Costco Platinum elite spa

Guest Shelly Solum

Guest Love it, but...

I love my spa I got from Costco. But the cost in energy has been Huge! I;m not sure I would do it again. probvably just by a better spa in the beginning.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have located a used one of these and she wants $7800 for it, what is the Costco price. She says they used it 10 times. What about service and parts availability if it is a discontinued model?

Thank you.

Juana,

I have to beleivek you are confusing a Maax ELITE Spa with a spa made for Costco using a similar name. The Elite Spa by Maax (http://www.elitespasbymaax.com/indulge.html ) may have sold for $8k at one time but the Costco spa in question is more of an entry level spa, sells for far less and is made by a company called Hydrospas that makes a lot of spas for rebranding purposes. The spa you're talking about is more of a premium spa but that seems high for a used spa. Even though it may be barely used you're not going to get the warranty.

Hi. My name is Amanda and I'm a costco-holic too. :P

It sounds like the costco deal is a great one! Full of glitz, jets, microstuff, radios... WOW! I'm glad to hear that there are many happy Costco owners that have had their spa for up to 3 or so months. I would love to hear from everyone to see how your experience is for the next few years or so. I LOVE Costco! I go there once a month and stock up and feel like my family could overcome any emergency because I have a years supply of just about everything you could think of! They really do have amazing deals on many many items! Their return policy is truely amazing!

Purchasing a spa is a very big deal and many people are absolutely right to get the most bang for the buck. One of the things I've noticed about people researching for a spa is the questions and concerns are pretty common across the board. Price, therapy, electrical requirements, spa placement, spa delivery and set up, warranty issues, price, easy access for future maintenance, spa chemistry, customer support, price, service concerns, basic operation guidance, operation costs.... you get the picture. Did I mention PRICE? :D I could go on and on about how much someone really needs to know in order to feel comfortable when making the decision to get a spa and to really understand exactly what they are getting into.

I can completely understand the desire to get the best deal when faced with paying out thousands of dollars for something you've wanted for such a long time. And all of that stuff that comes on the spa sounds like loads of fun. I am a bit concerned though. I found myself reading over 50 posts so far of important questions that aren't being answered. Really important questions that you all should know from the beggining... don't you agree? I can sense that everyone is happy with the price (a major concern) but uneasy about what happens there-after. I wish I could answer a lot of these questions for you but many of them can be answered only by the company (Hydra spa?) that will help you with concern to the spa you have purchased (or are thinking of purchasing) from Costco.

The reason why I post in here is to be as helpful as possible and I see a lot of folks regarding this spa specifically that are struggling to get the information that should be readily available to you all right from the get go. Eagerly anticipating your new spa shouldn't be a scramble for help.

Yes, a local dealer of X-Y-Z spa may be considerably more money up front (maybe not after everything issaid and done) but may be worth it. Everyone of these questions should be answered without you even having to ask for the information. All costs should be explained up front regarding not just the initial cost of the spa at Costco... ask about cost of operaton, delivery, hardcover, chemicals, and definately specifics about Warranty and process for future concerns as there may be significant cost involved there. Maybe even a little guidance on how to transport the spa to your home from the professionals that you purchased it from instead of the harrowing trial and error of past purchasers.

Ok... maybe I rambled a bit but I'm interested to get feed back on this. I truely wish the best for all of you and hope that you get your answers and will have the support needed in the future at your fingertips.

I'll answer what I can:

1) Electrical is required (not sure 220 or 110). Usually a GFCI (ground fault circuit interupter) is provided by the electrician as it's not to code to have spa built with one anymore (I think). This can be provided by an electritian. It's good to get an estimate prior to installation to be best prepared. Most of the time they'll do the work after the spa has been set in place unless long trenches are needed to lay the wire to the area designated.

2) Chemical care is very important! A local pool or spa company can give you water test but I've heard that some salespeople can be a bit stand-offish about it if the spa was purchased elsewhere. A reputable person will give you the guidance needed to get going and be there to support you. If you find someone like that... you may want to consider getting your next spa from them.

3) Order a manual right away... and unlike other manuals.... yes, you may want to read it. <_< You want to protect your investment with proper care!

4) Delivery of your spa may possibly be done by a local delivery company(insured preferrably). If damage occurs during delivery who will be responsible? I hope not you!

5) If your thinking about getting a spa (from anywhere!)... have everything specified on the order form. If you have one and don't have this information, request it right away. You will want to know the fine print!

6) The return policy is awsome! And it's true you can get a bunch of guys to do just about anything for a six pack, some pizza and a night in the spa! (good times... good times) But there are other costs involved.... electric connect and disconnect, renting equipment for delivery, crane fees if one was used.

