Costco Platinum elite spa

Guest Shelly Solum

Fair enough, I can't argue you when you say "What I have said, is that for the right person, looking for an entry level tub, they deserve consideration." statement as that is a reasonable way to look at it.

BTW, what do you mean "improved"? Did you add insulation and if so what manner and method?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Costco Spa. It seems pretty nice and the owners seem to be very, very happy with the spa. The price is Great and the Costco Return Policy is the BEST! I have decided to go with a Cal Spas Spa from a local Dealer with a great reputation. The reason I am going with the Cal Spa is I am getting it for the same price as the Costco Spa, $3999, which is a $2000 discount from every Cal Spa Dealer I have contacted in six other California Towns. We just had a Home Show in our City and the Dealer had this Spa at the show, so that is why I am getting the discount. It is a new spa with a full new spa warranty, it was just out at the Home Show, and for $2,000 that is fine with me. Plus, the Dealer will deliver and setup the spa, plus show me how everything works.

I know a lot of people on here are down on Cal Spas, but the Dealer is good and the price could not be beat.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, I can't argue you when you say "What I have said, is that for the right person, looking for an entry level tub, they deserve consideration." statement as that is a reasonable way to look at it.

BTW, what do you mean "improved"? Did you add insulation and if so what manner and method?

Yes. I added radient barrier insulation to the inside of the cabinet and plastic encased fiberglass (Mansville Comfort Therm) between the shell and cabinet. Works really well. Thought about foaming it but I wanted to maintain accessability.

NightRyder

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Costco Spa. It seems pretty nice and the owners seem to be very, very happy with the spa. The price is Great and the Costco Return Policy is the BEST! I have decided to go with a Cal Spas Spa from a local Dealer with a great reputation. The reason I am going with the Cal Spa is I am getting it for the same price as the Costco Spa, $3999, which is a $2000 discount from every Cal Spa Dealer I have contacted in six other California Towns. We just had a Home Show in our City and the Dealer had this Spa at the show, so that is why I am getting the discount. It is a new spa with a full new spa warranty, it was just out at the Home Show, and for $2,000 that is fine with me. Plus, the Dealer will deliver and setup the spa, plus show me how everything works.

I know a lot of people on here are down on Cal Spas, but the Dealer is good and the price could not be beat.

Sounds great Woobah, let us know how you like it.

NightRyder

That sounds goods BUT there is one thing that has happened to a few people who've gotten a new Cal Spa and have mentioned on these sites became an issue. They will often offer spas at a special discount and I've seen customers psot here and other sites saying they were UNAWARE that these specially priced spas did NOT get the standard warranty that they assumed they would have. Somehow the special price comes with a special shorter warranty. Make sure they give you a copy of the warranty and that they reference the warranty on the invoice or write a note on the warranty sheet that it covers "spa A bought on invoice XYZ". I'm not trying to put a scare into you, I've just seen that subject come up a few too many times that their standard warranty does not always apply and a few have been bruned by not knowing that ahead of time for whatever reason. It may be a great deal anyway but this is the type of issue that can give Cal Spa a bad name so check it out; better to be safe than sorry.

That sounds goods BUT there is one thing that has happened to a few people who've gotten a new Cal Spa and have mentioned on these sites became an issue. They will often offer spas at a special discount and I've seen customers psot here and other sites saying they were UNAWARE that these specially priced spas did NOT get the standard warranty that they assumed they would have. Somehow the special price comes with a special shorter warranty. Make sure they give you a copy of the warranty and that they reference the warranty on the invoice or write a note on the warranty sheet that it covers "spa A bought on invoice XYZ". I'm not trying to put a scare into you, I've just seen that subject come up a few too many times that their standard warranty does not always apply and a few have been bruned by not knowing that ahead of time for whatever reason. It may be a great deal anyway but this is the type of issue that can give Cal Spa a bad name so check it out; better to be safe than sorry.

