My Arctic Spa Shopping Experience

dirty

well ive been luking around here for at least 6 month me and my wife decided we were finnally going to get a hot tubb the forum has been very helpfull with all the options out there a guy can get a little sick of the overwhelming amount of inf.. so here are the details we are in our lower 30s and are a family of 6 my area options we sundance, master spa, emerald, arctic, and hot springs(not a fan of full foam) after talking with all the dealers and 2 hot spring dealers i realized that i must have researched too much because i felt when i went in and got to visiting with the dealers i new more about thier spas than some off the dealers which eleimated the hot springs brand and the others were a lesser class spa(boxy) in my opinion so here is what i endend up with a arctic summet legend w aquatremmor i wet tested several models the summit was by far the most comfortable and plenty big enough for the whole family. with really powerfull jets as it should with 3 pumps

advice that i thought was a little much at first was wet test, if you are going to spend an absurd amount of money on something like a hot tubb and dont wet test you are crazy!!!it has to fit you not the other way around

second piece of advice i thought was great was dealer confidence i can totally see how a bad dealer can absolutly turn someone away from the purchase or repuchase of a pool or spa.once again this is a want to have not a need to have item!! im sure im not problem proof hopefully the dealer choice keeps that from being a bigger problem:)

the dealer i went with was devader pools and spa topeka ks i would recomend this dealer and have to any family member/friend of mine 4 friends have been there since. they seemed to specialize in hot tubs and pool and spa chemicals.

i am a newby this is just my opinion on my experience i dont know it all just what i like!

i have had the tub for a day so my 1.5hr soak was great a little prunny the install was on time and 3 hrs later i was waiting for heat to rise so far a great experience!!

as for the doubters or arctiic haters? i found it very comforting that james kierstad ( wrong spelling) has been on here and im sure at the plant trying to rectify a tarnished image by a few bad spas.. so here is a big thumbs up for arctic spas!!!!

as for the doubters or arctiic haters? i found it very comforting that james kierstad ( wrong spelling) has been on here and im sure at the plant trying to rectify a tarnished image by a few bad spas.. so here is a big thumbs up for arctic spas!!!!

In the month that I've had mine, I have a "two thumbs up" as well. I have to call the dealer with a couple questions, but I have wonderfully clear water, the onzen seems to be working, and I have not had to use many chemicals in it.

Arctic haters? That's awfully strong. I think the professionals here may be "haters" of the brands that we think scam people or individual dealers that leave customers out in the cold, etc. but I don't see Arctic hated. While they may not be a "top 5" pick of every person here I don't think anyone thinks a person would be making mistake if they got Arctic; they are respected.

Last week someone PM'd me saying they were on the lookout for a new spa and asked me what my top spa choices would be. I said something like "For me I'd look for Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance and if you're looking for more choices or don't have those I'd look for Artesian, Arctic and Beachcomber" which I think is what most would say or more (some would obviously put them higher than myself). I don't see the hater part.

yes smart or not the first soak was from 10pm to 1130 pm at night the last half hr was me not wanting to get outside in 12 degrees with the wind blowing and the temp started out at 104 and endedup at 101 when i got out,very pruned!!

maybe haters was strong i also used the word doubters maybe more suited but thats how i felt when i made my mind up on the purchase internet being the greatest rescource, thereis a lot of doubteers out there..... did not mean to offend the spatechs of the world just my much informed perception.

these forums are a great resource and for that reason only is the reason i felt i should relay my good experience, becouse this is what i was looking for when i would scour the net is possitive feedback/experiences the other thing was a lot of pics to see how different people set up thier tub..

i failed to mention that i placed my tub on a concrete pad i poured myself (4inches) and that i went with the ozone not the onzen system and i am going to use the aquafinese chem system i am very curios about this system does anyone have experience with it?

later dirty

I am just staring to test the aquafinese system myself before I start to sell it. Can't really find out what is in the product . Does anybody know ?

Hi Spa Party,

i have been using Aquafinesse myself and am happy with the product. Trying to find the ingredients though is like looking for the holy grail i think it is a guarded secret.

