Should I Switch Form 1 1/2" To 2" Pvc Pipes?

Gavin

No need to premix the DE. Just pour it in the skimmer.

I think that the problem has been too low DE causing the fingers to get clogged up.

You will have to decide if the filter needs to be disassembled based on how clean you think the fingers are.

You can try backwashing and see where the pressure stays or you can disassemble and make sure that they're really clean.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to premix the DE. Just pour it in the skimmer.

I think that the problem has been too low DE causing the fingers to get clogged up.

You will have to decide if the filter needs to be disassembled based on how clean you think the fingers are.

You can try backwashing and see where the pressure stays or you can disassemble and make sure that they're really clean.

Thanks I will check the pressure and if its still low I guess for now I can just add 3lbs of DE and see how that works. I can always disassemble and clean it again at a later date.

the pressure was like 11psi but I decided not to backwash and just open the filter up. It was pretty clean inside apart from some clay looking substance (could be residue from the borax I put in yesterday and which I also saw a little bit in the pool) and some on the bottom of the filter bucket. so anyway I opened it up and hosed inside clean and also hosed the fingers clean. reassembled, primed and added about 4 to 4 1/2 lbs of DE.

I have one of those 1 gallon paint buckets and added 4 DE scoops to paint bucket level. I think the DE scoops when level are 1 lb but I just did heap scoops basically so I think the 1 gallon paint bucket holds a little over 4 lbs of DE.

will see how that works over the weekend.

I have a 1-pound Hayward DE scoop. Today, I measured that it holds about 48 fluid ounces. That works out to about 2.67 pounds per gallon or about 20 pounds per cubic foot.

DE is somewhat compressible and the bulk density can vary based on the exact composition of the DE and how compressed it is.

Can you measure how many fluid ounces your 1-pound DE scoop holds (using water)? Who is the maker of the scoop?

Diatomaceous earth has an apparent bulk density of about 20 pounds per cubic foot.

http://www.aquamagazine.com/articles/defau...x?a=257&z=0

Routine backwashing (sand filters and DE filters) and hosing off (cartridge elements) is dictated anytime a filter’s attached pressure gauge has climbed 8-10 PSI above the system’s clean-filter pressure. Additionally, DE filter grids, Perflex fingers, and cartridge elements need to be cleaned once a season to remove oils and scale/calcification.

The common and accepted way of cleaning these elements and grids is (after hosing off dirt and debris) to let them soak in a muriatic (hydrochloric) acid solution. The concentration of the acidic mixture varies widely, and highly concentrated solutions can damage decorative cement or nearby objects if technicians are not careful.

The purpose of an acid bath is to remove scale and other minerals from the fabric of the filters. But Wait! The more common problem that clogs filter elements is body oil build up. These oils and greases need to be removed first.

An acid bath will not remove oils. In fact, it will actually embed the oils into the fabric and make the filter have short filter runs. As oils are embedded in the fabric, the filter element becomes difficult to thoroughly clean, which can eventually require the filter element to be replaced.

So, before acid washing filter elements, wash them with dishwasher detergent or a solution of TSP (Tri-Sodium Phosphate).

Remove the elements from the filter and hose them off with a Hayward Jet-Action Cleaning Wand or forceful garden hose. Fill a large plastic container with the warm water, slowly mix in about a ½-cup of detergent, then soak the elements for approximately 3-4 hours. After soaking, rinse off the elements again – and do so thoroughly so you don’t wind up with detergent bubbles in the pool!

The detergent or TSP bath can then be followed with an acid bath to remove any scale buildup. If unsure whether there is scale on the filter elements, carefully apply 1-2 drops of acid onto the elements. If you notice any foaming, the elements need an acid bath.

If the filter elements are relatively new and not too scaled, a mild mixture of one (1) part acid to four (4) parts water may be used to achieve a good cleaning. If the elements are badly scaled or look old and poorly maintained, increase the strength of the acid bath to a 1:1 mixture. Soak the grids in the acid bath until the foaming stops. Then carefully remove the elements and hose off thoroughly.

https://www.totallyhayward.com/techServices...Splash_4-62.pdf

It's important to understand that the density of DE is different from the "Apparent bulk density".

The actual density is about 144 pounds per cubic foot while the "Apparent bulk density" is about 20 pounds per cubic foot.

Can you measure the volume of your DE scoop using water?

yes good idea will measure it, thanks. B)

the 4 1/2 pounds to start up I added the other day worked! Thanks. B) filter didn't clog over the weekend and pressure stay at 11psi.

so need enough DE to coat the fingers. without enough DE the dirt was coating the fingers instead and reducing flow and raising filter pressure.