Ce Error On Hayward Heater

melmanning

Inspected the display/ignition boards once error was seen. Ignition board appeared to have a short on it. Small blackend area at one circuit. Easy I thought obviously the ignition board had shorted out. Ordered and replaced ignition board. Same error. CE appears after about 3s, I understood this to mean communication could not be established between Ign/Display boards? however when I pull the flat cable connecting the two the display goes blank. Have looked on a couple online parts sites and cannot find the flat cable. Or am I barking up the wrong tree? figured the cable was the least expensive part and would order one hoping that was the prob. Any suggestions??

CE code indicates "Communication Error". Problem is communication between integrated control board and display board. Display board (DB) is the one mounted on the backside of the keypad. Integrated control board (ICB) is the one back in the heater behind the display board. The two boards are joined by a ribbon cable that passes communication between the two.

Since there's no way to test the boards in the field, it's a trial and error process. I usually recommend replacing the display board first, but since you had visible damage to the ICB, you were headed in the right direction. The communication ribbon is permanently attached to the display board and cannot be replaced alone. It's not unheard of for this permanent connection to get damaged by stress applied to the permanent connection by installers, or dropping the keypad while it's still connected. You've already replaced the ICB, so the display board will most likely solve the problem.

• 1 year later...

CE code indicates "Communication Error". Problem is communication between integrated control board and display board. Display board (DB) is the one mounted on the backside of the keypad. Integrated control board (ICB) is the one back in the heater behind the display board. The two boards are joined by a ribbon cable that passes communication between the two.

Since there's no way to test the boards in the field, it's a trial and error process. I usually recommend replacing the display board first, but since you had visible damage to the ICB, you were headed in the right direction. The communication ribbon is permanently attached to the display board and cannot be replaced alone. It's not unheard of for this permanent connection to get damaged by stress applied to the permanent connection by installers, or dropping the keypad while it's still connected. You've already replaced the ICB, so the display board will most likely solve the problem.

Hi Folks,

Ran into your older thread and I have the indentical issue. What I needed to find out is can someone tell me what the number printed on the surface mount resistor R15 on the display board and R45 on the main board is? I can fix these boards but as the resistors are completely blown off I do not know what the resistance is to buy replacement resistors. If you've got access to these boards and can look to tell me what the number is on each of these (R15 & R45) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Nick.

• 3 weeks later...

hi everyone, I am having the same CE code on my Hayward H400IDPL2 heater. I originally got the IF code, so I replaced the ignitor - then I got the CE code. Just to let you know = the heater cycled on and ran through the cycles but would not ignite - so that is why I replaced the ignitor. I visually inspected both boards and there is no burnt spots or visible damage. So I just ordered both boards (ouch) because I am having a party in 2 weeks and didn't feel like waiting to try one, then order the other.

I would love to know which board you guys think I should replace first = becasue I have a chance of returning a board if it wasn't installed. So - what are your thoughts? Display board or integrated control board first?

Thanks!

• 10 years later...