Dual Pumps - Are They Needed?

ejm4

One jet pump versus two pumps, without any further data, means absolutely nothing. Manufacturers usually size the jet pump according to the number of jets, and how much water flow each jet needs to provide a certain jet pressure/massage.

So, either the single jet pump spa has fewer jets, or has a larger jet pump. The Coleman, may have more jets, or simply two smaller jet pumps. There are too many factors such as plumbing design, jet design, etc to restrict a choice down to number of jet pumps.

In your case, I'd say you should think more about New versus Used, as that's a bigger deal than one pump versus two in my opinion.

I think it depends on how many people will usually use the spa. In my opinion a single pump makes great sense for a tub used mainly by two people. Many tubs will provide different jetting arrangments in other seats and some people like to move around to get different hydrotherapy. Some tubs provide water to the other seats by using a diverter valve to direct the flow from a single pump or by adding a second pump or both.

As Jerimaih points out, when you start adding more jets, you usually need more power in the form of bigger or more pumps. Don't be fooled by raw jet count. Most of the benefits of hydrotherapy are provided simply immersing one's self in hot water. Jets can direct pressure and provide massaging action target specifc muscles. Some high jet count tubs have identical layouts of numerous jets in multiple seats which makes no sense to me.

A single pump tub will generally be cheaper to buy, to operate and to maintain although the cost differences may not be huge. It will also be simpler to use, although all tubs are pretty easy to understand.

I looking to purchase a budget minded spa. My choices are either a Nordic w/ a single pump (new spa) or a used spa (Coleman - from dealer) with two pumps. Suggestions.

You didn't say much about the specific Coleman youre' looking at, but aren't Coleman and Nordic more or less substantially different styles of tubs? Lots of things to trade off there, in addition to the normal issues of new v. used, quality, style, comfort, etc. Nordics tend to have few jets, so even with one pump, the performance might be fine. You really can't tell anything without comparative testing.

But one v. two pumps is far from an unimportant question. I do find that my dual two-speed pumps is a great feature. Even with only two users in the spa, it's very nice for each user to be able to control a pump. My S.O. generally likes the jets on low the whole time, while I like them running full blast for a short time and then completely off. Fortunately her favorite seat is on a different pump than mine! Being able to get what you want while respecting the other person makes it all the more enjoyable for everyone.

Some spas have diverter valves that can also accomplish this with a single pump, at the expense of jet performance. In any case, as a shopper, the flexibility of control is something you might want to keep in mind.

I looking to purchase a budget minded spa. My choices are either a Nordic w/ a single pump (new spa) or a used spa (Coleman - from dealer) with two pumps. Suggestions.

FWIW - I would much rather have the ability to change things as I saw fit on a two pump system, rather than be stuck with one dual-speed or single speed pump. Someone else said their S.O. likes to run theirs on a single speed, and they like it full blast, and I've found that to be true with my wife and I also. If it's just you that is the primary user, it'll probably not be an issue.

I would also recommend that if you're purchasing a tub and you think you might sometime upgrade in the future, make sure you pull the electrical cable ahead of time for it. It's far cheaper to do it in one fell swoop than redoing it. Also take this into account with any decking you might be building.