New Circulation Pump Overheating

Kenr

I recently replaced my circulation pump because the seal went bad and it was leaking water. I got the new pump in and started it up but I noticed the motor seemed to be getting pretty hot. A short while later the pump shut down (overheat protection I assume).

Any suggestions, on what can be wrong? The hookup seemed pretty straight forward but I guess I got something wrong.

I recently replaced my circulation pump because the seal went bad and it was leaking water. I got the new pump in and started it up but I noticed the motor seemed to be getting pretty hot. A short while later the pump shut down (overheat protection I assume).

Any suggestions, on what can be wrong? The hookup seemed pretty straight forward but I guess I got something wrong.

I know very little about spa packs specifically....but what I do know is if your voltage is lower than it should be all your equipment will be running at a higher temperature.

There are at least acouple of things that could cause a circulation pump to run hotter than the spec.

1. Running at higher voltage than specification

2. Dirty Filter

3. Obstruction in the lines to the circ pump

I would double check the pump voltage, since you just replaced it.

I'll have to check the wiring again I guess.

Unfortunately it's buried behind the control unit so I have to pull the pump out to check the wiring at the pump itself. Maybe I reversed neutral/hot?

I double checked to make sure valves were open and water seemed to running fine. It has a brand new filter (spring drain and clean was the final straw for the seal).

Another question. I had to rotate the pump end which involved taking out the 4 long bolts through the motor, rotate and put bolts in. I can't imagine messing that up but can the bolts be overtightened or anything to bind the motor? Although I don't think I tightened them that much.

On an additional note the motor overheats and shuts down in about 10 minutes.

TIA

you might use a mirror to look at the ratings tag, sounds like you voltage on pump is different then before, meaning 110 instead of 220 or vise versa....

Grrr...

I checked the pump when I got it and can see the tag in the spa and it's 115v which is the listed part for the spa but looking at the old pump it's a 230v. I have no idea of why they list the wrong part in the manual nor why they sent me a 115v when I ordered the part for this spa from the manufacturer.

But at least I know what is going on. Thanks

I guess I can look into wiring it 115v or ship it back and be down another week :(

Prove the company erred. They should pay for return of the pump and FEDEX Red overnight a new pump as you so properly ordered.

you might use a mirror to look at the ratings tag, sounds like you voltage on pump is different then before, meaning 110 instead of 220 or vise versa....

Grrr...

I checked the pump when I got it and can see the tag in the spa and it's 115v which is the listed part for the spa but looking at the old pump it's a 230v. I have no idea of why they list the wrong part in the manual nor why they sent me a 115v when I ordered the part for this spa from the manufacturer.

But at least I know what is going on. Thanks

I guess I can look into wiring it 115v or ship it back and be down another week :(

It turns out that the control panel easily switches between 115v and 230v motors. I just moved one wire and everything is good now.

Still pretty annoying that they don't know what pump they put in their own spa. I know better than to trust the people I order from I should of checked the old pump myself.

It turns out that the control panel easily switches between 115v and 230v motors. I just moved one wire and everything is good now.

Still pretty annoying that they don't know what pump they put in their own spa. I know better than to trust the people I order from I should of checked the old pump myself.

Could have superseded. If so....they should have had the bulletin in the package.

Secondarily, it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the right parts, and to check fitment prior to buttoning up a job. (including voltage)