Any Negatives - Hot Springs

Tubber McGee

Ok...so I have been on this site for a few months and after researching, asking many questions, and reading daily, I am ready to make the plunge! I have decided on the Hot Springs Sovereign!

After reading many many many posts - I have learned what spas not to purchase due to reading negative comments about many different spa brands! I have read minimal to zero negative comments about purchasing a Hot Springs (Watkins)! seems like I only read good things! so..before I make the plunge - can anyone tell me any negative things regarding Hot Springs or any reason why I shoud not purchase a Hot Spring!

Speak now or forever hold your peace!

Ok...so I have been on this site for a few months and after researching, asking many questions, and reading daily, I am ready to make the plunge! I have decided on the Hot Springs Sovereign!

After reading many many many posts - I have learned what spas not to purchase due to reading negative comments about many different spa brands! I have read minimal to zero negative comments about purchasing a Hot Springs (Watkins)! seems like I only read good things! so..before I make the plunge - can anyone tell me any negative things regarding Hot Springs or any reason why I shoud not purchase a Hot Spring!

I know your looking for negatives, but here is another positive. We just purchased a single owner 1996 hotspring tub from the mild climate of the central ca coast with all service records. It still has the original heater and main pump. The circ pump has been replaced twice (last in 2003) and I just replaced the thermister. Looks and functions great. Not bad for 14 years old.

FWIW, I chose Sundance Chelsea after originally thinking I wanted the HS. I loved the way the HS looked, but the wet-test resulted in me buying the 780 series Sundance significantly cheaper than the HS's I was looking at. I liked the Sundance better once I got in it.

HS is obviously a good brand, and somebody else may have chosen the HS over a Sundance, or any other top brand like D1. I suggest you do some testing before settling.

The only issue I have had is the availablity of parts if you are in Canada. They don't have as strong of a dealer network in Canada as in the US. I believe that it is better to stick to the brands that are made in the counrty of origin. The dealer networks and supply of parts/service are better

Granted I sell Hot Spring and therefore work with them daily, but I really can't think of any real negatives. If there are any, I'm probably blinded by my love for them. Maybe it's like being "in love", you just don't see the other person's faults.

That being said, Happy Valentines day to all you married folks.

Happy Soaking! Congratulations making your decision, and getting through the buying process.

i don't sell them but they are a very good brand, that shows in the longevity...just like D1, Sundance, Jacuzzi, each of us salesman on here have our favorites, but to each his own, just like Jeremiah likes Hot Springs, i like the D1 and H20 brand...and i am very lucky to sell those brands. i do believe there is not best spa, otherwise there would be no competitors out there.everyone has to put a spin on them.

The only issue I have had is the availablity of parts if you are in Canada. They don't have as strong of a dealer network in Canada as in the US. I believe that it is better to stick to the brands that are made in the counrty of origin. The dealer networks and supply of parts/service are better

How is shipping from California to Ohio much different than shipping from California to Ontario? Maybe it'll take another day or two to get there but other than that a US manufacturer should be able to support their Canadian dealers just as well as their US dealers and I don't see a languague barrier (we've seen Strange Brew, we know how to speak Canadian). If someone said you shouldn't buy Arctic or Beachcomber in the States for the same reason I'd scratch my head at that too. Of course the strength of your dealer is key in all situations.

the only things that I can think of even though minor. You must turn air control on to use some of the jets full feature, like moto massage. having to many filters that can get pricey. having to use there cover lift which if you don't it voids the warranty and attaches to the cover so all replacement cover must come from a hot spring dealer. I also think the control systems are in spas are very basic unless you want add remotes radio etc. makes you call dealer for answers because the spa will not tell you what is wrong with it. I don't know were you live but they also do not freeze protection if that circ pump dies.

They do make a good product and as stated before there is no clear number 1. buy what you like about a spa these are just my opinions and yes I sell them

I do agree that the distance is much the same, it usually is getting it over the border which makes for some problems. If you are going to order 1-2 parts, it is much more of a hassle than ordering in bulk. The currency charged is another problem when quoting a price for a small part. It is much easier and comfortable ordering parts from a local distribution network. I just wished that Ontario wholesalers would carry more of the US Manufacturers parts. Might be a business plan here !

Don't want to get into a Buy Canadian Buy USA debate........

How is shipping from California to Ohio much different than shipping from California to Ontario? Maybe it'll take another day or two to get there but other than that a US manufacturer should be able to support their Canadian dealers just as well as their US dealers and I don't see a languague barrier (we've seen Strange Brew, we know how to speak Canadian). If someone said you shouldn't buy Arctic or Beachcomber in the States for the same reason I'd scratch my head at that too. Of course the strength of your dealer is key in all situations.

I think all Hotsprings parts and equipment are proprietary which means the big component manufactures make parts especially for the spa manufacture and wont sell to anybody outside the dealer network. This is a problem if there is not a local dealer around to help you in a winter emergency because you local spa repair man cant get parts at a good price.

Correct me if im wrong

I think all Hotsprings parts and equipment are proprietary which means the big component manufactures make parts especially for the spa manufacture and wont sell to anybody outside the dealer network. This is a problem if there is not a local dealer around to help you in a winter emergency because you local spa repair man cant get parts at a good price.

Correct me if im wrong

some of watkins heaters are now available from Horizon spa parts. Pumps can be subbed with aqua flo xp2 pumps. circ pumps are available but not that little thing they use but in a pinch laing pump will work. control systems are the problem and are best come from manufacture. Hydro quip does make pack that can run a watkins product if it will fit in the cabinet

I have a Hot Springs spa and while nobody seems to want to owe up to anything they don't like about theirs, YES, there are some negatives. Here are two -- I hate that:

(1) The name "Hot Springs" is two words, sounds like I'm talking about a town in Arkansas (and Clinton is SO over), and not space-age spiffy; and

(2) my 1996 (Prodigy) model still works like it's brand new, precluding me from purchasing something with surround-sound home theater, oxygen bar, and automatic feather massagers already installed.

But in all fairness to me I was new and naive when I bought it and swear I didn't know I'd have to live with these egregious shortcomings. Oh well. Live and learn.

;)

I wet-tested similar sized (no-lounge) spas from all the major hot tub manufacturers, e.g., D1, Sundance, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, Artesian, et al, during my search for a hot tub. (I did not wet-test Marquis as there was no dealer support within 150 miles). I chose the Sundance Optima after all was said and done. I am not a dealer, service tech, nor do I own stock in any given hot tub manufacturer.

One negative feature with the Hot Springs design is this...Hot Springs puts the filtration system in the corner of the tub. This is a premium seat position. I do not understand why Hot Springs have at least one model of hot tub with four corner seats.

One other negative...I found their footwell jets to be generally poorer than other brands, at least on their models that do not have a lounger.

Just my opinion. What matters ultimately is what you like the best. The rest is irrelevant.

gman :D

I have a Hot Spring Vanguard, which has been very reliable. It's about 7 years old now, and so far has had two heaters (one on warranty) one new circulator pump (under warranty) one new heater relay board, two covers, and about 4 sets of filters.

Given the amount this tub is used, and the pleasure we get from it, I'm completely satisfied!

Tim/