Costco Platinum elite spa

Guest Shelly Solum

Hello All;

I appreciated the info provided in the formums and wanted to provide some feedback as I bought the Costco spa in January.

The price delivered was as quoted, and delivery was in two weeks.

The spa is shipped vertical on a large pallet. In my case the pallet had been damaged. The trailer had a drop gate. I moved the Spa using a trailer with a ramp. At +/- 900 pounds is was a bit bulky and rigging skills are required. This is not a simple object to move!

Upon opening I noticed some ice in the wrapping and some white mold on the inner frame and floor. I photo documented. Otherwise the spa was perfect.

Electrical hookup and startup were simple. Startup was flawless. No leaks or freeze up related problems were noted. I did note some corrosion on the screws that hold on the service cover, and replace them with better screws.

The finish was excellent and jets of good quality and as advertised. Noted that controller now says HyrdoSpa. Heat up is about 5-6 degrees/hr. Performance of pumps and air systems is excellent. 4 friends with various spas have tried it out and agree this is better than their tubs.

Top came with lift which was easy to install and works well.

The spa has used very little in the way of chemicals. (Using BaquaSpa). Ozonator must be functioning well.

I have been down to 0 degrees with no problems.

Inner cones of 2 nozzles did pop out, but went back in with no problem,

Tha large water volume and added depth of one of the seats is great. The four unique corner seats and nozzles are a nice feature. The tub takes 6 confortably with little water loss.

Thus far, the tub appears to be a good bargain

Is that Elite spa made by MaaX or Hyrdo? MaaX makes an Elite as well as Coleman.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why knock on wood? At the prices some of you guys are talking about, I can afford to run it until it dies, buy another one, and still come out ahead.

Yours is a sample of 1. If you saw more of those spas out there you might think otherwise. The key to owning those is being able to do your own service as you will be the service guy or you'll be hiring someone. If you can take care of it you may have a good expereince but if you judge based on the multitudes out there then your opinion would have more substance behind it. Good luck and I'll knock on wood for you.

Why knock on wood? At the prices some of you guys are talking about, I can afford to run it until it dies, buy another one, and still come out ahead.

Don't be surprised by the reaction, dealers hate these. While shopping, I had more than one salesperson launch into a tirade when I mentioned seeing the spa at Costco. Each and every time, after much detailed questioning, the salesperson would finally admit they had never even seen the spa they were trashing! These are far superior to the Image/Welso junk that Wal-Mart and Home Depot sell. Nice quality shell and under the skin, good quality stock components and manifold plumbing. They are a little shy on insulation but that is easy to fix. Having said that, these spas aren't for everyone, but they offer a good value to those willing to forgo the security and handholding that can be provided by a reputable dealer. IMHO.

NightRyder

Don't be surprised by the reaction, dealers hate these. While shopping, I had more than one salesperson launch into a tirade when I mentioned seeing the spa at Costco. Each and every time, after much detailed questioning, the salesperson would finally admit they had never even seen the spa they were trashing! These are far superior to the Image/Welso junk that Wal-Mart and Home Depot sell. Nice quality shell and under the skin, good quality stock components and manifold plumbing. They are a little shy on insulation but that is easy to fix. Having said that, these spas aren't for everyone, but they offer a good value to those willing to forgo the security and handholding that can be provided by a reputable dealer. IMHO.

NightRyder

As a matter of fact I have not only seen these spas I have worked on them. I hope for your sake that you continue to have good success with your spa. You were right when you stated these spas arent for everyone. If you want a spa for a cheap price and you dont plan on owning the spa for more than a couple of years then go for it. Just dont buy it with the expectation that its going to operate or compare to one of the better built spas on the market.

As a matter of fact I have not only seen these spas I have worked on them. I hope for your sake that you continue to have good success with your spa. You were right when you stated these spas arent for everyone. If you want a spa for a cheap price and you dont plan on owning the spa for more than a couple of years then go for it. Just dont buy it with the expectation that its going to operate or compare to one of the better built spas on the market.

Amusing and totally unexpected response.

Well said, as long as you go into it with your eyes wide open the mass merchant spas can be fine. The real issue is when people think they're getting more than they really are.

Gee, I'm worried now. :rolleyes:

If I have any serious problems, or even if I decide I don't like it, I'll take it back to Costco and get a full refund (yes even after 2 or more years). Any of you dealers out there care to make your customers the same offer?

