Heater Replacement

jeffr72

I have a 2002 HotSprings jetsetter and I noticed on the last fill the temperature rose very slowly. Now the temperature is dropping and I believe the heater needs replacement (feels warm to the touch).

Is this a difficult job ? I have basic plumbing skills.

thanks,

jeff

Not a difficult job but it may not be the heater. You should check the heater for continuity and the relay for voltage with a multimeter.

Which heater do you have on it? Black No-Fault6000 or a stainless No-Fault?

Not a difficult job but it may not be the heater. You should check the heater for continuity and the relay for voltage with a multimeter.

It has Watkins No-Fault 6000 on it. It has black covers on each end.

I'm not an electrical wiz, would need help checking continuity and voltage.

jeff

It has Watkins No-Fault 6000 on it. It has black covers on each end.

I'm not an electrical wiz, would need help checking continuity and voltage.

jeff

If you have or can borrow a multimeter, I would check for voltage first.

You would kill power to the tub. Open the IQ2020 black cover. Take the heater wires off from where they connect to the board. Turn power back on and test to see if there is voltage at the board (put the meter leads on the relay where the black and white heater wires were connected).

You should have either 110volts or 220 volts depending on how the tub is wired. If there is no voltage and the "heater on" light is lit red then the relay board is bad.

If there is voltage then more than likely the heater is bad....make sure the hi-limit button is not tripped. It is located on top of the heater under some tape.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if it's going to be the same on your tub, but ours wouldn't heat properly when just the low speed circulator was running. Turned out the pressure switch wasn't registering properly and the system wouldn't let the heater turn on. The heater felt warm but that was only because it would get hot when the pump was in high-speed. From the looks of it the heaters are pretty simple to replace. Just take care not to go forcing anything as PVC does not lend itself to being bent, especially in colder weather.