How Much Is Too Much Chlorine?

sjt2900

It's not like there is an absolute limit where all of a sudden things catastrophically fail. However, higher levels of chlorine, and more specifically the FC/CYA ratio, will oxidize faster, corrode faster, outgas faster, create more disinfection by-products, etc. Usually, 10 ppm FC is when most would say it's getting too high, at least at typical CYA levels of 30 ppm or higher. 10 ppm FC with 30 ppm CYA in a hot spa is equivalent to the same level of chlorine as 1.6 ppm FC with no CYA which is not much different than one finds in many indoor pools. The main difference being that in the hot spa water, the outgassing of chlorine will be a lot faster so you'll likely smell the chlorine much more.

I would, especially if it was just one time and not every time you soaked. Again, the assumption is that you've used Dichlor initially so there is some CYA in the water -- that significantly moderates chlorine's strength as I described earlier. If you notice bad smells you can always get out early, but I suspect it will be OK though you probably will notice some monochloramine smell as your sweat combines with chlorine, but that would occur even with smaller amounts of chlorine in the tub and is why most people start their soak with around 1 ppm FC or so (to avoid both chlorine and monochloramine smell and to minimize DBP formation during the soak) and then add chlorine after their soak.