Excellent suggestion. :) As I have not had the spa delivered yet. I will go back to the store tomorrow and have them write full NEW CAL SPA Warranty on the receipt It will be interesting to see if they do it, since that is what I was told. If not, I will cancel the order. But; for now, I will give the Dealer the benefit of the doubt. Thanks for the tip. :D

Excellent suggestion. :) As I have not had the spa delivered yet. I will go back to the store tomorrow and have them write full NEW CAL SPA Warranty on the receipt It will be interesting to see if they do it, since that is what I was told. If not, I will cancel the order. But; for now, I will give the Dealer the benefit of the doubt. Thanks for the tip. :D

and I hope I'm just sounding an unnecessary warning bell but let us know, either way.

Just my two cents, but I don’t think anything in Bob’s review of his hot tub is deceiving. It’s positive, constructive posts like his that I value most on this message board. I just don’t understand all the bashing of these low end tubs. It reminds me of people who own Harleys and look down on everyone else who drive anything but a Harley.

I am not in spa sales or service business but I think I have a unique perspective. While I was growing up my parents had several Hotsprings tubs, the house I lived in for 3 years had a Sundance tub, I have a Keys Backyard tub that I got from Sam’s and my best friend has the Costco tub, so in the past 2 weeks I’ve used the Hot Springs, Costco, and Keys spas.

I am not saying that I think everyone should get a low end spa but it does bother me to see people new to spas asking for advice and people telling them what ever you do don’t buy one of those spas. If money isn’t a factor I would say go with a higher end tub but if cost is a big concern the Keys/Costco tubs are a viable option. I am very happy with my tub. You just have to understand that the quality isn’t as high. On the Keys tub I have it looks like most of the components are quality components but you can see corners were cut to be able to sell them at such a low price. The insulation isn’t as good as my parents HotSpring and even thought their tub is bigger than mine it cost about $25-30 more a month in the winter to run.

One of the things that I see a lot on this board that I find deceiving is the example people use when someone says it cost them say $50 in Feb to run the tub and I see examples of $50 X 12 months = $600 a year to heat . It may cost $50 to heat in Dec-Feb in cold weather climates but it cost a lot less the other 9 months, especially in the summer.

LEt me get something straight here. You people here may call this bashing but here is my outlook. There are people here trying to preach about how good of a deal this costco tub is and it all seems to be based on the 2 major merits. One is good price and 2 is a good return policy. I will start with number 2 first. If you are buying something such as a hot tub that doesnt even come with delivery, then buying based on the return policy is completely stupid in my opnion. I also can say that I am happy it does come with one because it will most likely get used. Then off to number one reason. PRICE, the opitimy of a costco shopper in the first place. My simple explanation on additional cost to run the costco spa was for simple math comparison. YEas, it may not be as much as a difference in the summer months but please remeber that there will still be a big differnce in cost to run even during those months. My explanation was to show that you can be a die hard cheep a$$ now and buy a crappy built spa with a lame jet selection in the effort to save money that it the end wont be saved at all. PAY NOW OR PAY LATER, its simple. The cost for delivery, the additional cost to run will all catch up to you in the end. So many people are talking about cutting out the saleman in the showroom floors and needing their hand held. Bull cr@p!!!!!!!! The products arent on the same scale. If I wanted to buy a mercedes, I sure am not going to go the the Kia lot. It kills me to see thirteen pages of poeple comparing a less than mediocre pot of water that costco calls a hot tub to all of these nice, high quality brands. So when you buy your Kia Rio, do you park it next to your neighbors BMW and try talking that up too???? Ohhh yeahhh, well my car has a stearing wheel too......

YOu can call this bashing and I really dont care, thast what forum sites are for, to speak your own mind no matter what it may be. I am not going to hold my opinion back just in the name of not being considered a basher or offending someone that owns one. To each their own. I am not even saying not to buy one. All I am saying is to do your homework, weigh everyhting out, write it down on paper and take a little time to do the math. You will find that you dont have to resort to buying a costco tub to get a nice hot tub at a good price DELIVERD. If you have a costco tub and you are happy with it then good for you. I am happy that you like it. This so called, "bash" as most of you will probably refer to it as is in no way to criticize how much money you have to purchase a spa. I am very familiar that everyone lives on their own budget. My point is that there are people like WooBah that took the initiative to research, and do some homework and scouted out what seems to be a good deal on tub that suits him. One of that last things that am thinking about when sitting in a spa is, "Gee, this thing has a great return policy".

