$10995 Cdn For A 2010 Sundance Optima 880?

They say the price is non-negotiable.

+ $1,295 for the stereo

+ $100 for the coverlifter upgrade (to Covermate III from Covermate I)

Is this reasonable.

I am turned off by the 'non-negotiable' statement :angry:

I'm able to pay cash, no financing.

With the 2 upgrades - I'd like the coverlifter upgrade for FREE obviously and some sort of discount on the stereo option or tub.

What's reasonable?

What do other people pay for the same tub?

Is Sundance REALLY non-negotiable - I have a hard time believing that?

How far does anyone think they'll come down if at all?

Please help.

+ $1,295 for the stereo

Is this reasonable.

With the 2 upgrades - I'd like the coverlifter upgrade for FREE obviously and some sort of discount on the stereo option or tub.

What's reasonable?

What do other people pay for the same tub?

Is Sundance REALLY non-negotiable - I have a hard time believing that?

How far does anyone think they'll come down if at all?

Please help.

Sounds like its time to find some one else to negotiate with!!!!

If they are like that before the sale..... I cant imagine how they would be if there is any problems later!

Just my .02

...however, at the same time, they may be a dealer that simply does not like to "play the game", and as such have given you their rock bottom price. What's worse, a dealer that is willing to tell you his absolute rock-bottom selling price, or one that artificially and significantly inflates their price, and the actual price you will pay depends on your negotiating skills? Believe me, everyone likes to think they are great wheeler-dealers, but I negotiate for a living, and most people who think they are good at negotiating have absolutely no clue.

I would suggest you do your homework and see what kind of a deal this offer really is. This is less than my Maxxus 880 cost me, but the Maxxus is a larger tub. If it is decent price for this tub, and the dealer has a good reputation, then I say go for it.

+ $1,295 for the stereo

Is this reasonable.

The dealer saying it is non-negotiable is their choice but you don't have to blindly accept that. You both have a say on whether the deal will happen. If this is truly the spa you want I know I would absolutely make what I thought was a reasonable counter offer. If you can pay with cash/check there is nothing wrong with saying "I can't go that much but I'll write you a check for $X,XXX right now". If they said no you can either accept their firm offer or give them your number and say "I understand but that's my best offer and I will need to look elsewhere now, here is my ph# if you change your mind". Poker 101 and you can always go back and accept later anyway.

...however, at the same time, they may be a dealer that simply does not like to "play the game", and as such have given you their rock bottom price. What's worse, a dealer that is willing to tell you his absolute rock-bottom selling price, or one that artificially and significantly inflates their price, and the actual price you will pay depends on your negotiating skills?

And I have worked with a dealer that did just that. He put firm prices on there; everyone got the same deal and it was fair overall. Not everyone likes it, depends on whether you wanted to haggle. You could try but you'd get almost no where with him, maybe $100 store credit or something. At the same time people tried and why not, you have nothing to lose but the only way to know if the "firm" price is truly firm is to make an equally firm yet polite counter offer and see what the dealer says.

I was in the same situation. And it was a good one :)

It really comes down to what kind of deal is being offered. If you are getting a great price then no need to "negotiate".

For me I got a great price-- at the time I was not sure, so I put down a refundable deposit, did my research on this forum to see if it was a good deal ( for me I seemed to have gotten the best price for the model of the spa that has been discussed on this forum - going back 5 yrs ago !)-- then pulled the trigger.

This way you have nothing to loose -- if you find out the deal is not sweet - then get the refund.--- Maybe then they would negotiate.

Ken

I recently purchased a 2009 Sundance Optima. I researched extensively and did a lot of negotiating with various dealers before I settled on a final price. I did not get the stereo option, but I DID get the spa cover (naturally), Covermate III cover lifter, synthetic steps, light system, SunZone CD ozone generator, SunScents aroma therapy cartridge (just to check it out), Sun Purity (Mineral Spa Purifier) (Nature2's product specifically designed for Sundance), chrome jet covers (I don't recall whether this was "standard" or "optional" on this model, but I made sure they were part of the deal), the color combination I wanted, plus start-up chemicals, delivery and set-up, which included installation of the Covermate III cover lifter. My total before taxes was more than 1K less than your non-negotiable price. I also paid cash for the purchase. I'm not suggesting that I got the best deal in the world for a brand new Sundance Optima (from the factory...not a floor model), but I felt I got a good deal for the tub I bought.

I know the 2010 is a new model, however, I also checked with Sundance to check out the differences between the 2010 model and the 2009 model of the Sundance Optima. There was no significant difference in the new model year. I don't think the differences would account for the difference in the price. Therefore, I'm not sure you're getting the best deal on this tub...but then again, each area of the country is different and perhaps operating costs and rents may be higher where you are than where I am in the Midwest.

As others have suggested, though....just because the dealer said the price is non-negotiable doesn't necessarily mean the dealer will not negotiate. I've negotiated with many salesmen/women who said their "rock bottom" price was non-negotiable. If the dealer KNOWS your genuinely serious about buying a spa AND you demonstrate you are willing to walk away from this dealer at his non-negotiable price, in this market with all businesses suffering from lower sales, I would not be surprised if he makes an "exception" for you and suddenly becomes willing to negotiate on the price rather than lose the sale. It's possible he will stand firm, but I would make the attempt to negotiate first. If he does stand firm, I'd suggest walking out the door. But before you do, leave him your card and tell the dealer to give you a call when he's willing to negotiate. Unless, he's selling spas like hot cakes, I'd bet 1) you don't get out the door or 2) he calls you back within a week.

Good luck and happy tubbing. :D

Gman, are you in the United States? Location will be a factor in pricing.