As far as the so called better built spas - If you live in the Pacific NW, the Marquis factory in Independance, OR. has a yearly sale, bring your trailer and pick one up for 50% to 70% off the retail price and as a bonus bypass all the mine is better than their's sales crap.

NightRyder

NightRyder

I think these spas are for people who are not too concerned with massaging therapeutic jets which I have gotten so used to I wouldn't buy a cheap spa. ( and yes I have tried one of the costco spas that said it had all the bells, not bad tubs) Also I am alot more comfortable if I have a good warranty because everyone who owns a spa is going to need it at some point. I didn't like the look of the costco spa as much as some of the other models, and i like the fact that with most of the bigger companies you get a full manual, pre-delivery & set up instructions the insulated covers that lock down, a GFCI sub panel, and startup kits or steps.

Thats just my personal preference, What ever you buy hope it's enjoyable to all of you.

I think these spas are for people who are not too concerned with massaging therapeutic jets which I have gotten so used to I wouldn't buy a cheap spa. ( and yes I have tried one of the costco spas that said it had all the bells, not bad tubs) Also I am alot more comfortable if I have a good warranty because everyone who owns a spa is going to need it at some point. I didn't like the look of the costco spa as much as some of the other models, and i like the fact that with most of the bigger companies you get a full manual, pre-delivery & set up instructions the insulated covers that lock down, a GFCI sub panel, and startup kits or steps.

Thats just my personal preference, What ever you buy hope it's enjoyable to all of you.

Thanks, I do enjoy my spa.

Sounds like you had well thought out and valid reasons for making the choice you did. Different things are important to different people, that's why it's good to have choices. I'm just a consumer, I have no agenda, nor am I here to criticize or run down anyone’s choice.

The Costco tub is a nicely equipped entry level tub at an entry level price. No one is claiming it is equivalent to a 8K to 10K spa, but it is a solid tub equipped with name brand components offered at a fair price, plus it's backed by one of the most liberal and consumer friendly return policies in retail.

NightRyder

I don't have a dog in this fight, as they say, but my sister and brother-in-law bought a Costco tub about five years ago. They live in northern Vermont. The instrument panel failed right away, but Costco replaced it no questions asked. Since then, the tub has just run and run. It gets used every day. My brother-in-law is technically pretty savvy though, and willing to experiment. He did his own installation and he added foam where he thought it need it and fiberglass around the skirt. He figures it costs about a dollar a day to run in the winter. He came up with another trick that will probably bother the pros: he puts a chlorine "hockey puck" in a tupperware container which he has drilled a few small holes in and tosses the container in the tub. It takes about a week and a half for the chlorine to disolve. Chlorine levels stay right where they belong. Saves a lot of money and by a strange molecular coincidence the density of the tupperware is such that when the chlorine tablet has completely disolved the container floats to the surface and washes into the filter-ready for a refill.

At $3500 if my Costco spa completely dies after 5 years, I can go get another one, and I will have a brand new spa and will still have spent less than those who paid $10,000 up front and after 5 years have a 5 year old spa. Sorry to all those dealers who disagree, but I like my chances.

Your logic is good (except for where you compare yours to a $10,000 spa or a $6000 one for that matter). You're not in it for a lot of money comparatively speaking and if the spa runs pretty well you'll feel like you got a bargain.

Thanks, I do enjoy my spa.

Sounds like you had well thought out and valid reasons for making the choice you did. Different things are important to different people, that's why it's good to have choices. I'm just a consumer, I have no agenda, nor am I here to criticize or run down anyone’s choice.

The Costco tub is a nicely equipped entry level tub at an entry level price. No one is claiming it is equivalent to a 8K to 10K spa, but it is a solid tub equipped with name brand components offered at a fair price, plus it's backed by one of the most liberal and consumer friendly return policies in retail.

NightRyder

You know its interesting to me that you say that your not criticizing anyone elses choices yet you posted that your Costco tub is superior to the junk sold through Home Depot. That is just as much a critic as any post that has been posted here. The spa you own is not any higher quality than the products sold through Home Depot. You do have a couple more features than what are offered on their spas, which makes it a better value but it is not higher quality. Your right it is good to have choices but as service techs who warranty these products we see people who purchase these products and they do not have the same good experiences that you had with yours and we are the ones who hear the complaints. You think because anyone selling a competing product tells the truth about those spas that its trying to trash them, I'm not going to try to tell you that doesnt happen but thats painting dealers and techs with a pretty broad brush.