Will summarize an already long post with this. I have a 1988 boat that I take out to the lake that suits what I wanted just fine. I did my homework and scouted an excellent deal on it. When I go to the lake and I see all of the nice 50,000 dollar boats out there I drewl and think of the day I can afford that, but the last thing that you will see me do is pull up next to one and say the people, " Arent you gelous, it cost me less than yours???" Completely stupid. It makes me think of the costco tub scenerio. I could have afforded to buy a costco tub and save the money, the price seems attractive to anyone whether or not they can afford more. But the math didnt add up and I was very unimpressed witht he tub in the first place. I was unimpressed with the quality, the lack of a wet test, the customer support, the makers track record, the jet options and many other things. You can say that I needed hand holding or whatever you want to call it, but if the tub at costco was nice quality, was delivered, had a nice jet selection, came from a reputable maker and was allowed a wet test, I may have bought it. Of course it would have cost 4k either. You get what you pay for. You arent going to get a BMW on a KIA budget. Its not going to happen. So when looking at the costco tub and you think that the tub is too good to be true, it is. They sacraficed all over the place.

The Costco spa is a "Do-It-Yourself" kit. No dealer inflated price because of comission to puff-up the cost, and no dealer to help you out for setup and such........ I didn't go with the Costco tub, but I would have had no problem with it. Also, what's wrong with a return policy? If you decide you don't want a spa, that its not for you or the one you bought totally sucks the cost of shipment is nothing. I'd gladly eat the cost of packing it back up to get a full refund if I was not happy with my spa. NO DEALER IN THE KNOWN WORLD would offer that same deal.

BTW, have you ever wet-tested a Costco spa yourself? If not, then how would know its too good to be true? There are no Costco spa owners on this message board that would backup what you say about them. Until you've done your own wet-test you shouldn't bash IMO.

LEt me get something straight here. You people here may call this bashing but here is my outlook. There are people here trying to preach about how good of a deal this costco tub is and it all seems to be based on the 2 major merits. One is good price and 2 is a good return policy. I will start with number 2 first. If you are buying something such as a hot tub that doesnt even come with delivery, then buying based on the return policy is completely stupid in my opnion. I also can say that I am happy it does come with one because it will most likely get used. Then off to number one reason. PRICE, the opitimy of a costco shopper in the first place. My simple explanation on additional cost to run the costco spa was for simple math comparison. YEas, it may not be as much as a difference in the summer months but please remeber that there will still be a big differnce in cost to run even during those months. My explanation was to show that you can be a die hard cheep a$$ now and buy a crappy built spa with a lame jet selection in the effort to save money that it the end wont be saved at all. PAY NOW OR PAY LATER, its simple. The cost for delivery, the additional cost to run will all catch up to you in the end. So many people are talking about cutting out the saleman in the showroom floors and needing their hand held. Bull cr@p!!!!!!!! The products arent on the same scale. If I wanted to buy a mercedes, I sure am not going to go the the Kia lot. It kills me to see thirteen pages of poeple comparing a less than mediocre pot of water that costco calls a hot tub to all of these nice, high quality brands. So when you buy your Kia Rio, do you park it next to your neighbors BMW and try talking that up too???? Ohhh yeahhh, well my car has a stearing wheel too......

YOu can call this bashing and I really dont care, thast what forum sites are for, to speak your own mind no matter what it may be. I am not going to hold my opinion back just in the name of not being considered a basher or offending someone that owns one. To each their own. I am not even saying not to buy one. All I am saying is to do your homework, weigh everyhting out, write it down on paper and take a little time to do the math. You will find that you dont have to resort to buying a costco tub to get a nice hot tub at a good price DELIVERD. If you have a costco tub and you are happy with it then good for you. I am happy that you like it. This so called, "bash" as most of you will probably refer to it as is in no way to criticize how much money you have to purchase a spa. I am very familiar that everyone lives on their own budget. My point is that there are people like WooBah that took the initiative to research, and do some homework and scouted out what seems to be a good deal on tub that suits him. One of that last things that am thinking about when sitting in a spa is, "Gee, this thing has a great return policy".

