance, then so be it.

DK117

ahhhhh, you do realize that page is an ad for Dreamaker Spas (as well as making money from the Google and Kontera ads)?

Additionally, no where do they talk about quality vs voltage.

How is a smaller spa lessor value than a larger spa? Is a BMW Z4 or a Tesla lessor quality than a Ford van?

Perhaps the confusion here is the word "quality". "Lesser functionality" or "reduced performance" has nothing to do with quality. I equate quality to "fit and finish", durability, dependability and life span. Bells and whistles have nothing to do with it.

A 110v spa fills a need. Some people don't want the expense of running a large 220v circuit.... I'm looking at a "distressed foreclosure" down the street form me that doesn't EVEN have 220v running into it.

I've engaged in enough of these forums to know when to keep my mouth shut....(most of the time :-) At the risk of being slammed by the experts here, I'll add my two cents to the direction this is going:

110v spas do fill a need. There are people (like me) who want to get into a tub as a first step without breaking the bank. This may not make any dealers who make their living selling spas happy, but it will allow me to test the waters...so to speak... while mitigating the financial effects should I decide tubing isn't for me after all.

The spa I purchased will run @ 110v and 230v. Does the fact that it will also run @ 230v automatically qualify it for higher quality status? Probably not, nor should a rating at 110v only position a spa as low end.

There are many people here smarter than I when it comes to spas, with much more experience. I would bow to their expertise any day, except when it comes to my decision to fill the particular need that I have, given my available funds at time of purchase. (Or at least my established ceiling for expense) This makes the establishment of quality somewhat subjective.

Knowing that I would first attempt to operate at 110v I wanted an efficient spa, well insulated, with a reputation for longevity, at least as for as I could determine given the tools available. (Sales pitches and internet forums/reviews, mostly) I'll bet there are other choices I could have made for a manufacturer of a 110v tub @ the $4k price point, but Hot Springs kept coming up as a quality product, and the opportunity to purchase used presented itself.

It was sort of like buying insurance, in that I hoped for as much reliability based mostly on reputation and research that I could buy with the funds available. I hope that I've accomplished that.

ahhhhh, you do realize that page is an ad for Dreamaker Spas (as well as making money from the Google and Kontera ads)?

How is a smaller spa lessor value than a larger spa? Is a BMW Z4 or a Tesla lessor quality than a Ford van?

Perhaps the confusion here is the word "quality". "Lesser functionality" or "reduced performance" has nothing to do with quality. I equate quality to "fit and finish", durability, dependability and life span. Bells and whistles have nothing to do with it.

A 110v spa fills a need. Some people don't want the expense of running a large 220v circuit.... I'm looking at a "distressed foreclosure" down the street form me that doesn't EVEN have 220v running into it.

Dr. Spa, I'm pretty sure I've acknowledged that I don't know **** about spas. That link was simply the first in a long line of 110v vs 220v links on Google.com. But if you want to call a 110v spa, with lesser fundtionality and reduced performance quality, that's up to you. If you want to talk investment real estate, I'll go toe to toe with anyone here. We all need an income source to afford this luxury of hot tubbing right?

ProPerDoper I bought a $4.7K Costco hot tub, I get the toe dipping financials of entering the hot tub world. My decision was different than yours no better no worse, good luck.

DK117

Dr. Spa, I'm pretty sure I've acknowledged that I don't know **** about spas. That link was simply the first in a long line of 110v vs 220v links on Google.com. But if you want to call a 110v spa, with lesser fundtionality and reduced performance quality, that's up to you. If you want to talk investment real estate, I'll go toe to toe with anyone here. We all need an income source to afford this luxury of hot tubbing right?

ProPerDoper I bought a $4.7K Costco hot tub, I get the toe dipping financials of entering the hot tub world. My decision was different than yours no better no worse, good luck.

DK117

I seriously considered the Evolution Palm Beach product by Costco. The price point is very tempting, currently at $5k, up from $4.3k on sale recently. The Costco spas seemed to generate some of the longest threads on this forum. Lots of discussion about really great construction with some happy owners.

We had many spa salesmen degrade the Costco product, likely because they couldn't complete with the price point. They did however, offer some tangible examples of construction differences that caught my ear too.

It would seem that given the electrical and mechanical components that go into a spa, as well as the frame, base, and shell construction it would be easier to determine and quantify quality construction and reliability. I found this not to be the case. In the end, I suspect that I took the easy path and went with a well known product name, along with the recommendation of two spa maintenance people who had worked on many brands over a 20+ year time span. Let's hook up in 10 years and discuss results. :D

Change of plans:

Turns out my tub only operates @ 230v, as it appears that it was ordered with an upgraded pump system. Spa company is providing the sub-panel with 2 GFI breakers and wiring from the sub-panel to the spa at no cost to me. I'll just have to purchase the materials from the breaker panel to the sub-panel, and hire out the electrical install. (I thought about doing the electrical myself, but time is a rare commodity right now)

In the end, the 230v install should provide a better performing tub, so after I get over the pain of the added expense I suspect that we'll be much more satisfied.