How To Service Pentair Whisper Flo 2 Hp Pump Seal

jose

I have a Pentair Whisper Flo 2HP pump that is leaking between the motor and main skimmer housing whete it bolts together. I would like to open it up and see what is actually damaged so I can get the parts. I am an avid DIY but need to know the basics and the gotchas I should watch out for in opening up the pump:

1. Turn power off to breaker

2. Loosen bolts between motor housing and main housing

3. Pull it apart

Anything else? When I replace the seal, any lubricant such as sillicone? etc etc etc

Thanks

Jose

• 1 month later...

When you remove your defuser and use your 1/2 open end wrench to hold the shaft from the back and spin of your impeller off. make sure you do not touch your new seal with your hands, use a paper towel or rubber gloves. New pump seals are just like expensive light bulbs, your finger grease can degrade the life expectancy. I believe that pump takes a PS-1000 pump seal or you can get an Aladdin pump seal, part number AS-1000 which is just as good as the pentair one. I recommend using a short piece of 1.25 PVC pipe to set the seal to motor side. Just tape the pipe lightly with a hammer and that seal should set in there just fine.