Dirty,

congrats on your new purchase.

well ive been luking around here for at least 6 month me and my wife decided we were finnally going to get a hot tubb the forum has been very helpfull with all the options out there a guy can get a little sick of the overwhelming amount of inf.. so here are the details we are in our lower 30s and are a family of 6 my area options we sundance, master spa, emerald, arctic, and hot springs(not a fan of full foam) after talking with all the dealers and 2 hot spring dealers i realized that i must have researched too much because i felt when i went in and got to visiting with the dealers i new more about thier spas than some off the dealers which eleimated the hot springs brand and the others were a lesser class spa(boxy) in my opinion so here is what i endend up with a arctic summet legend w aquatremmor i wet tested several models the summit was by far the most comfortable and plenty big enough for the whole family. with really powerfull jets as it should with 3 pumps

advice that i thought was a little much at first was wet test, if you are going to spend an absurd amount of money on something like a hot tubb and dont wet test you are crazy!!!it has to fit you not the other way around

second piece of advice i thought was great was dealer confidence i can totally see how a bad dealer can absolutly turn someone away from the purchase or repuchase of a pool or spa.once again this is a want to have not a need to have item!! im sure im not problem proof hopefully the dealer choice keeps that from being a bigger problem:)

the dealer i went with was devader pools and spa topeka ks i would recomend this dealer and have to any family member/friend of mine 4 friends have been there since. they seemed to specialize in hot tubs and pool and spa chemicals.

i am a newby this is just my opinion on my experience i dont know it all just what i like!

i have had the tub for a day so my 1.5hr soak was great a little prunny the install was on time and 3 hrs later i was waiting for heat to rise so far a great experience!!

Thumbs up to your Summit... I aboslutely love ours!

... second piece of advice i thought was great was dealer confidence i can totally see how a bad dealer can absolutly turn someone away from the purchase or repuchase of a pool or spa.once again this is a want to have not a need to have item!! im sure im not problem proof hopefully the dealer choice keeps that from being a bigger problem:)... so here is a big thumbs up for arctic spas!!!!

One word of caution about buying an Arctic spa, or other spa not made in the US. I bought an Arctic last June. So far, it has functioned as advertised and other than two embarrassing issues with the unit when it was delivered, I have been satisfied with it. However, if you live in the US, be aware that many spa dealerships have gone out of business during the past year due to the bad economy. My Arctic dealer was one of them. I am now left high and dry without an Arctic dealer to service my spa should it need such. This is an issue with any manufacturer who has very limited geographical representation in the States. My nearest Arctic dealer is now 180 miles away, in a much smaller venue that mine (Chicago area). Wonder if they can last out the bad times if a dealer in the affluent north suburbs of Chicago can't make it.

So, while I think Arctic makes a good product, the lack of local dealer support has made me less of a "fan". Please consider all the aspects of owning a spa not only now, but down the line. Had I known my dealer was readu to go belly up, I would not own an Arctic today. Make sure the dealer you buy from is a stable biz with a future. Had I done a little more homework on my local Arctic dealer, I would have found out they were already making ready to go under when I purchased the spa. I was actually lucky to have received the goods for which I paid them up-front.

There's no guarantee that any biz will there tomorrow, but do your homework on their viability. Also read VERY closely the Arctic warranty statements, as with any spa warranty from any company.

Thats why I believe it is almost AS IMPORTANT to check out the dealer selling the spa if not more important along with the manufacturer. Talking from experience in the pursuit to expand dealer networks especially out of the country , most manufacturers don't do there due diligence. I have seen Arctic , Dynasty, Beachcomber and even Hydropool deal with some people who shouldn't be selling spas. In the pursuit of expanding their business , they sometimes due more harm.

... second piece of advice i thought was great was dealer confidence i can totally see how a bad dealer can absolutly turn someone away from the purchase or repuchase of a pool or spa.once again this is a want to have not a need to have item!! im sure im not problem proof hopefully the dealer choice keeps that from being a bigger problem:)... so here is a big thumbs up for arctic spas!!!!

