Steam Cleaning Your Hot Tub?

Has anyone here ever steam cleaned their hot tub? If so what were the results. Would there be any reason not to? I'm curious because I'm interested in purchasing a steam cleaner and wondered if there were any draw backs to using one on your hot tub, and since it's just steam I figured it would be safe to use and actually a way of being more "green" in doing so.

It depends on how hot and what pressure the steam is.

Most "steam cleaners" I've seen are really high pressure hot washers. It is a pressure washer with a water heater, that heats the pressurized water to near boiling. I don't think it would be a good idea or necessary to clean a spa with something like that.

Dave

It depends on how hot and what pressure the steam is.

Most "steam cleaners" I've seen are really high pressure hot washers. It is a pressure washer with a water heater, that heats the pressurized water to near boiling. I don't think it would be a good idea or necessary to clean a spa with something like that.

Dave

+1

Has anyone here ever steam cleaned their hot tub? If so what were the results. Would there be any reason not to? I'm curious because I'm interested in purchasing a steam cleaner and wondered if there were any draw backs to using one on your hot tub, and since it's just steam I figured it would be safe to use and actually a way of being more "green" in doing so.

It's a bad idea.

The shell of your spa is most likely acrylic (possibly abs). On the backside there is likely a structural reinforcement which is commonly fiberglass with polyester resin. The structural backing material has a different coefficient of thermal expansion (i.e., the amount it expands and contacts with temperature) compared to the acrylic surface. Normlly, the fibnerglass reinforcement will result in the structural backing expanding and contracting LESS than the surface as the temperature changes, but in any case it's the difference that creates the problem.

Your steam cleaner will heat the surface to a much higher temperature than the structural reinforcement. The surface will try to expand, while the reinforcement, being both colder and in most cases more stable anyway, will resist the expansion. The result is that you will create stress at the layer between the surface and the reinforcing layers. The bond between them is iffy in the best case. It's likely that any problems you create won't show up for months or maybe longer.

Failures between the layers lead to blisters or delaminations, which in turn can result in cracks. If you have widespread delaminating, you may end up scrapping the shell, which means scrapping the spa.

I would just wipe it down real good, and use some Gel-Gloss (available at Home Depot) to get any grunge off. There's a polish called Fast Gloss that you can buy from Leisure Time if you want to be fanatical. Get water back in it as soon as possible. If you can't get water back in it immediately, at least cover the spa. Don't let your empty spa bake in the sun. The sun will heat the surface and may cause the same problems.

In one word: NO!

You say "steam cleaner". I'm wondering if you don't mean high pressure wash? In any case, I say keep this out of your tub!

WHATEVER you had in mind, don't buy a "steam cleaner," that is SO much 1950! (I have to check, Yes, you really said "'steam cleaner"!)

And so, charity leads me to think you must have meant a high pressure wash? This would not mean STEAM, but for all that why mess with with a high pressure cleaner in your tub? Is there dog and raccoon feces there? Have you been using it for a compost pile?

WHATEVER, I suggest you use 'Atomic Disfraction' (I hereby declare trademark on this obvious piece of baloney) Atomic Disfraction can do what other cleaners cannot.

The very first thing you try in your spa is Elgre Cleanser (also know as elbow grease), though we can sell you this too. ELGRE is a patented cleanser guaranteed to do something. Please apply with a scrub brush or pad and water. This can remove about any weird stuff in your tub. If this doesn't work, try harder. In any case, do not buy a "steam cleaner", better to invest your money in Treasury Bonds. or send a certified check to the address below.

OOPS! I now see that Hot water was answering at the same moment as I was. And so I defer to Hot water!

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work really well. If the tub is drained use the one with soap added, followed by rinsing, or simply use the 'original' (non soap) version to wipe around the water line when your tub is filled.

• 9 years later...