New Tub Owner . .few Easy Q's

sewerrat

Tub was setup and filled this morning. Got done around 11am .. . as of right now (4pm) the tub is at 70. :D Was hoping to watch Wisconsin/Ohio State at 7pm and soak afterward, around 10pm, but not sure the tub will be hot enough yet. The maiden soak may have to be tomorrow.

Anyways, on to the few questions:

I have an ozonator (supposedly). What does this do and how do I know its working??

The filter cycle is programmable .. how long should the cycle generally be set for??

The spa is a Nordic Premium.

Thanks!

Tub was setup and filled this morning. Got done around 11am .. . as of right now (4pm) the tub is at 70. :D Was hoping to watch Wisconsin/Ohio State at 7pm and soak afterward, around 10pm, but not sure the tub will be hot enough yet. The maiden soak may have to be tomorrow.

I have an ozonator (supposedly). What does this do and how do I know its working??

The filter cycle is programmable .. how long should the cycle generally be set for??

Thanks!

The ozonator produces ozone gas to be injected into your heated water. Ozone is one of the better additions to hot tubs over the last few years. :) It provides oxidation, which helps to break down contaminants in the water, can kill bacteria, and contributes to the faster breakdown of Chlorine. So you can shock the spa with Chlorine, kill bacteria, and then let the ozone break down the rest of the Chlorine. Makes for a more comfortable soaking experience by reducing Chlorine levels, and getting rid of that strong Chlorine smell.

As far as the filter cycle, the default setting may be adequate. You might play with it a bit over time based on how much you use the spa. Generally though, most spas will filter twice per day, and a couple hours at a time is probably adequate. Keep an eye on your filter as time goes on to make sure it stays cleaned out. :)

Happy Soaking! Welcome to the hot tub club!

Thanks!

I think it depends on how your tub is wired, I think JeremiahR answered already, but you should see little bubbles coming out of the heater / filter lines. You may not be able to tell so much if you don't have a recirc pump going 24/7 though (I do, so it's really easy to see it's working!)

Another way to tell if it's working or not is to look at the line coming from the ozonator into a venturi (google it, but it rougly looks like this >|< the pipe part is where the ozonator hooks in). My ozonator line had a ton of water in it from moving and I had to take it off and put it back on after we got everything set up. You may be able to hear the ozone entering the venturi, because it's a gas and it sounds like the venturi is sucking air in (it is, actually, just not air but ozone).

Sorry no. The venturi draws air through the ozonator and into the spa water. The ozonator, if working, converts some of the oxygen in the air to ozone. EVEN if the ozonator is NOT working, air will still be drawn through it and bubble out into the spa.