Check out how much it will really cost you to have a cost-co spa... not just your pocket book is important. Piece of mind and future support is a cost in my book. ;)

Let me know if this helps. :wub:

hi just bought at costco (6k) a keys backyard discovery 651 {a 3 9hp pump) spa, we receievd a keys backyard KBSB4395 , a 2 pumps, one with 2 speeds. we have installed it and will try it in next pm

any comments, does a discovery 651 = kbbsb4395 a disappointing correlation/confusion?!

can someone post about monthly electric bill rise, conflicting reports on this tub $30. a month all the way to $100. I know it depends on how much you use, but how about an average? Thanks

I have owned this spa for 7 months. We live in NW Oregon and the biggest monthly increase we have seen is about $30 during the first month we had it (used it every day, sometimes multiple times :D). Be aware that the spa comes from the factory programmed with a 12 hr a day filter cycle, it has a 24 hr. circ. pump so this is complete overkill, but easily changed through the control panel. The spa is insulated, a layer of foam on the tub and insulation on the skirting. I am going to add a radient barrier layer of insulation to the inside of the cabinet (material cost $50) to match the configuration of the factory Hydro Spas. I have found the spa to be well made with good quality motors/electronics and far superior to the ones available from Home Depot or Walmart. We have had no problems with it and are very happy with our purchase. I would have no problem recommending this spa to anyone as long as they understand that the they are responsible for learning how to understand, operate and maintain the spa. If you need or want hand holding, better spend the $2K to $3K more and purchase from a dealer.

NightRyder

So this Costco spa sounds good -- the one on their web site, not so good. What is the configuration for this elusive Elita Platnum spa? how many motors, jets? Lounger or no? We may begin pursuing this, as it seems Costco often offers a good deal for the $$. And excellent return service if not satisfied. Thanks!

Jets: 60

Pumps: 2 High Flow Pumps & Circulation Pump

Controls: Electronic Control System

Electrical Ratings: 240 Volt / 48 AMP / 60 AMP G.F.C.I

Heater: 240 Volt Heater

Ozone: Ultra-Pure Ozone System

Filter: 24 Hour Crystal-Clear Filtration 100 SQ Foot System

Pillows: Four Comfort Design Pillows

Cover: Deluxe Cover 5"x3" Tapered Foam Construction W/Safety Locks

Elite Extras: Waterfall, Aromatherapy & Stereo CD/AM/FM Radio System W/Pop Up Speakers & Cover Lift

Light: LED Muti-Colors

Seats: 6 Adults

Construction: Shell Insulated, Foam Barrier W/Full Maintenance-Free Cabinet

Gallons: 325 US Gallons (Average)

Dimensions: 87"x 87"x 37"

NightRyder

The Platinum Elite is my first spa and I enjoy it very much. When I saw it at Costco for $3500, I grabbed it and haven't seen anything better for the money since. Anything else that comes close to the features this one has will go for more than twice as much. This spa sold out of all our local Costcos in a matter of 1 or 2 days.

I did have a problem with the stereo power supply but EliteSpas took care of that right away. Service was excellent - they responded quickly.

Installing this was a summer project , the hot tub is in a 12x16 Gazebo on a cement slab.

The only negative comments about this spa are coming from those who spent way too much on their spa and are now jealous of this one.

Enjoy,

Dave

Renton, WA

According to the Elite spec sheet, they are well-insulated. Can anyone out there make some kind of remark about the change in their electric bill as a result of hooking up their spa?

Yes, I had a similar model purchased online as a Hydro Spa, (I dealt wilt "Alan") as the people above did. My electric bill jumped to near $100 more even in the summer months!

According to the Elite spec sheet, they are well-insulated. Can anyone out there make some kind of remark about the change in their electric bill as a result of hooking up their spa?

Yes, I had a similar model purchased online as a Hydro Spa, (I dealt with "Alan" and Michelle, and Mark, and Hank) as the people above did. My electric bill jumped to near $100 or more even in the summer months (to compensate for a defective heater).

I agree with Amanda here. I owned one of these Hydro Spas, what I saved in money, I paid dearly for in AGGREVATION......BUT with a dealer/vendor (Costco) nearby and a good return policy, you folks should have a better time getting a refund if it should become necessary.

(I bought one online through Discount Spas Direct and I had to beg, plead, and threaten legal action to get Hydro Spa to refund my defective spa that has been collecting dust in my back yard since last June....they JUST picked it up yesterday!!!!!).

...ALSO, if you purchase this spa, and anything happens, do not necessarily expect reliable customer service from the manufacturer. If you are directed to call Hydro Spa (Alan, Mark, Hank, Michelle.....might try to blame you for problems that arise). I would advise you to write down every time you call, who you speak with, what is discussed and promised within what time frame. ..OR communicate via e-mail so that you can have everything documented.