As dealers we all have choices to make and any dealer could sell Hydro Spa, Image or a list of others that are comparable in construction and value but we have made a decision to carry products that are built differently and higher priced and have a lower failure rate.

There are several things to remember, and these are not meant to be insulting or a criticism of anyone who owns one of these spas.

There have been three different manufacturers that have handled the spa program for Costco, Caldera, Jacuzzi, and now Hydro spa and we have been involved with the warranty process with all of them. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Hydro spa wont be the last either.

There is a reason that manufacturers dont stick with this program but I'm not getting into that.

Your right Costco has an excellent program for returning products but unfortunately with the spas the return of the spas is not quite as easy as you make it sound and by the time most customers are ready to return their spas they are so ticked off that they hate spas in general and spa dealers are thrown right in there with them.

One of my best customers is the GM of our local Costco and he owns one of our spas and I was curious when he came in and purchased a spa from us so I asked him why he would buy a spa from us when he had access to spas through his store ? He said I had one and Im not going through that again. Since that time I have had more Costco employees that have purchased spas and above ground pools from us. As the old saying goes you get what you pay for.

I went to Costco in Federal Way, WA. and they had the Platinum Elite II forsale for $3,999. 65 jets (55water, 10air), was 87x87x37 and holds 325gallons. Has all CD/Radio stuff, lights, etc and looked very nice. Right now we are leaning that direction since the Costco spa is about half of what we have been quoted at the dealers and the advantage of being able to return for a refund is a BIG plus for me. If I was to by a spa from Joes Hot Tub shack and it turned out to be a lemon, I would be at the mercy of the dealer to get me fixed up (hope he stays in business). Costco's return policy is a big bonus. We almost bought a spa a few months ago from a place called "Spa City" and we just found out they went out of business a few weeks ago... Everyone who had warranty's through them are now out of luck. We got lucky we didn't buy a few months ago, that's for sure.

I went to Costco in Federal Way, WA. and they had the Platinum Elite II forsale for $3,999. 65 jets (55water, 10air), was 87x87x37 and holds 325gallons. Has all CD/Radio stuff, lights, etc and looked very nice. Right now we are leaning that direction since the Costco spa is about half of what we have been quoted at the dealers and the advantage of being able to return for a refund is a BIG plus for me. If I was to by a spa from Joes Hot Tub shack and it turned out to be a lemon, I would be at the mercy of the dealer to get me fixed up (hope he stays in business). Costco's return policy is a big bonus. We almost bought a spa a few months ago from a place called "Spa City" and we just found out they went out of business a few weeks ago... Everyone who had warranty's through them are now out of luck. We got lucky we didn't buy a few months ago, that's for sure.

Has anyone ever returned a Costco spa? What cost are incured by the consumer to do this? Jack, if you buy a quality spa and the dealer goes out of business the warranty is still covered by the manufacturer. What was the brand name of spas that "Spa City" was selling?

Has anyone ever returned a Costco spa? What cost are incured by the consumer to do this? Jack, if you buy a quality spa and the dealer goes out of business the warranty is still covered by the manufacturer.

To return the spa for a full refund.

1. Contact Costco and explain that you are unhappy with it - any reason.

2. Load up the spa and deliver to the nearest Costco.

3. Get check for full purchase price.

This is Costco's customer satisfaction policy and applies to most merchandise they sell - It is separate and beyond any warranty. There is no written time limit. A friend of mine returned his 4 year old big screen TV and got a full refund.

The manufacturer warranty is on the spa is...

Lifetime Spa Structural Warranty

10 Year Surface Warranty

Lifetime Manifold Plumbing Warranty

2 Year Electrical Equipment Warranty

NightRyder

This is Costco's customer satisfaction policy and applies to most merchandise they sell - It is separate and beyond any warranty. There is no written time limit. A friend of mine returned his 4 year old big screen TV and got a full refund.

10 Year Surface Warranty

NightRyder

That is a great return policy, think I'll get my next wife there.

10 Year Surface Warranty

NightRyder

The word "MOST" would be the one that would concern me. I'm not sure they take back spas the way they take back a pair of pants just because you don't like the fit.

The word "MOST" would be the one that would concern me. I'm not sure they take back spas the way they take back a pair of pants just because you don't like the fit.

I agree, that is why I asked if anyone has actually returned a spa.