Can I Cut Up An Old Tub With A Sawzall?

gordholio99

A poster by the name of "north of boston" mentioned something in another thread that interested me, so rather than hijacking that thread, I thought I'd ask about it here instead.

The short question: Can a "sawzall" be used to cut up an old hot tub? I have a very old hot tub (23 years) that I've had advertised (for free) for about a month in my local craigslist. I've tried my best to recycle/reuse it, but nobody is biting. So it's now come to the point where I really need to get rid of it. If I *could* cut it up with a sawzall, I could package the pieces up in my minivan and take them to the dump in two loads. It would save me a lot of money over the $400 I've been quoted by local spa-moving companies to take it away.

So...will a sawzall really do the trick? Will it really cut through a shell, etc without breaking on me? Has anyone done this?

A poster by the name of "north of boston" mentioned something in another thread that interested me, so rather than hijacking that thread, I thought I'd ask about it here instead.

The short question: Can a "sawzall" be used to cut up an old hot tub? I have a very old hot tub (23 years) that I've had advertised (for free) for about a month in my local craigslist. I've tried my best to recycle/reuse it, but nobody is biting. So it's now come to the point where I really need to get rid of it. If I *could* cut it up with a sawzall, I could package the pieces up in my minivan and take them to the dump in two loads. It would save me a lot of money over the $400 I've been quoted by local spa-moving companies to take it away.

So...will a sawzall really do the trick? Will it really cut through a shell, etc without breaking on me? Has anyone done this?

Alternatively, you could try listing it for 100 bucks on craigslist and let people talk you down on it. People don't see any perceived value in something that's free on craigslist - at least that's been my issue with old couches and such. You let them talk you down to nothing and you've got it moved. Just a thought.

Also, you could look into seeing if there is a freecycle list for your area, you might find more do-it-yourselfers on that.

I love my sawzall (Reciprocating saw genericallly)! It really comes in handy at times.

Yes it will cut right through a tub with no problems.

One other thought is to advertise it as a Koi Pond!?!?!?!? Looks to me an old hot tub would make a really neat fish pond for the back yard...

A reciprocating saw will work wonderfully.

I have cut a few cars in half with them and I can say that a hottub will not slow it down for a second.

For more fun, use a chainsaw....now that sounds like fun to me!!!! (Just hold on, don't want you cutting your face off when it kicks back.)

I am going to do it after the spring weather arrives.

I'll flip it over.

Step 1 is to remove all the side panels. Step 2 will be to remove the foam. Step 3 will be to remove the mechanics and controls (which are still working) and will be given to a local spa shop if they want them. Step 4 - remove the wood and PVC pipe.

All that will be left is the shell.

I will be wearing a mask and goggles. Fiberglass and PVC are nasty if their shavings are inhaled.

I tried the Craigslist gig. Yeah, you get some e-mails and calls (and one idiot who asked if he could get on our invite list to any hot tub party) but no one was seriously interested.

I like a chainsaw because it is allot quicker. But it's messier. Make sure you have a rake if your on grass and a course broom if your on concrete. For disposal I never take nothing out and just cut around metal (control box, heater, pumps) otherwise plumbing, cabinet, shell and insulation, zip right through it. Tip it on it's side and start hackin pieces off and throw them in the truck. Expect to ruin a chain so have a spare. A big hammer and a wrecking bar are neccesitys. 30 minutes-2men. 100 plus disposal fee 45 bucks.

A sawzall will work to, double the time!!! Use a corded one, you'll go through a pile of batteries on a cordless. Skill saw with a carbide tipped blade works good to, not as versitile as a sawzall.

It doesn't happen to be a blue ridge brand does it? I lost the filter cover from mine during transport home can't seem to find a replacement. If I should be lucky enough that your HT is a blue ridge I would be interested in pumps, controlls, heater, ect. and wouldn't care to make a reasonable offer and pay shipping.

Thanks again everyone. Some of you guys are real comedians. NOT! :-)

JBuck, no, it's a Beachcomber. And the enitre spa pack (heater, motor, pump) is already history.

Hmmm.....do you think you could tape the cover on real good and put some explosives inside????

That might really be fun, and quick as all hell!