Master Spa Eco Pur

clydesdale13

Thanks for the replies. I hesitated to mention actual costs, because I didn't want to piss anybody off on the board. But to show the difference, I'll talk price. If it's against the rules, I'm sure someone will correct me very quickly.

The Eco Pur filters from my dealer are somewhere around $70-75 each. (I'm going from memory, so don't hold these numbers hard and firm) I need two of them in my tub. I have seen them selling on ebay for about $45-50 each. So that's my first line of savings. Now, with the Pleatco, I've found them as low as $17 each online. So it's anywhere from a $60-120 savings, depending on where I buy them from. I know that you get what you pay for, and either Master Spa has a huge markup on filters, or the Pleatco's aren't quite as good, (I think it's a little of both) but that price difference is enough to intrique me about the Pleatco filters. I think I may try Brulan1's advice, and try the Pleatco. If they suck, I'm only out $35, and I can switch back to the Eco Pur.

Note: the prices I quoted are only for the internal Eco Pur filter. They do not include the large, outer filter.

Problem solved thread closed untill latest update on how well to your suprise the pleatco works. :wub: You'll love it!

You may save $60 on the filters, but take into account the extra chemicals you will need to use in order for your spa to stay clean. Also, the extra time involved in maintaining these extra chemicals has to be taken into consideration. I guess everybody values their time differently, but to me, it is worth a little extra money to have less maintenence to do...Good Luck!!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may save $60 on the filters, but take into account the extra chemicals you will need to use in order for your spa to stay clean. Also, the extra time involved in maintaining these extra chemicals has to be taken into consideration. I guess everybody values their time differently, but to me, it is worth a little extra money to have less maintenence to do...Good Luck!!

Okay Kreg. I'll bite. (besides, it's Friday, and this sure beats working ;) )

Here are the claims from Master Spa's website

From the MasterSpa website:

The Advantages of Mineral Purification

Destroys most bacteria, pathogens, algae and fungi

Removes heavy metals like lead and mercury from water

Removes calcium carbonate and hydrogen sulphide from spa water to protect heaters and equipment from precipitation

Helps stabilize the pH and alkalinity of the spa water

Reduces 95% of chemical usage and still provides safe odor-free water

Depletes excess chlorine after chemical shock to prevent damage to hair and swimwear

All-natural, environmentally safe sanitizing system that does not require chemical registration with the EPA

Produces ultra clean, clear water

Requires maintenance only after usage

Terminator

I am currently using the Eco Pur filters. I rarely have to adjust pH and alkilinity levels. I don't know about calcium carbonate, hydrogen sulphide, and other gunk that may hurt my plumbing. I don't listen to Heavy Metal (except for Black Sabbath, they rock!) I put in Protect Plus weekly to protect the plumbing. I use a Clarifier weekly to help keep the water clear. My local dealer also tells me to dump in some non-chlorine shock after every use of the spa. (This is instead of using Chlorine) My local Master Spa dealer says that I don't need to use chlorine except to shock the tub every couple of weeks, but whenever I've tried that, I seem to get funky smelling water, or some algae growing after a week or so. So instead, I now try to keep my chlorine levels at around 1 ppm. To do this, I have to add some dichlor every few days (since I found out that my great idea of using trichlor in a floater was going to ruin my tub). I also throw in a bottle of The Natural with every water change (currently every 6 months).

So anyway, if I switch to the Pleatco, what chemical usage of mine will increase? Will it be more difficult to maintain pH levels? Will I need to use more clarifier, protect plus, natural, or other chemicals? Will I need to change my water more often?

I know that you've said that there are major differences between the Eco Pur and the Pleatco, but what are they? I really don't know, and want to know. Does the Eco Pur have some features that make it far superior to the Pleatco filters? I'm not trying to be a dink, or start a pissing contest, (especially around my hot tub) I'm just trying to better understand what I should and should not be doing with my hot tub chemicals.

