Pool Deck Repair/resurface Or Complete Redo

rwixom

I have an 18X35 vinyl inground with a pretty large surrounding deck. The deck is old and the cool (Kool?) deck is delaminating and cracking in places and there is one section where the underlying concrete should probably be repaired (extensive spider cracking). I've been getting quotes from local pool companies. One company said they could remove/repair the damaged cool-deck replace it and put a colored top coating that would make the entire deck match and look new. I would also have him extend the cool-deck onto our back patio so that the texture and color match for the entire back yard. The next guy said that the cool-deck shouldn't be repaired and the entire deck should be removed and re-poured with stamped concrete. The first option will cost me a $2500, while the second will cost $10-15K.

So, does anyone have experience with repairing, patching, and putting down cool-deck on existing concrete? Is this a bad idea? Sure, stamped concrete is gorgeous and certainly a solid fix, but I'd rather not invest $15k since I'm going to also replace the liner and heater this year.

Are there other options I should be considering? I've seen brochures for StarDeck and other acrylic coatings that look really fancy.

While your at it, does anyone have a strong opinion about brands of vinyl-liners?

Thanks,

Ryan

I have an 18X35 vinyl inground with a pretty large surrounding deck. The deck is old and the cool (Kool?) deck is delaminating and cracking in places and there is one section where the underlying concrete should probably be repaired (extensive spider cracking). I've been getting quotes from local pool companies. One company said they could remove/repair the damaged cool-deck replace it and put a colored top coating that would make the entire deck match and look new. I would also have him extend the cool-deck onto our back patio so that the texture and color match for the entire back yard. The next guy said that the cool-deck shouldn't be repaired and the entire deck should be removed and re-poured with stamped concrete. The first option will cost me a $2500, while the second will cost $10-15K.

So, does anyone have experience with repairing, patching, and putting down cool-deck on existing concrete? Is this a bad idea? Sure, stamped concrete is gorgeous and certainly a solid fix, but I'd rather not invest $15k since I'm going to also replace the liner and heater this year.

Are there other options I should be considering? I've seen brochures for StarDeck and other acrylic coatings that look really fancy.

While your at it, does anyone have a strong opinion about brands of vinyl-liners?

Thanks,

Ryan

DO NOT put cooldeck on existing concrete!! Traditional cooldeck will not bond very long to old concrete surfaces. I have used acrylic coatings for close to 20yrs. with great results. I always scrape off/remove cooldeck so that the substrate is exposed for the acylic deck coating to bond to.

The worst areas of your deck should be removed & replaced to insure long term good results. This likely will not have to involve the entire deck so your cost should be much less than a total break out / replacement of the entire deck.

As for vinyl liners, my suggestion is to avoid any liner made by Latham International. Good luck!!