Be careful about the innocent information you offer them that might be spun around in a way for them not to be responsible: For example: The people that just wrote about their difficult ride home on this forum, might have, all but voided their warrenty now, because it was my experience, that Hydro Spa's policy was to BLAME THE CUSTOMER FIRST, or the local repair guy, or the electrician, or the dealer.....if a problem arises now (as I believe some could very well experience in the next 3 months, if you sacrifice too much by way of quality for savings, like I did)....I believe, they will look for ways to blame it on you and they read the postings on this forum so watch out! If something does go wrong, like broken or falling out jets, heater, etc...Don 't give up!!!!!... and don't believe them, check their reputation with the BBB, they have a history of doing this. Understand your rights, and it will give you a clear mind to deal with them!

But AGAIN, COSTCO's return policy sounds awesome.

Veronica:

While I sympathize with your bad experience with Hydro Spa, this thread is specifically about the Costco Platinum Elite. While it is always useful to hear others experience with different vendors, there is a point at which a valid complaint turns into vengeful bashing. IMHO you have crossed this line and if you continue down this path it will cause readers not only discount your experience, but to question your credibility. This is not an invitation to an argument, just some friendly advice.

NightRyder

Veronica:

While I sympathize with your bad experience with Hydro Spa, this thread is specifically about the Costco Platinum Elite. While it is always useful to hear others experience with different vendors, there is a point at which a valid complaint turns into vengeful bashing. IMHO you have crossed this line and if you continue down this path it will cause readers not only discount your experience, but to question your credibility. This is not an invitation to an argument, just some friendly advice.

NightRyder

I believe she is honestly trying to give fair warning to folks getting a spa that is RELATED to the brand that she had purchased even though it is sold by another company (Costco). She is understandably upset by her experience with Hydro Spa and wants to try to help others not go down the same path. It sounds like the situation has been resolved now that Hydro spa has taken the spa back. Costco customers may have a different experience as the return policy is different. Although she is upset by the whole thing, I think her point is valid as the costco spa is made by this same company, isn't it?

I believe she is honestly trying to give fair warning to folks getting a spa that is RELATED to the brand that she had purchased even though it is sold by another company (Costco). She is understandably upset by her experience with Hydro Spa and wants to try to help others not go down the same path. It sounds like the situation has been resolved now that Hydro spa has taken the spa back. Costco customers may have a different experience as the return policy is different. Although she is upset by the whole thing, I think her point is valid as the costco spa is made by this same company, isn't it?

I so did not mean to offend! If I had a Costco nearby, I would high tail it over there and check out the spa's given all the positive things written here! The thing that promted my response at all, was reading that some people are being directed to Hydro Spa's customer service line, and to "Alan" et. al. which suggests that they might be at least the manufacturer of some of these spas. If that is the case, I feel obliged at the very least to encourage and empower folks on here, ONLY IF they have problems and furthermore would be happy to personally share my experience with them if the going gets tough. This site helped me get some satisfaction, and if I could help, in any way someone else who might fall victim to the rare instance of less- than dilligent accountability by any spa manufacturer, like I wish I had had, you can bet I have been motivated to try and return the favor and be there for them. That's not wrong is it?

But what I really hope and wish, is that these people have no problems whatsoever and totally enjoy their spa's, because as I have stated before, the similar product I purchased as my first spa (with similar specs you have listed above Nightryder) when it worked, was FANTASTIC and made me a new spa owner FOR LIFE! The experience of the seats, pressure of the jets, ease of water care, etc....were all fine, it was the service, the very same number and person listed above, that broke down too often when things went wrong that compelled to me to write. Again, I appologize if the two are unrelated, but I read these comments to understand that Hydro Spa is the manufacturer of at least some portion of these spas while Costco is the vendor. Just trying to keep them honest.

• 3 weeks later...

10/30/05...I am in Thousand Oaks, CA and I am looking for a Platinum Elite Spa at Costco...Has anyone seen one here in Southern California?

It sounds like a great spa for the $$$...I'm sure I could get better if I spent thousands more but my budget is less then $4,000...

The item # is 876912..

Thanks for any help.

• 2 months later...

Ouch, no dealer support with a Costco model. Have you had any problems so far other than high electric bills? I doubt it's a full foamed spa. Do you now how many Kwh's your costco spa consumes per month? If not, how much extra is your electric bill? What part of the country are you in?

