Master Spa Eco Pur

clydesdale13

I dont think anyone here stated the pleatco filters are sanitizers and I dont believe in microban. I think more people would have problems listening to you tell them they dont need bromine or chlorine in the tub and that your filters do it all. Do you recommend that your customers shock their tub?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took me a minute.. and running out to get a hair cut.

Eco Pur is NOT an EPA registered product and is NOT a sanitizer.

That number you give, EPA# 059780-PA-001, it's NOT an EPA registration number! See how it ACTULLY says EPA est. # 059780-PA-001. The "est" WOULD be "reg", if in fact it were an EPA REGISTERED product............. now it's your turn to go get edimicated. What is the difference between an EPA registration and an EPA establishment?

Oh hecK, I'll help you out....... All that number indicates is the location where the product was manufactured.

In fact Kreg, when you copied the EPA number here, YOU chose to leave off the est part of the number printed on the package. EVERY EPA number printed on packaging is printed as either "EPA reg" (indication a registration number) or EPA est (indicating an establisment nuimber). Why did you chose to omit this????

Well said, I am just a redneck from Georgia so I would called him a big fat liar.

This goes to show what kind of company Master is, they are big fat liars.

I think Kreg will not be back, he ran away with his tail between his legs.

Still here...just waiting for somebody to add some intelligence to this conversation. So far, it's all "your a liar...Master dealers are all liars...did I mention Master dealers are all liars" If you want to debate, that's fine, but throw some useful info out there and stop acting like first-graders.

I dont think anyone here stated the pleatco filters are sanitizers and I dont believe in microban. I think more people would have problems listening to you tell them they dont need bromine or chlorine in the tub and that your filters do it all. Do you recommend that your customers shock their tub?

I never said people don't need chemicals

When you state your filter is a sanitizer which it clearly is not then y would you have a need for either bromine or chlorine. Like I said b4 it does nothing more than what any mineral cartridge claims to reduce chemicals. Which most of us have found, minerals work alright but they dont reduce your chlorine or bromine use by 95%. If the customer bought a pleatco instead of the eco pur there would hardly be a difference.

Apparantly you missed my post..... here's a condensed version;

That number you give, EPA# 059780-PA-001, it's NOT an EPA registration number! See how it ACTULLY says EPA est. # 059780-PA-001. The "est" WOULD be "reg", if in fact it were an EPA REGISTERED product............. now it's your turn to go get edimicated. What is the difference between an EPA registration and an EPA establishment?

Oh hecK, I'll help you out....... All that number indicates is the location where the product was manufactured.

Now a question for you............. Do you work for Masterspas? Or do you just sell them?

ecopure.jpg

Since I'm mining the data tonight...

I have to admit I love the knack East TX Spa seems to have with photos (!)

You can all rest assured that I don't have the time or inclination to investigate the board's capacity for photos tonight -- but be warned... it's coming !

/ Thanks for a little humor here -- KREG seems to need it

microban is implimented during the shell formation process and the problem with that is only certain parts of the shell contain it! :)

did I mention Master dealers are all liars"

I do not know about all, but the few stores I have been in all I heard was BS. There seemed to be a pattern as the first few words out of the salemans mouth as "this spa has two 5HP pump" and when I asked how much water they had they had no clue.

• 2 months later...

1. If you read the Master Spas Owner's Manual, page 19, you'll note that Eco Pur is not listed as a sanitizer:

"Sanitizers: This is what kills the germs and bacteria that enter the water from

the environment and the human body.

A. Chlorine

1. Only one type is good for spa use

a. Sodium dichlor which is a granule, fast dissolving, and pH neutral

2. Chlorine is an immediate sanitizer.

B. Bromine (Note: Bromine use is not recommended with Eco Pur filters.)

1.Two types of tablets.

a. Hydrotech

b. Lonza

2. Bromine is a slow dissolve chemical and may take a few days to

develop a reserve or reading in the water."

Page 20:

"SPECIAL NOTE

ECO PUR™ water purification system is designed to reduce the use of

conventional sanitizers.You will still be required, periodically, based on usage

to add a small amount of chlorine to oxidize organic compounds. ECO PUR™

will not eliminate the need to maintain proper water chemistry but can make

the maintenance a more natural experience."

Page 22:

"SPECIAL NOTES

The ECO PUR™ water purification system contains specific minerals found in nature that

when combined create an effective bactericide and algaecide that will protect your spa

water. Mineral purification will not oxidize organic compounds and will require periodic

doses of chlorine to assist in sanitization and oxidation processes required to maintain

clear spa water"

So, I'd say the Master Spa Owner's Manual does not claim that Eco Pur is a sanitizer. Rather, it is a mineral-based "water purification system" designed to reduce the use of chemicals - much like Nature 2, or other systems often described on this forum. But NOT a sanitizer.

