Newbie Requests Help For Swim Spa Decision

desertmarcy

Hi all, I just discovered this great forum and just in time. I've been researching swim spas. Had for years been drooling over the Endless Pool, not realizing there were better options out there. I have tried out an EP at the factory and really liked the feel of the propeller-driven water, but I don't like the idea of the vinyl liner and their silver/copper water purification system is pricey. I would prefer an ozonator. I looked at SwimEx since someone on another forum said it was "the best". Disadvantage to me is the price, plus ideally I would have a swim area and spa in one unit, but with separate heating. I looked at Master Spa, but after reading all the negative comments about it, no way, plus their sales rep. still has not answered my 2 emails after 3 days. Does not give me a lot of confidence in their customer service. This pool will be located in an as yet not constructed sunroom/greenhouse in hot, sunny Tucson. Does anybody know of good local swim spa dealers here? I'm sure if I go with some place like SwimEx, I will be paying a lot in shipping. I emailed them just yesterday, so still waiting to here more. I want something that will last and not give me a lot of maintenance. I don't expect to move from this residence, so I plan for the long term. Also, outside of the initial investment, I'd like a pool that has minimal continual costs compared to other brands--so looking for good insulation, lower cost of upkeep in chemicals, and since I'm a newbie, I'm not sure what else I should be considering. I'll go solar for heating if I can afford it. Can anybody tell me what the monthly costs are to run an ozonator? I do like the propeller or paddlewheel concepts versus jets, although I admit I have never tried one with jets, just going on what others say. Sorry for so many questions. I hope I've given enough information about my "ideals" that some of you can chime in with appropriate advice.

I have a Masterspa Crosstrainer that I like so far, I've had it just over a year. If you search you may find some writeups I did. Basicly, I got lucky, I found this forum after I bought it and I have to say it did not make me comfortable, but my dealer has been great to work with and so far so good. But it is a huge chunk of change so get a dealer you feel will work for you.

I would wet-test a jet version before buying.

Desertmarcy- regarding your ozone question... An ozonator doesn't cost much in electricity (pennies) to operate. Ozone is an oxidizer however, which does not provide sanitation by itself. It must be used with some type of sanitizer (e.g. chlorine / bromine / etc.). IIRC that the endless pool uses a salt water system for sanitation- ozone alone won't do the same thing, so I don't think you can really compare them.

+1 on wet testing a jetted swim spa. Also consider the logistics of heating all that water up for a soak (101 ish) and cooling it for a good swim workout (86 ish). Lot of BTU's there. Some have solved this with independent tub / pool sections. Some are all-in-one.

I have seen 1 sunbelt and 1 D1 they both were nice

Thanks for the responses. Both of these have swim jets instead of propeller system. What is everyone's experience with the swim jets? I have read people saying they do not give as smooth a current and can create bubbles.

I sell both styles, they both work well , i like the swim jets better. my preferance, the swim jets usually will have upper and lower jets. the idea is it will give you the upper cuurent as well as a lower current to help keep you up on the surface..... they are very adjustable to the user usaully individually, the swim jet i don't think they as adjustable, with what i have seen.....it really works..but i would try both out,,,

• 3 months later...

Happy with H2X Crosstrainer 2: We bought ours 20 months ago, have had zero problems and are very happy with it. Note that this is their smallest model, 12 x 8 ft., 1300 gals. It has swim jets at one end, spa seats at the other. (Their larger swim spas have a propeller system rather than jets. Like you my wife wanted an Extended Pool for years. When we saw the MS H2X she wanted to try it and was well please with swim.

She still swims occasionally but one or both of us is in it for the hot tub almost every day. We've had up to a dozen adults in it at patio parties, though it's usually just us two.

At first it doubled our electric use and tripled our bill (We were on tiered billing with PG&E). In July last year we got a 5 kW solar system. We are now on Time of Use billing with PG&E and expect to pay nothing, zero, zilch when we have our 'true-up' bill for the year. That is, we've not paid them anything since last summer and expect to pay them nothing ever again, In fact they may have to pay us a little. I had a timer installed so the spa never heats and filters at 'Peak Time'. Even if the spa is off for 10 hours, the temp falls maybe one-two degrees. (We usually have it at 101). I judge this to be very good insulation and cover. (Yes, I acknowledge to those in Calgary that in Menlo Park, CA we are surprised when winter temps go below 32. But we have cool nights, 45 degrees, in Spring and Fall when those 'cold' winter spots are in the 60s or higher at night.)

I can't comment on dealer service since we've needed none. But I do think it might have been better to buy through a dealer who was going to offer maintenance than through the 'fairground' spa show approach. In any case, I think one should be prepared to bargain price. These are as expensive as autos. Few of us would pay the asking price, including all the incidentals (heater, radio, delivery, undercoat) for a car, don't do it for a spa. And since there are lately more dealers offering something like these swim spas you can get them to compete. Though that's not a reason to take the cheapest.

About chems: I've lately come to the idea that these very large tubs are much easier to manage than the much smaller ones.