Will summarize an already long post with this. I have a 1988 boat that I take out to the lake that suits what I wanted just fine. I did my homework and scouted an excellent deal on it. When I go to the lake and I see all of the nice 50,000 dollar boats out there I drewl and think of the day I can afford that, but the last thing that you will see me do is pull up next to one and say the people, " Arent you gelous, it cost me less than yours???" Completely stupid. It makes me think of the costco tub scenerio. I could have afforded to buy a costco tub and save the money, the price seems attractive to anyone whether or not they can afford more. But the math didnt add up and I was very unimpressed witht he tub in the first place. I was unimpressed with the quality, the lack of a wet test, the customer support, the makers track record, the jet options and many other things. You can say that I needed hand holding or whatever you want to call it, but if the tub at costco was nice quality, was delivered, had a nice jet selection, came from a reputable maker and was allowed a wet test, I may have bought it. Of course it would have cost 4k either. You get what you pay for. You arent going to get a BMW on a KIA budget. Its not going to happen. So when looking at the costco tub and you think that the tub is too good to be true, it is. They sacraficed all over the place.

Sounds like someone needs to deal with some anger issues to me.

I agree with you that someone shouldn't buy a tub just because of the return policy, but hey if it gives them piece of mind so be it. My issue is that many people (not all) on this board completely discount the notion that these tubs are an option. Sure you don’t come out and say don’t buy this tub but you say things like do the math and you will realize you don’t need to buy on of these crappy tubs or be a die hard cheap a$$. My point is let people do the math and let them decide what works for them. I have no issue with you not liking the tub but someone posts a message reviewing the tub saying he likes it (doesn’t compare it to anything) and somehow this is deceptive.

Sounds like someone needs to deal with some anger issues to me.

Yeah, he's a perfect example of what turned me off the dealers, got run down the competetion and shovel that FUD. Of course those of us that accually own or have used a Costco spa don't know anything.... :rolleyes:

NightRyder

Of course those of us that accually own or have used a Costco spa don't know anything.... :rolleyes:

NightRyder

Not true, you know how the expereince has been for yourself, it's a sample of one and statistically it can not be used be draw anty real conclusions other than to show what your indiviual experience has been. We're not telling you your spa is wrong for you but I hope no one runs out to get it based on your opinion alone any more than they should necessarily buy whatever spa Guzz, Sharkman, Brulan or anyone else preferred (even if their sample experience went beyond 1 spa).

He does'nt sound angry to me, I think he makes some very good points in his argument. Maybe it's not what you want to hear.

Sounds like his ideas are sound, he just needs to relax and realize people are going to think what they think. You can't come here to change everyone and once someone has made a decision they may dig themselves in and you're not going to get them to budge. You just state your opinion and those who are not already bound to certain beliefs (either way) and are on the fence can take in what is said and draw their own conclusions.

Hello,

To what was IknewIwasright was saying, I only can say that the KIA SUV is more reliable that BMX X5.

Believe me I'm in the German automobile business and its hurts to write it.

The Platinum spa got an Update. Now the Platinum2 is out and has got quite a few improvements.

For example better insulation and energy ratings, new Blaboa control.

I have wet tested a few hot tubs and listen carefully to my friends and there complains.

Overall, they had quit a few bad experiences with Sundance, Vista and other.

The local services were slow and very expensive - One of my friends was waiting to long on a part and the hot tub froze. It is garbage now! 9000$ after 14 month wasted. The warranty does not take care of it, because they are not responsible of how fast the local dealers react.

Back to the wet testing.

After I liked the jets I have seen from Vista, the dealer told me that they will come up with smaller more efficient jets, to get a better energy rating. So the size does not seem to make the difference.

By the way - I gave my BMW x5 back after 7 garage visits.

Quality still looks good on BMW - if the car would just drive!

Just my 2 cents!

Have fun guys!