And by the way, someone should tell them that they misspelled "Pure" a whole bunch of times. How embarrassing! They're going to have to reprint a whole lot of owner's manuals. :lol:

1. If you read the Master Spas Owner's Manual, page 19, you'll note that Eco Pur is not listed as a sanitizer:

"Sanitizers: This is what kills the germs and bacteria that enter the water from

A. Chlorine

1.Two types of tablets.

a. Hydrotech

b. Lonza

Page 20:

"SPECIAL NOTE

conventional sanitizers.You will still be required, periodically, based on usage

Page 22:

"SPECIAL NOTES

The ECO PUR™ water purification system contains specific minerals found in nature that

when combined create an effective bactericide and algaecide that will protect your spa

water. Mineral purification will not oxidize organic compounds and will require periodic

doses of chlorine to assist in sanitization and oxidation processes required to maintain

clear spa water"

So, I'd say the Master Spa Owner's Manual does not claim that Eco Pur is a sanitizer. Rather, it is a mineral-based "water purification system" designed to reduce the use of chemicals - much like Nature 2, or other systems often described on this forum. But NOT a sanitizer.

And by the way, someone should tell them that they misspelled "Pure" a whole bunch of times. How embarrassing! They're going to have to reprint a whole lot of owner's manuals. :lol:

Bottom line of this whole thread...Eco Pur filters keep your water clean! They actually filter water to NSF standards for drinking water. While I'm not going to drink the water in my spa, I surely will soak in it without hesitation!

A. Chlorine

1.Two types of tablets.

a. Hydrotech

b. Lonza

Page 20:

"SPECIAL NOTE

Page 22:

"SPECIAL NOTES

clear spa water"

Bottom line of this whole thread...Eco Pur filters keep your water clean! They actually filter water to NSF standards for drinking water. While I'm not going to drink the water in my spa, I surely will soak in it without hesitation!

Ecopur doesn't keep your water clean, you do! Ecopur kills some bacteria and still needs sanitizer (oxidizer)

Filtering is not sanitizing. They may filter down to one micron and keep your water clear, but not necessarily safe.

Copied from Wikipedia...

Mineral sanitizer

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Have questions? Find out how to ask questions and get answers. •Jump to: navigation, search

This article or section needs to be wikified to meet Wikipedia's quality standards.

Please help improve this article with relevant internal links. (September 2007)

Mineral sanitizers for the pool and spa use minerals, metals, or elements derived from the natural environment to produce water quality benefits that would otherwise be produced by harsh or synthetic chemicals.

Mineral technology takes advantage of the natural cleansing and filtering qualities of commonly occurring substances. Silver and copper are well-known oligodynamic substances that are effective in destroying pathogens. Silver has been shown to be effective against harmful bacteria, viruses, protozoa and fungi. Copper is widely used as an algicide. Alumina, derived from aluminates, filters detrimental materials at the molecular level, and can be used to control the delivery rate of desirable metals such as copper. Working through the pool or spa filtration system, mineral sanitizers use combinations of these minerals to inhibit algae growth and eliminate contaminants.

Unlike chlorine or bromine, metals and minerals do not evaporate, and elements cannot be chemically degraded into undesirable sub-units. Minerals can make the water noticeably softer, and by replacing harsh chemicals in the water they lower the potential for red-eye, dry skin and foul odors.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_sanitizer"

Wow...I specifically see phrases in there that say "Destroy(ing) pathogens, Mineral sanitizer, effective against harmful bacteria, viruses, etc. Sorry to burst your collective bubbles.

Wow...I specifically see phrases in there that say "Destroy(ing) pathogens, Mineral sanitizer, effective against harmful bacteria, viruses, etc. Sorry to burst your collective bubbles.

I'm a believer in mineral sticks like Nature 2 (or whatever brand name people use for them) as a secondary line of defense. You still will need to use a sanitizer like chlorine or bromine but they definitely help (same idea as ozone, great to has as an added defense).

Okay, I'm going to drag this one back up. I've looked around, and it sounds like the Pleatco PMA10 filter is the replacement for the Eco Pur filters. (I have to go home and measure to be sure, but that's what the pleatco book says). The price of the Pleatco filter is about half of the lowest price I've found the Eco Pur filters for. I run my Down East spa with about a 0.5-1.0 ppm chlorine level at all times, even when using the Eco Pur. I do this because the water just seems to smell a little cleaner, and I don't have to worry about algae growth or any other weirdness happening in my tub.

Can anyone give me a good reason to keep using the Eco Pur filters over the Pleatco filters? It sounds like the Pleatco is going to do the same thing that the Eco Pur does. If the Eco Pur filters truly give better performance, then I'll keep using them. Otherwise, I think I'm going to save some money and buy Pleatco.

Okay, I'm going to drag this one back up. I've looked around, and it sounds like the Pleatco PMA10 filter is the replacement for the Eco Pur filters. (I have to go home and measure to be sure, but that's what the pleatco book says). The price of the Pleatco filter is about half of the lowest price I've found the Eco Pur filters for. I run my Down East spa with about a 0.5-1.0 ppm chlorine level at all times, even when using the Eco Pur. I do this because the water just seems to smell a little cleaner, and I don't have to worry about algae growth or any other weirdness happening in my tub.

