Help! I Left On "backwash" For 1 Hour.

halikias

My filter comes on at 11pm. I didn't realize I had switched to backwash mode until I heard air in the lines at midnight.

What now? I guess there is pretty good chance I've destroyed the filter grids.

Do I have to take the filter apart, or is there any way I can just add to DE powder and observe the pressure or the water?

UGH!

My filter comes on at 11pm. I didn't realize I had switched to backwash mode until I heard air in the lines at midnight.

What now? I guess there is pretty good chance I've destroyed the filter grids.

Do I have to take the filter apart, or is there any way I can just add to DE powder and observe the pressure or the water?

UGH!

have a second person watch the return lines as you add de. If water comes out clear your grids should be ok. easiest way of testing

Gavin,

Thats not a good way to drain the pool. If you have ever taken the filter apart, you'll notice that all the dirt is on the outside of the element, filter bundle, etc. When you are backwashing, all the water is going the other way, so any debris, dirt, whatever is going into the inside of the filter. Hopefully it will all work it's way out when you put it back into the proper direction, But depending on what got sent in, may not come out. The next time you want to back wash to drain, take the filter media out first!

Gavin,

Thats not a good way to drain the pool. If you have ever taken the filter apart, you'll notice that all the dirt is on the outside of the element, filter bundle, etc. When you are backwashing, all the water is going the other way, so any debris, dirt, whatever is going into the inside of the filter. Hopefully it will all work it's way out when you put it back into the proper direction, But depending on what got sent in, may not come out. The next time you want to back wash to drain, take the filter media out first!

even a DE filter? I thought the water goes in and swirls around the filter and then out through the drain in the bottom. The water in my DE filter doesn't go through the return and then out the bottom to backwash (in reverse). just comes in the bottom of the filter and swirls around the flex tubes and out through the bottom backwash drain. only a little water gets to the return. most gets backwashed out. Do I have this wrong? when I drained my pool before there was still a little flow coming from the return...no suction from the return jets.

When you backwash (most filters) the b/w valve redirects where the water enters the tank. Normally the water enters the tank and must go thru the filter to exit the tank. In backwash, the water enters the "clean side" of the filter and must go thru the filter (The opposite direction) then thru the backwash line.

The EC-65 is a little different from other DE filters. It does not have a multiport or a slide valve. It really isn't backwashable like other DE filters. To drain water from the pool, you can just partially open the drain line valve and you won't lose too much DE.

To backwash an EC-65, you turn off the pump and then "Bump" the DE off of the fingers using the bump handle to shake the fingers so that the DE falls to the bottom of the filter and then you open the drain valve to the filter and turn on the pump to flush out the DE.

The "backwash" valve for an EC-65 is the valve at the bottom of the filter that is connected to a drain line.

superde.jpg

EC65-parts.jpg

The EC-65 is a little different from other DE filters. It does not have a multiport or a slide valve. It really isn't backwashable like other DE filters. To drain water from the pool, you can just partially open the drain line valve and you won't lose too much DE.

To backwash an EC-65, you turn off the pump and then "Bump" the DE off of the fingers using the bump handle to shake the fingers so that the DE falls to the bottom of the filter and then you open the drain valve to the filter and turn on the pump to flush out the DE.

The "backwash" valve for an EC-65 is the valve at the bottom of the filter that is connected to a drain line.

superde.jpg

EC65-parts.jpg

I love EC's. :)

so easy to maintain and use...excellent filter.

and when you "backwash" I guess you are really rinsing. but it works and DE etc will go out the backwash pipe. can backwash with this filter to drain pools.

but I see what you all mean about the other filters with a multi port.

• 11 years later...

I did this yesterday and scared myself to death.

I thought I had totally burnt up the pump. 😓 I NEVER turn on backwash & walk away, but I was just having a really crazy day & I did...☹️ by the time I realized, the pump sounded funny & the water had dropped a little in the pool (full size in ground pool)

I began adding water back & let the motor cool for a while. When I checked back later & re started it, the water began to flow again & it seems ok so far. I literally cried because I thought I had totally broke it on Fathers Day in middle of a BBQ 🙈

I still hope I don't find any damage but best advice I can give---never walk away for even a minute!!! I got distracted so quick!!