Also, non-negotiable doesn't mean it's not a fair deal. To provide someone a large discount because he negotiated well and another a much lower discount because he didn't deosn't make much sense, I think this dealer is trying to be fair and equal to all of his clients.The prices I have heard are the exact same prices I was offered so if I were to purchase I know I'm getting the same deal as everyone else.

If the dealer doesn't make any money than he will either not be in business long or not be able to provide the service and support the product he sells

I recently purchased a 2009 Sundance Optima. I researched extensively and did a lot of negotiating with various dealers before I settled on a final price. I did not get the stereo option, but I DID get the spa cover (naturally), Covermate III cover lifter, synthetic steps, light system, SunZone CD ozone generator, SunScents aroma therapy cartridge (just to check it out), Sun Purity (Mineral Spa Purifier) (Nature2's product specifically designed for Sundance), chrome jet covers (I don't recall whether this was "standard" or "optional" on this model, but I made sure they were part of the deal), the color combination I wanted, plus start-up chemicals, delivery and set-up, which included installation of the Covermate III cover lifter. My total before taxes was more than 1K less than your non-negotiable price. I also paid cash for the purchase. I'm not suggesting that I got the best deal in the world for a brand new Sundance Optima (from the factory...not a floor model), but I felt I got a good deal for the tub I bought.

I know the 2010 is a new model, however, I also checked with Sundance to check out the differences between the 2010 model and the 2009 model of the Sundance Optima. There was no significant difference in the new model year. I don't think the differences would account for the difference in the price. Therefore, I'm not sure you're getting the best deal on this tub...but then again, each area of the country is different and perhaps operating costs and rents may be higher where you are than where I am in the Midwest.

As others have suggested, though....just because the dealer said the price is non-negotiable doesn't necessarily mean the dealer will not negotiate. I've negotiated with many salesmen/women who said their "rock bottom" price was non-negotiable. If the dealer KNOWS your genuinely serious about buying a spa AND you demonstrate you are willing to walk away from this dealer at his non-negotiable price, in this market with all businesses suffering from lower sales, I would not be surprised if he makes an "exception" for you and suddenly becomes willing to negotiate on the price rather than lose the sale. It's possible he will stand firm, but I would make the attempt to negotiate first. If he does stand firm, I'd suggest walking out the door. But before you do, leave him your card and tell the dealer to give you a call when he's willing to negotiate. Unless, he's selling spas like hot cakes, I'd bet 1) you don't get out the door or 2) he calls you back within a week.

Good luck and happy tubbing. :D

Hi JeffinWhitby,

I think the price they're offering is fair. I was shopping for a new Optima last summer and the best deal I could get was around $11,800. CDN (Winnipeg) plus $1295 for the JBL stereo. I ultimately went with Jacuzzi (no regrets) but the Optima was right up there for me too. It was a tough decision, but came down to me being more comfortable with the Jacuzzi dealer. Optima is a great tub....Buy it!!

Hi JeffinWhitby,

I think the price they're offering is fair. I was shopping for a new Optima last summer and the best deal I could get was around $11,800. CDN (Winnipeg) plus $1295 for the JBL stereo. I ultimately went with Jacuzzi (no regrets) but the Optima was right up there for me too. It was a tough decision, but came down to me being more comfortable with the Jacuzzi dealer. Optima is a great tub....Buy it!!

Hi JeffinWhitby

I too was shopping for a 2010 optima and was quoted 14000 out the door, tax in, Cover, Covermate III, Stairs, Start up chem, delivery, setup, but no stereo. I also ended up with the Jacuzzi J470. It should arrive at the end of april so I am looking forward to it!

Good luck

John in Victoria

Thanks all - makes sense.

GMan - yeah sounds like you are in the US, so that would likely account for the difference.

I agree - there are dealers who go to their floor at the outset, but I'm just trying to find out through this forum if that price is the lowend range for that spa.

I'm trying to find out what a GOOD price is LOL

The Wpg and Vic folks seem to have me thinking I am low end which is good.

I'll probably counter with a discount and say - if you can do this I'll do the deal right away :)

Cheers

• 11 months later...

Firemedic and Ruckus, that price you were quoted on the optima did that include taxes or was that extra? I am in a toss up between the optima and the j470. If the optima is only going to be $1000 less than the jacuzzi then I think i will go with the 470 hands down. I'll have to go back to the post but did that also include stereo?

Scubes

At that price , you do have lots of choice. Remember , Hot Tub sales are down 60 % from 2007-2008 .

You should be able to get a better deal. Charging a extra $100 for upgrade in cover lifter is "Mickey Mouse" at this price

Most dealers don't realize that it isn't only the initial sale , it is all the ongoing money that they would generate in referrals , chemicals , accesories etc....

If you don't have a steadsy stream of customers coming into your store ...you are out of business eventally

jeffinwhitby - It sounds like you have figured out that the price is pretty good and just becasue the dealer says it is non-negiable doesn't necessarily mean he is a bad guy or not being fair. Note the number of posts here that mention how someone bought a spa and a year or two later the dealer had gone out of business. Sounds like your price may be fair, but I suppose there is no harm in making a counter offer. Just don't be PO'd if they say "sorry no can do".

FWIW, I agree with bdubya200 on spa stereos. Personally I am not a fan and believe them to be overpriced and sub-par quality, but for full disclosure I must say that I spent more on my home theater speakers than I did on my hot tub. For us the spa is a place to get away from some of the daily constant electronic music. Occassionally we will set up music outsdie for a party, but we like to just sit and talk in the tub, even when the beverages are flowing.

Exactly. For the number of times Ill want to listen to tunes outside in the spa ( to where I wont have to crank it to hear it above the jets and bubbles without disturbing the neighbors, the deer, the moose, and the elk) will be mnimal...and 1300 bucks on something that the manufacturer doesnt even expect to last more than a year ( thats why its int he warranty that way)...scares me.