Not true, you know how the expereince has been for yourself, it's a sample of one and statistically it can not be used be draw anty real conclusions other than to show what your indiviual experience has been. We're not telling you your spa is wrong for you but I hope no one runs out to get it based on your opinion alone any more than they should necessarily buy whatever spa Guzz, Sharkman, Brulan or anyone else preferred (even if their sample experience went beyond 1 spa).

Couldn't agree more. All I can do is relate my experience.

I think those of us that own the tub have tried to provide a real world assessment of the merits and short falls associated purchasing this tub from Costco. First Timer's posts in this and other threads relating to this tub ignore the tubs merits and exaggerate the deficiencies; his last post just degenerated into an offensive rant and did nothing to enhance his position: IMO. If anyone wants and honest opinion from an owner whether they should consider purchasing this spa they are welcome to post their questions or PM me.

NightRyder

Couldn't agree more. All I can do is relate my experience.

I think those of us that own the tub have tried to provide a real world assessment of the merits and short falls associated purchasing this tub from Costco. First Timer's posts in this and other threads relating to this tub ignore the tubs merits and exaggerate the deficiencies; his last post just degenerated into an offensive rant and did nothing to enhance his position: IMO. If anyone wants and honest opinion from an owner whether they should consider purchasing this spa they are welcome to post their questions or PM me.

NightRyder

His post may ignore its merits but I dont agree that they exaggerate the deficiencies. Look I realize nobody likes to be told that the product they purchased is not a good product.

you can try to tiptoe around the issues to try to give a prospective customer your opinion while trying not to make someone else mad but its going to happen.

I've done this myself and no matter how many times I've said they're not for everyone but if you own one and your happy with it great then if I give any of the experiences that I've had dealing with the manufacturers it is always taken as bashing.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I think EVERYONES opinion is important.

The argument keeps being made well your opinion doesnt count because you compete against them or your opinion doesnt count because your a disgrunteled customer etc.

That is the most ridiculous analogy that I can think of because in the end there would be nobody left to give an opinion.

Any one of us could be looked at as having a slanted view.

Maybe all of us are not good at articulating our opinions in a way that pleases everyone but this is a forum and I have to agree with a lot of firstimers opinions on this product and I work on them. My opinion.

Any one of us could be looked at as having a slanted view.

Maybe all of us are not good at articulating our opinions in a way that pleases everyone but this is a forum and I have to agree with a lot of firstimers opinions on this product and I work on them. My opinion.

You have actually worked on a Costco spa? Or have you worked on a 'similar' spa?

I would not see any problem with the bashing if it came from folks who actually owned the item, or had even used the item they bash. From my observations I see the Costco tubs selling out faster then they can stock them and if they were as bad as some have mentioned I would guess we might find at least one disgruntled owner on this board. Seems to make sense to me anyway.

I would not see any problem with the bashing if it came from folks who actually owned the item, or had even used the item they bash. From my observations I see the Costco tubs selling out faster then they can stock them and if they were as bad as some have mentioned I would guess we might find at least one disgruntled owner on this board. Seems to make sense to me anyway.

I have searched the board as good as I could, and I could not find one negative comment by an actual owner of a costco tub. You know, someone who actually uses one on a day in and day out basis.

As far as the arguement that we all justify our purchases, I could not disagree with you more. I don't know a soul on this board. Why should I waste my time justifing anything that I do to a bunch of people that I will never meet. I say positive things about the costco tub because my experience with it has been nothing but positive. (Except building the platform to set it on.)

Yeah, everyone can have an opinion, but in this type of forum you have to qualify them. I'm not saying that anyone in competition with Costco can't have a valid opinion, but it has to be taken in the context that dealers want to stay in business and have a considerable interest in promoting the product they carry, spa salesmen, like anyone working on commission want to make money. Costco in the spa business poses a threat to both.

What I see here so far is satisfied consumers on one side and unhappy spa business related posters on the other. How funny is that? If someone considering a Costco spa buys something else I have absolutley no problem with it, doesn't effect me in any way. I'll wish them well and hope they are as pleased with their spa as I am. On the other hand, why can't the owner of a "discount" spa post their positive experience without being subjected to snide remarks from the other side?