The difference in chemical usage will be minimal. Don't EVER believe it when people say you can go without chlorine (or bromine) is you use “such and such”, it never works and all that happens is you've already bought their product and then you end up using the chlorine anyway.

These Eco Pur filters may HELP you with water care but they will save little in chemical costs and the difference will not pay for itself but maybe that difference will matter to you. I don't know if Kreg actually believes what he is saying or if he's just repeating the sales routine for that product but it's no different than what some sales people try to say to sell Nature 2. While it definitely works it does NOT pay for itself in less chems and you can NOT skip the sanitizer.

The difference in chemical usage will be minimal. Don't EVER believe it when people say you can go without chlorine (or bromine) is you use “such and such”, it never works and all that happens is you've already bought their product and then you end up using the chlorine anyway.

These Eco Pur filters may HELP you with water care but they will save little in chemical costs and the difference will not pay for itself but maybe that difference will matter to you. I don't know if Kreg actually believes what he is saying or if he's just repeating the sales routine for that product but it's no different than what some sales people try to say to sell Nature 2. While it definitely works it does NOT pay for itself in less chems and you can NOT skip the sanitizer.

Please see my"wikipedia" post. Minerals are used as sanitizers in many industries, not just the spa industry. People that say otherwise are brainwashed or just uneducated on the matter. My company has thousands of customers that use Eco-Pur, my spa uses Eco Pur, so I know how it works from first hand experience. How many people on this board that are giving their opinion have even seen or used a spa that uses Eco Pur? My guess?...myself and the customer that originally started this post. Unfortuneatly, it is commonplace in this business to slam anything that your spa company doesn't offer.

Unfortuneatly, it is commonplace in this business to slam anything that your spa company doesn't offer.

Like rebates, perhaps?

Terminator

What are you talking about? In case you haven't noticed, we're talking about the Eco Pur system. Maybe that Texas heat is getting to your head?? :lol:

What are you talking about?

It's a satirical reference to the rebate vouchers offered by Master Spas a couple of years ago. Many people considered them a scam and they ran into legal difficulties in most states. Search for "Voucher" and "Scam" or "Consumers Trust" on the forum to see some discussions.

Please see my"wikipedia" post. Minerals are used as sanitizers in many industries, not just the spa industry. People that say otherwise are brainwashed or just uneducated on the matter. My company has thousands of customers that use Eco-Pur, my spa uses Eco Pur, so I know how it works from first hand experience. How many people on this board that are giving their opinion have even seen or used a spa that uses Eco Pur? My guess?...myself and the customer that originally started this post. Unfortuneatly, it is commonplace in this business to slam anything that your spa company doesn't offer.

The mineral idea is great as an aide to the chlorine, I’m a believer too. Just don't sell me on the idea I can go chlorine free because I know better. Anyone who tries to skip chlorine will only run into issues and have to add the chlorine back in because these special filters or anything else having to do with minerals will not do it all, it is an AIDE.

IMO this has nothing to do with Master’s credibility in the industry (rebates, corporate spa shows that falsely advertise as multi-manufacturer shows, questionable quality or whatever). Others have tried to make claims of systems to eliminate chlorine too and those of us with experience roll our eyes at them as well.

The problem is when you try to convince people the extra money spent will be recouped on chemical reduction. That just never adds up. Why not sell it for what it is, an aid to water care. Those who want some piece of mind that it will help them care for their water and lessen the issues seen in water maintenance will see the value in it.

The mineral idea is great as an aide to the chlorine, I’m a believer too. Just don't sell me on the idea I can go chlorine free because I know better. Anyone who tries to skip chlorine will only run into issues and have to add the chlorine back in because these special filters or anything else having to do with minerals will not do it all, it is an AIDE.

IMO this has nothing to do with Master’s credibility in the industry (rebates, corporate spa shows that falsely advertise as multi-manufacturer shows, questionable quality or whatever). Others have tried to make claims of systems to eliminate chlorine too and those of us with experience roll our eyes at them as well.