One word of caution about buying an Arctic spa, or other spa not made in the US. I bought an Arctic last June. So far, it has functioned as advertised and other than two embarrassing issues with the unit when it was delivered, I have been satisfied with it. However, if you live in the US, be aware that many spa dealerships have gone out of business during the past year due to the bad economy. My Arctic dealer was one of them. I am now left high and dry without an Arctic dealer to service my spa should it need such. This is an issue with any manufacturer who has very limited geographical representation in the States. My nearest Arctic dealer is now 180 miles away, in a much smaller venue that mine (Chicago area). Wonder if they can last out the bad times if a dealer in the affluent north suburbs of Chicago can't make it.

So, while I think Arctic makes a good product, the lack of local dealer support has made me less of a "fan". Please consider all the aspects of owning a spa not only now, but down the line. Had I known my dealer was readu to go belly up, I would not own an Arctic today. Make sure the dealer you buy from is a stable biz with a future. Had I done a little more homework on my local Arctic dealer, I would have found out they were already making ready to go under when I purchased the spa. I was actually lucky to have received the goods for which I paid them up-front.

There's no guarantee that any biz will there tomorrow, but do your homework on their viability. Also read VERY closely the Arctic warranty statements, as with any spa warranty from any company.

Grayslake,

I am sorry to hear that your dealer went out of biz. That is unfortunate. But, imo, I don't think that you should tell people to avoid Arctic just because your dealer went out of biz. As unfortunate as that is, there have been dealers that represent all different kinds of brands that have went out of biz over the last two years. Just in my local area the following brands of local dealers went out of biz: Cal Spas, Jacuzzi, & Beachcomber, plus some other smaller companies. Last year in Colorado, the at one time largest Cal Spa dealer shut its doors. I have also read other people reply that their local Hot Spring and Sundance dealer have gone out of biz. I guess my point is that in these times, any local dealer could be hurting and could go out of biz no matter what brand they sell. There was a local furniture store that has been in business for over 80 years that sold top of the line furniture that shut its doors at the end of the year, and know one saw that coming. I see what you are saying about having other closer local dealers to go to, but sometimes, depending on the brand, the next closet dealer may be over 200 miles away. That is not uncommon.

But, I do agree with you about researching your dealers before you buy. Ask for referrals and testimonials. Check with your local BBB to make sure they dont have a laundry list of complaints.

But isn't it the duty of the manufacturer to service anything under warranty, even if there isn't a dealer in the area? I realize the service *may" be slower, but is it not the responsibility of *any* manufacturer to make sure you're handled properly, even if that means contracting jobs out to local spa techs?

Yes it is.

But isn't it the duty of the manufacturer to service anything under warranty, even if there isn't a dealer in the area? I realize the service *may" be slower, but is it not the responsibility of *any* manufacturer to make sure you're handled properly, even if that means contracting jobs out to local spa techs?

Yes it is.

I agree with that.

My last spa - which I bought in 1999, was a Sequoia Spa. Good, high quality spa, but it began leaking in 2009 and it is now "yard art" (due to be cut up in the spring with a sawzall).

Two concerns I had - one, the dealer went into semi-retirement, then sold out to her brother. Since most dealers are small businessmen/women, there is always the risk that your dealer could disappear or switch gears, for any reason (retirement, financial, even death). Isn't much you can do about that.

Another concern - purchasing from an unknown company, or a small company, or an off-brand, etc., the manufacturer could go out of business at any time. Sequoia Spas, to the best of my knowledge, is GONE. There is a spa dealer in Arizona who picked up on the name, I don't believe there's any connection to the former spa manufacturer in Hesperia, CA. I never needed warranty service; and, academically speaking, the spa shell has a 15-year warranty with four years to go on it.

So with any purchase, there is always a risk. Spa companies are not huge conglomerates.

I chose Arctic *because* of the dealer support in my area *and* the factory technical support *and* the advanced technology. Late yesterday afternoon, I had some questions, and because my dealer / service had gone home and Arctic's facility is in the mountain time zone, I called them. Great answers, great guidance.

And there was a comment "outside the USA" -- Canada has a free-trade arrangement with the United States. As far as I'm concerned, that border between us does not exist. I'm very happy with my Arctic Spa purchase so far, very happy with the dealer and factory support, and also a very happy Arctic Spa user.