Sr400 Na Sta-rite Heater Problem

mpj1617

Hello I am new to this forum. I have been having a problem with my pool heater. The blower motor was staying on all the time even when the heater was shut off. The heater would not fire as it was throwing a code saying air flow problem. There was some debris down in exhaust tube from mice. That was cleaned out and I attempted to fire the heater. It started, but it only ran for a few minutes and the motor slowed down. I called Sta-Rite and they said the control module was bad. I replaced the control module and the blower motor started to spin again with out turning the heater on. I pushed the on button and the blower motor sped up and the heater fired. It stayed on for about five minutes and started to make a very loud bassy noise and started to smoke through the exhaust fluke. It appears to be having the same problem prior to changing the ignition module. Has anybody experienced this problem? Thank you for your time.

All I could really smell was a strong odor of mice urine. I quickly turned it off when I started to hear the bassy noise coming from the chamber. Sounded like a rocket getting ready to take off. I attempted to fire it one more time after that, but the motor will not get up to speed now. Thanks.

Did you happen to catch a whiff of the smoke? Did it smell of an electrical nature? Or did it smell like a animal? The flew would have had to have been open, for that to have happened though.

I believe I may of found the problem. It seems the blower motor is now bad. The noise I was hearing was because the blower motor is slowing down and the burner is still going. The chamber is not getting exhausted as the blower motor has slowed down. I talked to sta-rite and they said there is a relay in the 2004 and later motors that would cause the motor to run all the time. We will see if that fixes my problem.

I also felt the blower motor and it feels like it is getting really hot.

yah rats love these heaters because they dont get fried when they are fired up . the master temp is the same heater in a different body and seems to keep the big rats out a little better .im an animal lover but i would set traps or poison because they will keep coming back and chew up more wires and cause problems . other than rats liking them they are great heaters