The problem is when you try to convince people the extra money spent will be recouped on chemical reduction. That just never adds up. Why not sell it for what it is, an aid to water care. Those who want some piece of mind that it will help them care for their water and lessen the issues seen in water maintenance will see the value in it.

Of course, there is no "chemical-free" spa. Nobody is saying that there is. In my experience, the Eco Pur is as close as it gets. It is certainly less expensive and easier to maintain then the Baqua Spa that most of you Hot Spring guys push. It's been a good debate, but I am growing tired of it! Maybe we should start a topic on how Baqua Spa eats light lenses or something!

• 3 months later...
bsck at it again, need more filters and wonder if anyone has figured an end around on master to get the eco filters with out the spa mark up.

I've been using the Pleatco filters since December, and so far so good. (see my earlier posts for the numbers) I haven't noticed an increase in chemical usage, and my water is still clear. HOWEVER, I am also maintaining a low amount of chlorine at all times. (around 1 ppm or so). The chlorine might be the reason why my water is staying clear. I know some folks run the eco pur filters with no chlorine. So your results may vary.

I did find Eco Pur filters in ebay for much less than my local dealer. That is another way to save money on the eco pur.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I thought I had posted this here before, The best deal I could find was here:

https://www.leisurehq.com/index.php?cPath=7...810b588b57eed68

I needed spare outer filters and Depth filters so I ordered this combo which has been on sale for a while

https://www.leisurehq.com/product_info.php?...810b588b57eed68

My order was shipped promptly, the shipping was reasonable and it arrived in great shape just as advertised :)

When I run out of Eco Pur cartridges, I'll probably just run the regular filter or maybe try a micropur disposable.

Chris W

I saw your wikipedia post....

first, anyone can write or edit posts on wikipedia so it is NOT the voice of authority. Whoever wrote that has a very basic understanding of how metals (I prefer that term to the more 'granola-crunchy' term 'minerals' that marketing hype is so fond of using along with 'chemical free' because we are talking about copper, silver, and or zinc here! Last time I checked they were metals and chemicals, espcially when you look at the erosion type units that contain silver nitrate, copper sulfate, etc on either a slow release ceramic bead or a bed of slow dissolving calcium carbonate or 'limestone'!) act as bacteriostatic agents and as algaestatic agents. What they failed to mention is the CT values of these agents (In layman's terms the kill times.) Are they fast or slow acting. Well, metals have very slow kill times so for water purification in a closed system such as a water tank for drinking there can be a long enough contact time for santized water (which is where all of the hype about them comes from such as their being used by NASA, etc.) but in a spa there MUST be a fast acting residual sanitizer in the water to take care of such things as the urine and feces that every bather introduces, no matter how clean they think they are, a bird flying overhead and pooping in the water (it happens) etc. There are only 3 (count em, 3!) EPA approved sanitizers for pools and spas. They are chlorine, bromine, and biguanide. ALL OTHER PRODUCTS are supplimental and MUST be used with an EPA approved santizer if you want santized water. Some supplimental products like ozone have a proven track record and have merit. Some, like metals, are dubious at best (In Canada metal systems have to be sold as algaecides and not supplimental santizers and in Australia they have to be used with normal and not reduced santiizer levels). Some are pure snake oil (Enzyme products are somewhat useful at reducing orgainic load but are NOT sanitizers by any stretch of the imagination and if you believe that magnets or nascent oxygen have any effect on your water I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you along with some swamp land in the Everglades!).

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone I have been reading your posts and thought I would inform you about some changes coming to the way you can purchase Master Spa Eco Pur Filters.

I used to have a retail store where we sold those filters. After several years of a brick and mortar store we decided to move our store to the internet. We still sell the Outer Filters and the two piece flat filters. We do not sell the Eco Pur any more please read why by copying and pasting this link into your browser

http://www.spaandpooldepot.com/index.php?m...products_id=114

For your information I have a way to get around buying those overpriced Eco Pur (don't believe the hype) Filters.