I've never seen a spa at my local Costco. I buy absolutely everything that I can from Costco because of their return policy but a spa would scare me. I guess if you run into real problems you can always take it back and buy a name brand spa (Sundance, Caldera, Jacuzzi, Coleman, Marquis, Hotspring, D1, Artesian, Artic, etc.) from a dealer who will give you warrantee support after the sale. The money you saved on the spa may be spent in the long run on electricity and service bills. How much was the spa if I can ask? I hope it works out for you.

Oh, I found this link and it actually looks pretty decent. Who makes it for Costco?

Costco Spa

Sorry, its the elite platinum that they sell at costco. I love the tub, but we were kinda shocked at the energy bill we got after the first month of operation. Looking for ways to cut back a bit.

The spa is made by Hydro spa out of Florida . They carry all parts as it is a spa that they carry but have slightly altered it with additional features for costco. I did have a cracked panel on the spa at time of purchase, and although they sent me the wrong panel twice, they have not presented any problems at all and I expect the correct panel to be here any day.

I love the spa. It has many features of a more expensive model. As for the energy costs, I really have no way of judging as this is the first North Carolina winter in our new house, and we have no history by which to compare. Our gas bill was also very high, which would have nothing to do with the spa, so I guess it is a wait and see situation.

I noticed the last time that I was at costco that they have slightly altered the cpa to include 5 more jets and added a CD controller where it can be reached from inside the spa, one of my only complaints about the one that we have. They also raised the price $500 over the $3400 that we paid. Lifes full of its little tradeoffs I suppose.

OK, getting back to your original question. It shouldn't cost you hardly anything to run your 24 hour circ pump. For a Hotspring spa they claim it takes less energy than a 75W light bulb. I'm not sure what kind of circ pump is in your spa however. Maybe one of the spa techs can chime in.

By the way, how much was your electric bill?

The spa is made by Hydro spa out of Florida . They carry all parts as it is a spa that they carry but have slightly altered it with additional features for costco. I did have a cracked panel on the spa at time of purchase, and although they sent me the wrong panel twice, they have not presented any problems at all and I expect the correct panel to be here any day.

I love the spa. It has many features of a more expensive model. As for the energy costs, I really have no way of judging as this is the first North Carolina winter in our new house, and we have no history by which to compare. Our gas bill was also very high, which would have nothing to do with the spa, so I guess it is a wait and see situation.

I noticed the last time that I was at costco that they have slightly altered the cpa to include 5 more jets and added a CD controller where it can be reached from inside the spa, one of my only complaints about the one that we have. They also raised the price $500 over the $3400 that we paid. Lifes full of its little tradeoffs I suppose.

I have no problem with the circulation pump. It also has a preprogramed deal that turns the spa on automatically and runs it full blast for a minimum of one hour a day. That is what I am trying to deactivate. Our Electric bill was $200, which does not sound too bad, except for the fact that the house is heated with gas, cooking is gas, and the water heater is gas. That was an additional $300.

I have no problem with the circulation pump. It also has a preprogramed deal that turns the spa on automatically and runs it full blast for a minimum of one hour a day. That is what I am trying to deactivate. Our Electric bill was $200, which does not sound too bad, except for the fact that the house is heated with gas, cooking is gas, and the water heater is gas. That was an additional $300.

To deactivate the anti-stagnation cycle...

1. Hold the Light button down for 5 seconds or until the display changes from temp to a single digit number.

2. Use the down arrow pad and set the number to 0.

3. Press the Light button again.

NightRyder

• 1 month later...

Hello All;

I appreciated the info provided in the formums and wanted to provide some feedback as I bought the Costco spa in January.

The price delivered was as quoted, and delivery was in two weeks.

The spa is shipped vertical on a large pallet. In my case the pallet had been damaged. The trailer had a drop gate. I moved the Spa using a trailer with a ramp. At +/- 900 pounds is was a bit bulky and rigging skills are required. This is not a simple object to move!

Upon opening I noticed some ice in the wrapping and some white mold on the inner frame and floor. I photo documented. Otherwise the spa was perfect.

Electrical hookup and startup were simple. Startup was flawless. No leaks or freeze up related problems were noted. I did note some corrosion on the screws that hold on the service cover, and replace them with better screws.

The finish was excellent and jets of good quality and as advertised. Noted that controller now says HyrdoSpa. Heat up is about 5-6 degrees/hr. Performance of pumps and air systems is excellent. 4 friends with various spas have tried it out and agree this is better than their tubs.

Top came with lift which was easy to install and works well.

The spa has used very little in the way of chemicals. (Using BaquaSpa). Ozonator must be functioning well.

I have been down to 0 degrees with no problems.

Inner cones of 2 nozzles did pop out, but went back in with no problem,

Tha large water volume and added depth of one of the seats is great. The four unique corner seats and nozzles are a nice feature. The tub takes 6 confortably with little water loss.

Thus far, the tub appears to be a good bargain