Nothing personal Sharkman, but I could really care less what you think of my purchase, I outgrew any need for that kind of validation 20 years ago. I did my research, I know what I bought, and I'm happy with it, in the end that's all that matters.

NightRyder

Yeah, everyone can have an opinion, but in this type of forum you have to qualify them. I'm not saying that anyone in competition with Costco can't have a valid opinion, but it has to be taken in the context that dealers want to stay in business and have a considerable interest in promoting the product they carry, spa salesmen, like anyone working on commission want to make money. Costco in the spa business poses a threat to both.

What I see here so far is satisfied consumers on one side and unhappy spa business related posters on the other. How funny is that? If someone considering a Costco spa buys something else I have absolutley no problem with it, doesn't effect me in any way. I'll wish them well and hope they are as pleased with their spa as I am. On the other hand, why can't the owner of a "discount" spa post their positive experience without being subjected to snide remarks from the other side?

Nothing personal Sharkman, but I could really care less what you think of my purchase, I outgrew any need for that kind of validation 20 years ago. I did my research, I know what I bought, and I'm happy with it, in the end that's all that matters.

NightRyder

I am not a dealer, though you may have overlooked that part before you made that post. I am just a consumer. I guess that you could put me in a third category, people that think the costco tub is crap and are not dealers.

I am just a consumer. I guess that you could put me in a third category, people that think the costco tub is crap and are not dealers.

We actually have more than 3 categories on this subject but we'll save a space in that one for you. I can't completely join your group as it's a bit too far to the right for me; I'm about 2/3 of the way between the middle and the far right on this one, closer to the right but not to the point of thinking that everyone who buys one is going to regret it.

My biggest peeve is when I see people say they saved $4k over a Sundance, Hot Springs, etc. when I know that is apples and oranges as the comparison is without merit. It is what it is, IMO a less-than-premium spa in quality, insulation, warranty/service and performance than the more reputable premium spa makers BUT it comes at a lower price. If someone say "Yup, I see that too but it's for me" then good luck to them and if they're a do-it-yourselfer they may very well be very happy with it but at least they are going in with their eyes open. If I were not in the industry I know I'd look into them based on how I shop. I'm on the frugal side but I also think I know the difference between getting a bargain and getting a lesser product for less $$ and I see it as just the latter.

You have actually worked on a Costco spa? Or have you worked on a 'similar' spa?

I have worked as a warranty center for three of the spa manufacturers that have built spas for Costco. Caldera, Jacuzzi and Hydro spa. As far as the number of spas sold out there the number sold through Costco pales in comparison to the rest of the industry.

I have worked as a warranty center for three of the spa manufacturers that have built spas for Costco. Caldera, Jacuzzi and Hydro spa. As far as the number of spas sold out there the number sold through Costco pales in comparison to the rest of the industry.

It would be interesting to see the numbers. Costco has over 400 stores in the USA. Last year my local Costco was allotted 100 of the Elite Spas according to the manager. I believe they sold them all because my sister-in-law wanted one in late summer and they told her they had sold-out for the year. She called all the Costco stores within 100 miles (4, I think) and they told her the same. I have no way of knowing if all the stores received the same allotment, but if so, that would be a lot of spas.

NightRyder

NightRyder

See this is a perfect example of what I described. I didnt say anything about your purchase.

It sounds to me like you are the one that is taking it personal.

I work on these spas and you can ignore that fact if you want that doesnt bother me in the least but when I give someone who asks for an opinion, my opinion, dont get offended by that.

Some dealers may be unhappy about Costco however any good spa dealer or service tech will realize that Costco is not a competitor to be concerned with. 98% of the spas out there will eventually need the help of a local dealer or service tech. There is no way ANY big box store will ever be able to put us out of business because in the end it all comes down to customer service.

I am not a dealer, though you may have overlooked that part before you made that post. I am just a consumer. I guess that you could put me in a third category, people that think the costco tub is crap and are not dealers.

So how do you come to the conclusion that the tubs are crap? You don't sell them, own them or work on them. Do you just hate Costco? I guess your third catagory is "no-basis for opinion".