Copy and Paste the link above and scroll to the bottom to find out how.

The stores that are still selling them online will soon have to stop cause the supply will run out. They are also cracking down on Ebay.

Master Spas as a company are crooks

They scam people with their Spa and Pool Shows. Then they don't service them or the dealer goes out of business because Master Spa does not pay the dealers the money owed for warranty work. I can go on and on . If you know anybody looking to buy a Master Spa please tell them not to......

• 2 months later...

You sound pretty bitter that Master Spas won't let you sell their filters. BUYER BE AWARE!!

The truth is that Eco Pur filters work very well. Save your money on aftermarket junk, save your money on the extra chemicals you will use with the aftermarket junk. Time is money, and extra maintenence is time you don't want to spend. If you think filters are expensive, walk into a Starbuck's one day! If you google eco pur you will find good deals on these filters.

• 4 weeks later...

QTY PRODUCT PRICE TOTAL

Master Spa, Down East Simple 1 Piece Replacement for Eco Pure System Diameter: 7 Length: 7-1/4 Top: Handle Bottom: 2 MPT SqFt: 35 - Replaces: Unicel: - Pleatco: - Filbur: FC-0418 AKA: 07-07100

$ 32.56 $ 65.12

Master Spa Flat Replacement Filter Cartridge, 8-1/2 x 16-1/2 FLAT - Replaces: Unicel: - Pleatco PMA50-2002-F, 17-175-1898, X298600, Filbur: FC-1004 AKA: 08-16100

$ 41.12 $ 41.12

Subtotal $ 106.24

Get FREE Standard Shipping on Orders Over $20 $ 0.00

TOTAL $ 106.24

I am ordering the above setup from spafilters.com for my masterspa. It includes two filters that replace the four filters I would normally use (all in one eco pur replacement) and the flat filter that goes above them. I know that I will have to keep a closer eye on my chemical levels, but for the same price that it would cost me for JUST the eco pur inserts, I have total coverage. I could actually order two sets, so I could rotate for cleaning, for less than the master spa dealer on Jackson Rd wants for one OEM setup.

I am going to give this a shot. I keep an eye on my levels religiously anyway, so what is the difference?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion! Seems to me you are robbing Peter to pay Paul, but that is your call. I prefer to sit in a spa that doesn't have all the chemical smell, but some folks don't mind. If you don't mind buying more chemicals and having the chemical odor, more power to you!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion! Seems to me you are robbing Peter to pay Paul, but that is your call. I prefer to sit in a spa that doesn't have all the chemical smell, but some folks don't mind. If you don't mind buying more chemicals and having the chemical odor, more power to you!

You can get a regular filter and use a Nature 2 cartridge, its the same thing.

It isn't the same thing. For one, Eco Pur filters last longer (6 months compared to 4 months.) For another, Nature2 contains just silver as the active ingredient, and Eco Pur contains other natural sanitizers as well. Thanks.

It isn't the same thing. For one, Eco Pur filters last longer (6 months compared to 4 months.) For another, Nature2 contains just silver as the active ingredient, and Eco Pur contains other natural sanitizers as well. Thanks.

I prefer to sit in a spa that doesn't have all the chemical smell, but some folks don't mind. If you don't mind buying more chemicals and having the chemical odor, more power to you!

Do we really need a "buy my product or you'll be sorry" warning? OK, let's agree that the Eco Pur lasts longer. You just buy three N2 cartridges per year versus two of the Eco Pure but since the N2s are cheaper its about a wash either way. The advantage is this way you can use a standard filter and still avoid that terrible chemical odor you caution people about.

Please don't tell us the Eco Pur is effective and the Nature 2 isn't. They're both viable and will help people avoid the "gloom and doom" warning!!