Can anyone give me a good reason to keep using the Eco Pur filters over the Pleatco filters? It sounds like the Pleatco is going to do the same thing that the Eco Pur does. If the Eco Pur filters truly give better performance, then I'll keep using them. Otherwise, I think I'm going to save some money and buy Pleatco.

Rick,

The other filters you are speaking of contain Microban. If you understand how Microban works, you will see the difference between the other filter and the Eco Pur filter. Microban inhibits the growth of bacteria by preventing them from reproducing. Essentially it "castrates" (ouch) the bacteria, but by no means does it kill the bacteria. When using these filters, you will need a sanitizer level maintained at all times. You can use either chlorine or bromine. If you want to maintain this sanitizer level, use whatever filters you want to. Most folks, who do not want to maintain this sanitizer level, feel the Eco Pur filters are well worth the money...less chemicals overall, and less TIME working on your tub. If you don't care about the chemical smell or the extra time involved, then maintain a 1-2 ppm of chlorine AT ALL TIMES, or 3-4 ppm of bromine AT ALL TIMES. Actually, in your case, bromine may be the better answer because you could use a bromine floater, not to mention combined bromine sanitizes better than combined chlorine, or chloramines. If you want to use chlorine, you will have to use dichlor, or granular, every day or two. Do not use triclor, or chlorine tablets, as their pH is extremely low and will destroy your total alkalinity. Triclor tablets can also damage your spa's surface. Hope this helps!

The Eco Pure filters may indeed give better performance but the question really is whether it is "enough better" to justify the price difference (and you don't indicate what that difference is).

To me this is like the Nature 2 cartridges where some may say their cost is not justified because there is not an equal reduction in chemical costs. I would argue that while that may be true you also have to take into account the fact that they make water maintenance easier and that is certainly worth something to the people I deal with.

I doubt the Eco Pur filters reduce chemical use much (I would NOT alter my sanitizer use one bit between the two) but maybe they're worth the piece of mind and ease of water care, that's your call (again, depending on the price difference).

The Eco Pure filters may indeed give better performance but the question really is whether it is "enough better" to justify the price difference (and you don't indicate what that difference is).

To me this is like the Nature 2 cartridges where some may say their cost is not justified because there is not an equal reduction in chemical costs. I would argue that while that may be true you also have to take into account the fact that they make water maintenance easier and that is certainly worth something to the people I deal with.

I doubt the Eco Pur filters reduce chemical use much (I would NOT alter my sanitizer use one bit between the two) but maybe they're worth the piece of mind and ease of water care, that's your call (again, depending on the price difference).

I would try the pleatco and judge for yourself and see if you notice a difference. Hell what do you have to lose, 30bucks? haha go for it

Thanks for the replies. I hesitated to mention actual costs, because I didn't want to piss anybody off on the board. But to show the difference, I'll talk price. If it's against the rules, I'm sure someone will correct me very quickly.

The Eco Pur filters from my dealer are somewhere around $70-75 each. (I'm going from memory, so don't hold these numbers hard and firm) I need two of them in my tub. I have seen them selling on ebay for about $45-50 each. So that's my first line of savings. Now, with the Pleatco, I've found them as low as $17 each online. So it's anywhere from a $60-120 savings, depending on where I buy them from. I know that you get what you pay for, and either Master Spa has a huge markup on filters, or the Pleatco's aren't quite as good, (I think it's a little of both) but that price difference is enough to intrique me about the Pleatco filters. I think I may try Brulan1's advice, and try the Pleatco. If they suck, I'm only out $35, and I can switch back to the Eco Pur.

Note: the prices I quoted are only for the internal Eco Pur filter. They do not include the large, outer filter.

Thanks for the replies. I hesitated to mention actual costs, because I didn't want to piss anybody off on the board. But to show the difference, I'll talk price. If it's against the rules, I'm sure someone will correct me very quickly.

The Eco Pur filters from my dealer are somewhere around $70-75 each. (I'm going from memory, so don't hold these numbers hard and firm) I need two of them in my tub. I have seen them selling on ebay for about $45-50 each. So that's my first line of savings. Now, with the Pleatco, I've found them as low as $17 each online. So it's anywhere from a $60-120 savings, depending on where I buy them from. I know that you get what you pay for, and either Master Spa has a huge markup on filters, or the Pleatco's aren't quite as good, (I think it's a little of both) but that price difference is enough to intrique me about the Pleatco filters. I think I may try Brulan1's advice, and try the Pleatco. If they suck, I'm only out $35, and I can switch back to the Eco Pur.

Note: the prices I quoted are only for the internal Eco Pur filter. They do not include the large, outer filter.

Problem solved thread closed untill latest update on how well to your suprise the pleatco works. :wub: You'll love it!